Consistently good vs. inconsistent live singers

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5239 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:15 AM

View Postgoose, on 02 March 2018 - 11:14 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 02 March 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 02 March 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 02 March 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

And As much as i love Freddie Mercury,  He could be all over the map.

Mick

Maybe as far as hitting high notes on any particular night, but he never gave any performance less than his absolute all, and whether or not his singing was quite perfect that night, one would always walk away feeling thoroughly entertained. You can't say he was ever an inconsistent all around performer and front man.

Perhaps, but now you’re getting away from the thread point and getting into an even more subjective observation.  By that measure, Ozzy still entertains the crowd now.  His voice is shot though.

Oh no I realize I'm not talking about the thread topic anymore, I just wanted to make sure Freddie's case was fully presented. Yes, he could be inconsistent as a singer live, for various reasons such as writing parts that were too high or technical for him to hit night after night, or just from being so athletic on stage, or for his illness around 1986 first becoming noticeable. I don't deny that at all, but I also care very little if he's having an off night vocally when I watch footage or when I listen to the recordings, because everything else about his performance was always kept to an outstanding standard.
Freddie was consistently good.

yeah, like, despite what I've said, he was too good of a singer to ever let himself sound anything close to bad. What I mean by inconsistent is he wouldn't always reach the enormously high standard he set for himself in the studio, he would often settle for something easier on his voice or more suited for a live setting, even if it wasn't as amazing, as long as it was still good.
Sometimes the result was better than the studio, like with Spread Your Wings.

so true actually.

Honestly...the live recording of Somebody To Love from the deluxe version of ADATR is the only Queen recording that can actually contend with Bo Rhap for title of my favorite thing they've ever done, whereas the studio version is a solid like 5th place in my top ten Queen tunes.

Sponsored Post

#22 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:30 AM

I happen to love Graham Bonnet
I'm a card carrying fan of old Iron Lungs myself.

Bonnet live in 2016 singing 'Only one woman'. Aged 68.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wriom3Y4_hM

Powerful.

Edited by thirteen, 03 March 2018 - 04:35 AM.

#23 Amps211

Amps211

The Seeker

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Rock and folk music and family and beer

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:22 AM

Burton Cummings .. consistent (underrated underrated underrated underrated)

Robert Plant .. inconsistent (but Mr Plant still sits right at the very top of my best rock singers all-time list ... it's not even disputable really .. Robert always wins)

#24 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 24383 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 02 March 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 02 March 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

And As much as i love Freddie Mercury,  He could be all over the map.

Mick

Maybe as far as hitting high notes on any particular night, but he never gave any performance less than his absolute all, and whether or not his singing was quite perfect that night, one would always walk away feeling thoroughly entertained. You can't say he was ever an inconsistent all around performer and front man.

Perhaps, but now you’re getting away from the thread point and getting into an even more subjective observation.  By that measure, Ozzy still entertains the crowd now.  His voice is shot though.

Oh no I realize I'm not talking about the thread topic anymore, I just wanted to make sure Freddie's case was fully presented. Yes, he could be inconsistent as a singer live, for various reasons such as writing parts that were too high or technical for him to hit night after night, or just from being so athletic on stage, or for his illness around 1986 first becoming noticeable. I don't deny that at all, but I also care very little if he's having an off night vocally when I watch footage or when I listen to the recordings, because everything else about his performance was always kept to an outstanding standard.

I’m going to see Ozzy in September on his farewell tour.  He is IMO the greatest frontman ever, challenged only by Dave in his heyday.  I have no doubt I’m going to leave having thoroughly enjoyed it, in no small part because it is always obvious that Ozzy does.

#25 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 24383 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostRod in Toronto, on 02 March 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

James LaBrie is the king of inconsistency. Russel Allen is jaw-droppingly excellent.

Dio also ALWAYS delivered!

I saw his second to last show ever (Ronnie that is, Dream Theater is not for me).  His voice was not great, but, like Ozzy, Ronnie so obviously loved his job and the fans that the show was a lot of fun.  When I saw him on the Last in Line tour, his voice was spot on perfect.

#26 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4485 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

as painful as this is to admit, Chris Cornell was inconsistent over the past 10 years. Drinking and rough singing started to get to his voice. But he could melt paint off the walls back in the day.

Anthony Keidis is inconsistent, which actually might be a compliment for him.

Layne Staley was consistent up until the drugs really took over post AIC.

A little combo of Chris and Layne here:

https://www.youtube....h?v=z1nXI8lgicg

Death sucks.

Edited by HemiBeers, 03 March 2018 - 10:15 AM.

#27 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46313 posts
  • Interests:R.E.M., Bill Berry, Mike Mills, Michael Stipe, Peter Buck ,Hanging out with my best friends Heather Sylv and Jas, Drawing and drumming, thinking about life, photography, listening to music, writing.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Robert Smith :heart:

#28 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32034 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:15 AM

View PostHemiBeers, on 03 March 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Anthony Keidis is inconsistent, which actually might be a compliment for him.

He’s consistently crap! :P

#29 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridge™

• Members *
  • 10171 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

Believe it or not , Billy Ocean is very consistent...saw him a couple of years ago and he still nailed every high note.

Doug Pinnick sad to say is now inconsistent...whilst he still has a nice voice, his top range is just gone...in his day I would have ranked him amongst the very best, but since approx 2000 he has declined.

Sting has been pretty consistent

Bruce Dickinson has been consistent.

#30 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17505 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:28 AM

Pre "retirement" Phil collins was way consistent.

I dunno how he is now in his second run.

but every concert i heard pre retirement he was always on.

Mick

#31 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:46 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 04 March 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

Mick

I've seen a couple videos of Phil that were from the last year or two and he has issues.  During his heyday, he was fantastic live.

Vocal issues aside, I'd still be completely shocked if Genesis doesn't do another album in the next couple of years.

#32 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5239 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 05 March 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

Mick

I've seen a couple videos of Phil that were from the last year or two and he has issues.  During his heyday, he was fantastic live.

Vocal issues aside, I'd still be completely shocked if Genesis doesn't do another album in the next couple of years.

Mike is doing stuff with the mechanics, Gabriel is as anti-reunion as ever (though he's been pretty quiet musically, but that's normal I guess), Phil can't drum anymore and is promoting his solo back-catalogue, I have no clue what Tony's doing, and Hackett is probably the only one who would seriously push for a reunion, and ironically has the least say in whether or not one would happen.

EDIT: You know, I could see Tony talking Mike into it, especially once he's done with the new mechanics stuff, but then it would be up to Phil, and I still think that's kind of unpredictable. Regardless, if that's how it came about, I have little faith that they could get Gabriel back in the picture, and even less that they would ask Hackett back if Gabriel wasn't onboard already.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo, 06 March 2018 - 12:57 PM.

#33 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17505 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 06 March 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Mick

Mike is doing stuff with the mechanics, Gabriel is as anti-reunion as ever (though he's been pretty quiet musically, but that's normal I guess), Phil can't drum anymore and is promoting his solo back-catalogue, I have no clue what Tony's doing, and Hackett is probably the only one who would seriously push for a reunion, and ironically has the least say in whether or not one would happen.

EDIT: You know, I could see Tony talking Mike into it, especially once he's done with the new mechanics stuff, but then it would be up to Phil, and I still think that's kind of unpredictable. Regardless, if that's how it came about, I have little faith that they could get Gabriel back in the picture, and even less that they would ask Hackett back if Gabriel wasn't onboard already.

I think in the State phil's in Psychically.  you couldn't drag him into another full Genesis tour.  maybe.....Maybe an album.  and even that's iffy.

forget Peter.  you will Never see a Gabriel era re-grouping.  not that i'm that into it to begin with......actually i don't and have never wanted it, lol

Mick

#34 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5239 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:43 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 06 March 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

Mick

I think in the State phil's in Psychically.  you couldn't drag him into another full Genesis tour.  maybe.....Maybe an album.  and even that's iffy.

forget Peter.  you will Never see a Gabriel era re-grouping.  not that i'm that into it to begin with......actually i don't and have never wanted it, lol

Mick

I don't care much if there's a Gabriel era reunion. Peter has done so much outside of Genesis and Genesis have done so much without him and Phil could always do all of the old material anyway. What makes me sad is that, if there were to be a reunion, Steve probably wouldn't be there, and I'd love to have Steve there. Sure they could do all of his songs without him, just as he does all of the old songs without any of them in Genesis revisited, but look, he obviously still wants to be playing that music, he tours it with Genesis revisited, and if the trio that went on after him got together and was also playing that music, it just seems much more natural that Steve should be there with them to play The Musical Box and Supper's Ready than whoever they get to replace him. Now, of course that begs the question of what about the songs they did without Steve, many of which they would have to play. Would Steve just have to learn or invent guitar parts for Mama, Behind The Lines, Invisible Touch? Where would that leave Mike on some songs? Would Steve just be asked politely to leave the stage for that part of the show?

Thus, I don't think Steve would be asked to be part of a Genesis reunion, apart from the fact that some of the band and him don't really get along still. And that makes me sad, because I'd much rather see the Second's Out version of Supper's Ready than one without Steve or without Phil, Tony, and Mike, but that's not going to happen. I think the only way Steve will be asked back is if they somehow got Gabriel back on board, as I can't imagine many more absurd line-ups than one which includes Gabriel, Mike, Tony, and Phil, but not Steve.

#35 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17505 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 06 March 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

Mick

Mick

I don't care much if there's a Gabriel era reunion. Peter has done so much outside of Genesis and Genesis have done so much without him and Phil could always do all of the old material anyway. What makes me sad is that, if there were to be a reunion, Steve probably wouldn't be there, and I'd love to have Steve there. Sure they could do all of his songs without him, just as he does all of the old songs without any of them in Genesis revisited, but look, he obviously still wants to be playing that music, he tours it with Genesis revisited, and if the trio that went on after him got together and was also playing that music, it just seems much more natural that Steve should be there with them to play The Musical Box and Supper's Ready than whoever they get to replace him. Now, of course that begs the question of what about the songs they did without Steve, many of which they would have to play. Would Steve just have to learn or invent guitar parts for Mama, Behind The Lines, Invisible Touch? Where would that leave Mike on some songs? Would Steve just be asked politely to leave the stage for that part of the show?

Thus, I don't think Steve would be asked to be part of a Genesis reunion, apart from the fact that some of the band and him don't really get along still. And that makes me sad, because I'd much rather see the Second's Out version of Supper's Ready than one without Steve or without Phil, Tony, and Mike, but that's not going to happen. I think the only way Steve will be asked back is if they somehow got Gabriel back on board, as I can't imagine many more absurd line-ups than one which includes Gabriel, Mike, Tony, and Phil, but not Steve.

i think it would awkward having steve on the post steve songs.  which is why i don't see him coming back.  it would be a very restricted show.  add to that.....i have heard phil say he was never fond of prog to begin with.  if that's really true.  kudos to him for playing it so long, lol

and tony has said good stuff about gabriel era.......BUT he's also said some harsh stuff about it too.  Tony is a strange dude, lol

Mick

#36 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5239 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 06 March 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Mick

Mick

i think it would awkward having steve on the post steve songs.  which is why i don't see him coming back.  it would be a very restricted show.  add to that.....i have heard phil say he was never fond of prog to begin with.  if that's really true.  kudos to him for playing it so long, lol

and tony has said good stuff about gabriel era.......BUT he's also said some harsh stuff about it too.  Tony is a strange dude, lol

Mick

Tony has probably had the single biggest influence on Genesis creatively throughout the years, and aside from Phil's drumming might've been the best musician in the band, which also makes it sad that he's such a non-frontman figure, especially outside of the band, that he has very little say in any chance at a reunion.

I feel like there's definitely a way that they could do a reunion with Steve, even with Gabriel, and still manage both eras and both fanbases, but it would probably step on most of the band members' egos and would still probably piss a number of fans off, which is why it won't happen.

#37 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17505 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 06 March 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Mick

Mick

Mick

Tony has probably had the single biggest influence on Genesis creatively throughout the years, and aside from Phil's drumming might've been the best musician in the band, which also makes it sad that he's such a non-frontman figure, especially outside of the band, that he has very little say in any chance at a reunion.

I feel like there's definitely a way that they could do a reunion with Steve, even with Gabriel, and still manage both eras and both fanbases, but it would probably step on most of the band members' egos and would still probably piss a number of fans off, which is why it won't happen.

when people Blame Phil alone for the pop direction.  i always pull this Phil quote out.

"you try getting Tony Banks to do something he doesn't want to do!"

i LOVE that quote.

Mick

#38 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5239 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 06 March 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 06 March 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Mick

Mick

Mick

when people Blame Phil alone for the pop direction.  i always pull this Phil quote out.

"you try getting Tony Banks to do something he doesn't want to do!"

i LOVE that quote.

Mick

Yeah, lol. I don't think he really left himself anywhere more to go with the prog stuff after Wind And Wuthering, though he tried. Abacab had probably been coming for a while in Tony's eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users