Are you a Bon Jovi fan?

to hell with goodhell

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you a fan of Bon Jovi? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you a Bon Jovi fan?

1. Yes (10 votes [27.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. No (27 votes [72.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.97%

How many Bon Jovi albums do you own?

1. All (1 votes [2.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

2. 1-2 (5 votes [13.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

3. 3-4 (4 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

4. 5-6 (1 votes [2.70%] - View)

5. 7-8 (1 votes [2.70%] - View)

6. 10 (2 votes [5.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

7. 12 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. None (23 votes [62.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

Have you seen Bon Jovi live?

1. Yes (7 votes [18.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

2. No (30 votes [81.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 81.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 11945 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:43 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 21 September 2021 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 21 September 2021 - 10:07 PM, said:

View Postinvisible airwave, on 21 September 2021 - 09:03 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 21 September 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

I have Slippery When Wet on cassette somewhere, I kind of liked that one. Haven't really kept track since then. :huh:

Me with my PFOK cassette by Spin Doctors.  I got that, Ten by PJ and Core by STP in Xmas 93 when I was 13.  Guess which one I rarely listen now. :lol:

Pretty nice Christmas gift!  :ebert:

I love Al DiMeola! And do you get PBS public television shows in the UK?  Maybe after a few months? (We get all the BBC stuff . . . . and Call The Midwife for like the 45th time)

There has been a really interesting Muhammed Ali documentary on the last 3 nights, I think the last night is tomorrow.  They have film of all of his big fights; it's very interesting when they talk about his stance, movement, types of punches he used, etc., as well as his life and politics. I thought of you and your boxing thread.

Posted Image

Sponsored Post

#42 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 99572 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 10:52 PM

View Postblueschica, on 21 September 2021 - 10:43 PM, said:

I have Slippery When Wet on cassette somewhere, I kind of liked that one. Haven't really kept track since then. :huh:

Me with my PFOK cassette by Spin Doctors.  I got that, Ten by PJ and Core by STP in Xmas 93 when I was 13.  Guess which one I rarely listen now. :lol:

I love Al DiMeola! And do you get PBS public television shows in the UK?  Maybe after a few months? (We get all the BBC stuff . . . . and Call The Midwife for like the 45th time)

There has been a really interesting Muhammed Ali documentary on the last 3 nights, I think the last night is tomorrow.  They have film of all of his big fights; it's very interesting when they talk about his stance, movement, types of punches he used, etc., as well as his life and politics. I thought of you and your boxing thread.

Posted Image
I don't know if we get them Becky, to be honest I hardly watch TV these days. I used to watch it all the time back in the 70's and most of the 80's. I do watch boxing events of course and football. There's a big heavyweight fight this weekend in fact. The current unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua takes on former undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk. And in two weeks it will be WBC heavyweight champ Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder in their trilogy fight. The first fight was a draw and the second fight was a one-sided beatdown KO for Fury. I thought Fury easily won the first fight as well actually, but the judges declared it a draw.

#43 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 99572 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:08 PM

#44 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 11945 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:17 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 21 September 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

Posted Image
I don't know if we get them Becky, to be honest I hardly watch TV these days. I used to watch it all the time back in the 70's and most of the 80's. I do watch boxing events of course and football. There's a big heavyweight fight this weekend in fact. The current unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua takes on former undisputed cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk. And in two weeks it will be WBC heavyweight champ Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder in their trilogy fight. The first fight was a draw and the second fight was a one-sided beatdown KO for Fury. I thought Fury easily won the first fight as well actually, but the judges declared it a draw.

Those two I have heard of, Fury and Wilder, not really aware of the cruiserweights.  So will Fury win this third one as well do you think?

#45 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 99572 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:10 AM

View Postblueschica, on 21 September 2021 - 11:17 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 21 September 2021 - 10:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

Those two I have heard of, Fury and Wilder, not really aware of the cruiserweights.  So will Fury win this third one as well do you think?
I think so, unless Wilder lands a big swing lucky punch.

Here's the other two, Joshua isn't a cruserweight though he's 6'6 and 250lb.

#46 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 86472 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:27 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 21 September 2021 - 02:57 PM, said:

The only acceptable answers are No, None and No.
:P

#47 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 11668 posts
  • Interests:Living things

Objects

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:08 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 21 September 2021 - 02:57 PM, said:

The only acceptable answers are No, None and No.

Well, it's yes to the final one, but that was due to the fact I was trying to get with this really fit girl who loved them...took her to see them (slippery when wet tour) and it was predictably hideous...worst thing is, I got nowhere with her...bah!

I actually saw them again at Donnington Monsters of Rock and have fond memories of them being pelted with clods of earth, rocks and bottles of piss.

#48 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

Natural Science Theater 3000

• Members
  • 33502 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:43 AM

At least it wasn't their follow up.  Even in junior high I knew something was a little off with Cleopatra's Cat.  Terrible choice for a leadoff single.

Edited by invisible airwave, 22 September 2021 - 10:43 AM.

#49 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 36519 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:03 PM

I wonder if the people who vehemently hate them also hate their contemporaries (Def Leppard, post-1987 Whitesnake, Motley Crue) with the same passion.  I'm not a fan, per se, but I don't think their first few albums are so different from what lots of other so-called "hair bands" were doing.

#50 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 93875 posts
  • Interests:marxism, hate, subjugating the individual to the state, the Great Purges, the Holodomor, the Cultural Revolution, the Great Leap Forward, the New York Times

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:12 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 22 September 2021 - 12:03 PM, said:

I wonder if the people who vehemently hate them also hate their contemporaries (Def Leppard, post-1987 Whitesnake, Motley Crue) with the same passion.  I'm not a fan, per se, but I don't think their first few albums are so different from what lots of other so-called "hair bands" were doing.

Fahrenheit 451 was certainly a page turner but after that I kind of lost interest.

#51 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 21800 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:13 PM

slippery when wet in particular is all part of that Crue, Whitesnake leppard vein.  look and all.  you're right.  they're not worlds apart at all.

Mick

#52 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 13402 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:14 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 22 September 2021 - 12:13 PM, said:

slippery when wet in particular is all part of that Crue, Whitesnake leppard vein.  look and all.  you're right.  they're not worlds apart at all.

Mick

Slippery When Wet is better than any Motley Crue album I've ever heard.

Leppard reigns supreme though.

#53 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 21800 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:17 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 22 September 2021 - 12:14 PM, said:

Mick

Crue sucks.  i know they have a lot of fans but i think they're just about the worst, lol.  and I agree........Bon Jovi wishes they wrote Pyromania.

Mick

#54 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 13402 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:20 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 22 September 2021 - 12:17 PM, said:

Mick

Crue sucks.  i know they have a lot of fans but i think they're just about the worst, lol.  and I agree........Bon Jovi wishes they wrote Pyromania.

Mick

I don't hate the Crue, but Vince Neil has a very limited instrument, and even their best albums are run of the mill in places. Shout At The Devil is really not helped by the Helter Skelter cover for instance.

Pyromania is probably the greatest album out of the whole hair metal / pop metal / glam metal scene, supposing we're not including Van Halen. Even then it's pretty close.

#55 IbanezJem

IbanezJem

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 6622 posts
  • Interests:Very few interests, but many passions

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:22 PM

I`ll never cease to be amazed by Leppard`s popularity, but I guess that`s on me after all this time. I have no idea what song it was, but I watched a minute of one of their videos and the solo was like listening to someone learning to play guitar.

#56 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 36519 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:51 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 22 September 2021 - 12:12 PM, said:

Fahrenheit 451 was certainly a page turner but after that I kind of lost interest.

Be honest.  You learned what temperature melts rock because of that album.

#57 alpha p

alpha p

The Seeker

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:02 PM

Also first saw them 84 UK Kiss tour and they were good to be fair. Then saw them on the next 3 tours up to and including New Jersey, at Milton Keynes Bowl in 89 (when Donington was cancelled that year); but not seen them live since.

Still have the first 4 albums, and occasional play the 1st (best ??) album, but never the full album.

They were ok back in the 80s but havent aged well.

#58 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:29 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 21 September 2021 - 02:38 PM, said:

I just thought I'd root out the Bon Jovi fans, since I was surprised to see a couple in here recently.

Well considering that November Rain made the top 4 in here for power ballads.....which is a complete joke in of itself.....I don’t think rooting out Bon Jovi fans is some kind of holy crusade.

Bon Jovi actually wrote many hits, sold 10’s upon 10’s of millions of albums......and have a legion of adoring fans around the world.

Guns and Roses on the other hand had one great album.....their debut. Since then it has been nothing but bloated...overrated dog shit with a lead vocalist that is cringeworthy.

But yeah that debut album was a killer. I love it.....the rest of their material....meh.

What does that have to do with Bon Jovi? Well they got better and better, and then got old.....and while I only like 4 of their albums...they were extreme professionals live, always put on kick ass shows.....and were always on time.

I think passing judgement on peoples musical tastes is really misguided. And seeing that in a Rush forum......oh the f***ing irony.

Edited by Todem, 22 September 2021 - 01:30 PM.

#59 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2605 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:34 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 22 September 2021 - 12:20 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 22 September 2021 - 12:17 PM, said:

Mick

Mick

I don't hate the Crue, but Vince Neil has a very limited instrument, and even their best albums are run of the mill in places. Shout At The Devil is really not helped by the Helter Skelter cover for instance.

Pyromania is probably the greatest album out of the whole hair metal / pop metal / glam metal scene, supposing we're not including Van Halen. Even then it's pretty close.

I would agree Pyromania is one of the absolute tops legendary hair metal albums of all time. I would put Whitesnake’s self titled right there with them (sizzles front to back). But also......Slippery When Wet was a monster album....just a monster and is also in that top echelon of hair/pop metal glam genre.

#60 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 99572 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

View PostTodem, on 22 September 2021 - 01:29 PM, said:

View Posttreeduck, on 21 September 2021 - 02:38 PM, said:

I just thought I'd root out the Bon Jovi fans, since I was surprised to see a couple in here recently.

Well considering that November Rain made the top 4 in here for power ballads.....which is a complete joke in of itself.....I don’t think rooting out Bon Jovi fans is some kind of holy crusade.

Bon Jovi actually wrote many hits, sold 10’s upon 10’s of millions of albums......and have a legion of adoring fans around the world.

Guns and Roses on the other hand had one great album.....their debut. Since then it has been nothing but bloated...overrated dog shit with a lead vocalist that is cringeworthy.

But yeah that debut album was a killer. I love it.....the rest of their material....meh.

What does that have to do with Bon Jovi? Well they got better and better, and then got old.....and while I only like 4 of their albums...they were extreme professionals live, always put on kick ass shows.....and were always on time.

I think passing judgement on peoples musical tastes is really misguided. And seeing that in a Rush forum......oh the f***ing irony.
Are you taking a pop at me? You're going to have to do better. :hi:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users