Consistently good vs. inconsistent live singers

toymaker

I mean vocalists who don't really seem to need any help from technology, and who have maintained their youthful timbre over time - although I suppose a sub-category could be singers who were consistently good in their younger days - Ian Anderson, Phil Collins...

Just to start off:

Consistently good: Jon Anderson, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Freddy Mercury, Tom Petty

Inconsistent: Geddy Lee, Robert Plant, Joe Elliot

• Like 1

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u-PjvRyr0I&sns=em

First, Nancy Wilson looks unbelievably hot for her age, and has great hair.

Second, Ann Wilson also looks smokin' and is pretty much nailing the tune.

Third, the backup singers are completely unnecessary.

Fourth, Plant looks caught between wistful pride and about to burst into tears

• Like 3

I don't agree that Paul McCartney still has it...I've seen clips of some live performances over the last couple years and they are cringe-worthy. It seems his vocal chords decided to retire a couple years ago.

That being said...he was a tremendous singer, song-writer for decade after decade and had a truly unique, wonderful voice. Unfortunately, it's mostly gone now.

What's the consensus on Bruce Dickinson? I haven't heard much from him lately, but was always amazed at how well he continued to sing...considering how much it sounded like he strained his vocal chords on a regular basis.

He's still pretty good live. But when I saw them last summer his voice was showing signs of wear but they had also been touring for two years at that point and were towards the end of the tour. So that no doubt played a factor in his voice being a little weaker. He's never taken any singing lessons and his voice is all natural. That's where the vocal strain comes from.

• Like 1

I happen to love Graham Bonnet

And at age 70, he still brings it ..

Some of the notes he hits here are remarkable ..( singing starts @5:55 if interested )

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

And As much as i love Freddie Mercury, He could be all over the map.

Mick

Maybe as far as hitting high notes on any particular night, but he never gave any performance less than his absolute all, and whether or not his singing was quite perfect that night, one would always walk away feeling thoroughly entertained. You can't say he was ever an inconsistent all around performer and front man.

• Like 1

Mick

Maybe as far as hitting high notes on any particular night, but he never gave any performance less than his absolute all, and whether or not his singing was quite perfect that night, one would always walk away feeling thoroughly entertained. You can't say he was ever an inconsistent all around performer and front man.

Perhaps, but now you’re getting away from the thread point and getting into an even more subjective observation. By that measure, Ozzy still entertains the crowd now. His voice is shot though.

• Like 1

Mick

Perhaps, but now you’re getting away from the thread point and getting into an even more subjective observation. By that measure, Ozzy still entertains the crowd now. His voice is shot though.

Oh no I realize I'm not talking about the thread topic anymore, I just wanted to make sure Freddie's case was fully presented. Yes, he could be inconsistent as a singer live, for various reasons such as writing parts that were too high or technical for him to hit night after night, or just from being so athletic on stage, or for his illness around 1986 first becoming noticeable. I don't deny that at all, but I also care very little if he's having an off night vocally when I watch footage or when I listen to the recordings, because everything else about his performance was always kept to an outstanding standard.

Mick

Oh no I realize I'm not talking about the thread topic anymore, I just wanted to make sure Freddie's case was fully presented. Yes, he could be inconsistent as a singer live, for various reasons such as writing parts that were too high or technical for him to hit night after night, or just from being so athletic on stage, or for his illness around 1986 first becoming noticeable. I don't deny that at all, but I also care very little if he's having an off night vocally when I watch footage or when I listen to the recordings, because everything else about his performance was always kept to an outstanding standard.

Freddie was consistently good.
  • Like 1

Mick

yeah, like, despite what I've said, he was too good of a singer to ever let himself sound anything close to bad. What I mean by inconsistent is he wouldn't always reach the enormously high standard he set for himself in the studio, he would often settle for something easier on his voice or more suited for a live setting, even if it wasn't as amazing, as long as it was still good.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Mick

yeah, like, despite what I've said, he was too good of a singer to ever let himself sound anything close to bad. What I mean by inconsistent is he wouldn't always reach the enormously high standard he set for himself in the studio, he would often settle for something easier on his voice or more suited for a live setting, even if it wasn't as amazing, as long as it was still good.

Sometimes the result was better than the studio, like with Spread Your Wings.
  • Like 1

Mick

Sometimes the result was better than the studio, like with Spread Your Wings.

so true actually.

Honestly...the live recording of Somebody To Love from the deluxe version of ADATR is the only Queen recording that can actually contend with Bo Rhap for title of my favorite thing they've ever done, whereas the studio version is a solid like 5th place in my top ten Queen tunes.

I happen to love Graham Bonnet

I'm a card carrying fan of old Iron Lungs myself.

Bonnet live in 2016 singing 'Only one woman'. Aged 68.

Powerful.

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1

Burton Cummings .. consistent (underrated underrated underrated underrated)

Robert Plant .. inconsistent (but Mr Plant still sits right at the very top of my best rock singers all-time list ... it's not even disputable really .. Robert always wins)

Mick

I’m going to see Ozzy in September on his farewell tour. He is IMO the greatest frontman ever, challenged only by Dave in his heyday. I have no doubt I’m going to leave having thoroughly enjoyed it, in no small part because it is always obvious that Ozzy does.

• Like 1

James LaBrie is the king of inconsistency. Russel Allen is jaw-droppingly excellent.

Dio also ALWAYS delivered!

I saw his second to last show ever (Ronnie that is, Dream Theater is not for me). His voice was not great, but, like Ozzy, Ronnie so obviously loved his job and the fans that the show was a lot of fun. When I saw him on the Last in Line tour, his voice was spot on perfect.

• Like 2