Ghost release new single: Rats!

jamie

I like it but there's something putting me off. I think it's too poppy. Yes, they've always had pop hooks but it was still metal and it was still Ghost. This song is still Ghost but way more pop than they've ever been. It was bound to happen with the increasing success though.

I would like it if it felt more tongue in cheek or ironic but it just sounds bland. However it is very catchy and if this is album filler...its at least the bopping kind!

I like it but there's something putting me off. I think it's too poppy. Yes, they've always had pop hooks but it was still metal and it was still Ghost. This song is still Ghost but way more pop than they've ever been. It was bound to happen with the increasing success though.

It's a serious embarrassment to the Ghost Nation.

Funny how I did a poll Forge VS Wilson. Now both want to go POP! Killing me.

"POP!" by UPOO. Also one of the worst albums ever made on the planet. POOP!

Making that trek down to Riverside to see them on opening night was still totally worth it.

But of course Forge and his too many Nameless Fools are going in a comical crappy corporate conundrum of commercial Cardinal Copia Crud. Might as well watch the B movie "C.H.U.D." More like DUD.

Who knows maybe this album is a pop masterwork and in context this song is killer. Sometimes singles make little impact until the album is finally out
  • Like 1

The "bewitch you" / "be wit-choo" ambivalence bugs me.

I'm happy he says "bewitch". It fits with the whole Ghost image. I thought it was "be with you" the first time I heard it. I was thinking 'damn Toby what the f**k did you just do?'. I was elated when I scrolled down the youtube comments and saw the lyrics. That saved the song from being a complete sell out pop disaster for me.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Who knows maybe this album is a pop masterwork and in context this song is killer. Sometimes singles make little impact until the album is finally out

Only time will tell.

I liked the other new songs I heard over this pop tune.

Only time will tell.

Maybe it's just one of those songs written to be a single but doesn't represent the album as a whole.

Only time will tell.

Maybe it's just one of those songs written to be a single but doesn't represent the album as a whole.

This baffles my mind J as I read how this new album was going to be very heavy. I am sure you are correct. Hoping it will grow on me.

Sadly "To The Bone" by SW never did.

Alas I am still a GHOST SOLDIER. My LA Forum ticket came today.

Who knows what they will do visually and musically by November.

I am a strange dude as you know.

As I told Tobias three years ago in Reno that Ghost is my new Rush since they retired.

Well? What the Hell!

I was at the LA Forum to see the final Rush show.

Now the next show I see there will be GHOST.

A true passing of the torch. Yet GHOST can't even hold a burning black candle to RUSH!

Dance Macabre sounds very dated...I can't tell what I think its...a typical eighties sounding song that hundreds of bands in the 00s wrote.

It's something HIM did far better.

I prefer figs over dates. I will never date again. :P

Hey "You And I" have another connection. "HIM" is a wonderful band. I love "HE IS" too!

Love,

YES!

LOL

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

"Dark Light!"

I love that album! You would probably enjoy Love Metal as well.

• Like 1

"Dark Light!"

I love that album! You would probably enjoy Love Metal as well.

Hahaha!

So funny Michael.

I love "Love Metal."

I have all the HIM stuff.

I actually have the rare "Dark Light" metal tin with all of the band's autographs and lyrics hand written.

Classic.

We are brothers.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Soooooooo,

I listen to Octane on Sirus/XM a lot. So I heard this song called Rat's and immediately loved it. It took me right back to my day's in the 80's cranking Dio, Ozzy and Sabbath.

I bought everything they have produced thus far and have pre-ordered the new album. My son and I are hooked big time. I hope they decide to one day come to Florida. We will no doubt go see them live, as they are even better in a live setting.

What a killer f***ing band.

• Like 4

Soooooooo,

I listen to Octane on Sirus/XM a lot. So I heard this song called Rat's and immediately loved it. It took me right back to my day's in the 80's cranking Dio, Ozzy and Sabbath.

I bought everything they have produced thus far and have pre-ordered the new album. My son and I are hooked big time. I hope they decide to one day come to Florida. We will no doubt go see them live, as they are even better in a live setting.

I heard Dance Macabre live on Saturday night and it was the first time I had heard the song. I loved it. I pulled it up on google play and played it on the way home from the show and my wife looked at me and says "it sounded way better live." I have to agree with her.
  • Like 1

Soooooooo,

I heard Dance Macabre live on Saturday night and it was the first time I had heard the song. I loved it. I pulled it up on google play and played it on the way home from the show and my wife looked at me and says "it sounded way better live." I have to agree with her.

Yeah, after some careful contemplation I really don't care for the song. The melodic hooks are there but lyrically it's just so beneath what Tobias can do. This shitty pop tune should be on the next volume of now that's what I call music.

• Like 1

So...

Never really cared for what I've heard from this band, and their openly "satanic" lyrics definitely didn't click with main the past, but since I've learned they treat this whole thing as the entertainment it is, pentagrams and stuff just to piss some old folks off (certainly not the first band to do that, and hopefully not the last), I've thought maybe I could dig them.

I caught the newest song in another thread and I enjoyed it mostly, so I came to this thread and Rats is undeniably ear candy in the most fun, cartoonish sort of way. I'll probably never love these guys to death as many here do, not until I hear their equivalent of Rock And Roll All Night, but I appreciate what they do now, and I enjoy the few songs I've heard.

Think I'll give this a listen on the old Spotify app once it comes out.

So...

Never really cared for what I've heard from this band, and their openly "satanic" lyrics definitely didn't click with main the past, but since I've learned they treat this whole thing as the entertainment it is, pentagrams and stuff just to piss some old folks off (certainly not the first band to do that, and hopefully not the last), I've thought maybe I could dig them.

I caught the newest song in another thread and I enjoyed it mostly, so I came to this thread and Rats is undeniably ear candy in the most fun, cartoonish sort of way. I'll probably never love these guys to death as many here do, not until I hear their equivalent of Rock And Roll All Night, but I appreciate what they do now, and I enjoy the few songs I've heard.

Think I'll give this a listen on the old Spotify app once it comes out.

It still amazes me that so many people think that Satanic themed lyrics in metal are for real. I figured everyone knew by now that 99 percent of the bands who do that aren't serious about it. They're just following Sabbath's lead and using it to help with the dark imagery of metal.

• Like 1

This band and this song has really grown on me. I just bought this song off iTunes and I think I might buy Square Hammer. I saw them in concert last summer with Iron Maiden and they were fantastic. Edited by Leanne
  • Like 1

This band and this song has really grown on me. I just bought this song off iTunes and I think I might buy Square Hammer. I saw them in concert last summer with Iron Maiden and they were fantastic.

Square Hammer is awesome. They are certainly a lot better live.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

New album is very good. Dance Macabre still sucks major donkey balls but the rest of it is the Ghost we've come to love. I could do without two five minute instrumentals though. One is fine but I'm not sure another was needed.

Earl, the saxophone you saw live is not an issue since it's actually part of the song. It wasn't some improv thing that didn't have a purpose.

Favorite Songs: Everything but Dance Macabre lol.

• Like 2

New album is very good. Dance Macabre still sucks major donkey balls but the rest of it is the Ghost we've come to love. I could do without two five minute instrumentals though. One is fine but I'm not sure another was needed.

Earl, the saxophone you saw live is not an issue since it's actually part of the song. It wasn't some improv thing that didn't have a purpose.

Favorite Songs: Everything but Dance Macabre lol.

LOL! Got it! It is what it is. Hope they change it though by November.

It's May 31st how are you already hearing the new record?