What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Tad Williams- Shadowplay

Shadowmarch, the first volume in this series, was a fairly mixed bag (mostly all good), but it ended gripping, tying up every loose end relevant to that novels immediate storyline and leaving me breathless for more.

What at first seemed like a 3/5 ended as a 4.5/5. Genius fantasy storytelling.

I just started the second volume. Considering the first book is regarded as the weakest, I expect great things from this volume (it honestly has a lot to live up too!).

After approximately a decade ( :o ), I'm rereading Philadelphia Fire by John Edgar Wideman.

Let us know how it is! I read his memoir ,"Brothers and Keepers", years ago. I don't read a lot of fiction but I'll bet this would be interesting; the real life incident was so involved, strange and sad.

• Like 1

After approximately a decade ( :o ), I'm rereading Philadelphia Fire by John Edgar Wideman.

Let us know how it is! I read his memoir ,"Brothers and Keepers", years ago. I don't read a lot of fiction but I'll bet this would be interesting; the real life incident was so involved, strange and sad.

I absolutely loved this book all those years ago, and found it to be quite gripping. I'm interested to see how, if at all, I've changed over the past decade! :LOL:

I'll be in touch :)

• Like 1

I just finished Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson.

Set in a small, southern U.S. town, where nothing is as it seems. Once described as a "romp through a world of nearly infinite deceit."

A quick, easy, and Rabelaisian read!

I absolutely loved this book all those years ago, and found it to be quite gripping. I'm interested to see how, if at all, I've changed over the past decade! :LOL:

Oh blueschica, the book is every bit as deep, intricate, and formally compelling as I remembered. It's as devastating and crackling as the fire that permeates it.

• Like 1

Oh blueschica, the book is every bit as deep, intricate, and formally compelling as I remembered. It's as devastating and crackling as the fire that permeates it.

I'll have to look for it at the library today; it sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review!

• Like 1

I'll have to look for it at the library today; it sounds really interesting. Thanks for the review!

No worries at all! If you end up reading it, I'd be interested to hear what you think, too! :)

• Like 1

Crazy, fascinating book .. About halfway thru, and so far, so good .... The author presents his case that hallucinogenic plants were the turning point as far as art, culture, religion and the break from simple hunter gatherers .. He also feels that hallucinations are not limited to the mind, but that the plants actually open portals to other realities and dimensions ..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61PNWYMlbJL.jpg

A month ago I read over half of Rand Paul's "Taking A Stand." I haven't finished it because I began reading a John F. Kennedy biography called "An Unfinished Life" by Robert Dallek. I'm close to finishing the latter.
  • Like 1

This one I'll start in a week or two cause I got a good deal on it

9780446569897_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Please post and let us know how it was. It could be interesting, or it could be a trainwreck ... a trainwreck you can't put down because of everything he did :D