Jump to content


3 Years Ago Today David Bowie Passed Away


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

I can't believe it has been 3 years since his passing.

Blackstar is one of my favorite albums of the 21st century and my second favorite album by Bowie.

:rose:

Sponsored Post

#2 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 6457 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

Sadly his passing was the catalyst for my discovery of much of his music. He stands as my fifth favorite artist (music wise), and proudly so. I had a mini marathon of three of his many classics yesterday: Heroes, Ziggy, and Hunky. Plus I got through a good bit of Blackstar earlier in the day. Brilliant, brilliant artist. Sorely missed, but not for lack of great work to remember him by. Thank goodness he was so prolific and often incredibly consistent.

#3 custom55

custom55

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 7544 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    On deck shows:

    The Rolling Stones BOSTON 7/7, NJ 8/1 and NJ 8/5

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:24 PM

A very sad day indeed.   An artist who was in constant change and for the better.

#4 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 8561 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 10 January 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Sadly his passing was the catalyst for my discovery of much of his music. He stands as my fifth favorite artist (music wise), and proudly so. I had a mini marathon of three of his many classics yesterday: Heroes, Ziggy, and Hunky. Plus I got through a good bit of Blackstar earlier in the day. Brilliant, brilliant artist. Sorely missed, but not for lack of great work to remember him by. Thank goodness he was so prolific and often incredibly consistent.

Those are three awesome choices.  Hunky Dory is one of my all time favorite albums.  Such a loss for rock, everywhere.

#5 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

    The Dream Police

  • Members
  • 46967 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

:(

#6 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84202 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:45 AM

Sad day...   :rose:

#7 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 619 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

I bought Blackstar the day it came out and remember thinking it was his best album in about 35 years. Then he died four days later and you realized that he made it knowing it would be his last album and the lyrics took on a whole new meaning.

#8 Oracle

Oracle

    Solar Federalist

  • Members *
  • 2223 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southwest Ohio
  • Interests:Basically anything that can interest me.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

I never really got into Bowie until Phish did Ziggy Stardust as their musical costume on Halloween night 2016. Been hooked ever since.

#9 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3315 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:38 AM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 11 January 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

I bought Blackstar the day it came out and remember thinking it was his best album in about 35 years. Then he died four days later and you realized that he made it knowing it would be his last album and the lyrics took on a whole new meaning.

Its weird how a piece of work has a different perspective based on the events that occur in someones life.

#10 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 27247 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

Some of Bowie’s work is amongst my favorite by anyone.  Some of it does nothing for me.

#11 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 619 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

My favorite Bowie album is Station to Station but there are at least 10-12 throughout his career that you can make a case for. His 71-83 run is basically untouchable in the history of rock music.

#12 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 6457 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 12 January 2019 - 03:15 PM, said:

My favorite Bowie album is Station to Station but there are at least 10-12 throughout his career that you can make a case for. His 71-83 run is basically untouchable in the history of music.

fixed

#13 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

    Many Happy Returns

  • Members *
  • 8000 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:24 PM

Has it really been 3 years?

#14 invisible airwave

invisible airwave

    Natural Science Theater 3000

  • Members
  • 21215 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upland,CA

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

90 something perfect of what I listened to for a month after he died was nothing but him.

#15 Weakly Criminal

Weakly Criminal

    Stop voting republicRAT

  • Members *
  • 14002 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Terrell, TX
  • Interests:Speaking truth to evil, partying, sports and outdoors, avoiding growing up.

Posted 23 January 2019 - 01:33 AM

If you haven't seen the documentary on Bowie's last year's on AXS you simply must. It's not negotiable. Do it!

Such a genius, such an asshole. Such an influence.

#16 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4654 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Pulled Heroes of the shelf about 10 minutes ago and discovered this thread.

For me Blackstar and Queen's Innuendo will always be linked though I suppose Warren Zevon's The Wind would be close by.

#17 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 27247 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostWeakly Criminal, on 23 January 2019 - 01:33 AM, said:

If you haven't seen the documentary on Bowie's last year's on AXS you simply must. It's not negotiable. Do it!

Such a genius, such an asshole. Such an influence.

In the early 80s, Hit Parader had an interview with Krokus.  Marc Storace talked about how much they admired Bowie, and how he sort of mentored them.  One quote which I'm confident I have almost verbatim was, "Bowie told us Adolf was the best thing to ever happen to Austria.  For us, he's another Adolf."  Imagine saying that now.

#18 Derek19

Derek19

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 734 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Comox, B.C.
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

I like David Bowie, his music, and listen to it, too.  I miss seeing, and hearing news about him.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users