196 replies to this topic

#141 jamie

jamie

The Biggest Thing Since Powdered TOST

• Members
  • 12705 posts
  • Interests:cats, dogs, sleeping, steve harris, ghouls

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:35 AM

i remember being indifferent when i first heard it but it grew on me. to this day i still say that it's criminally underrated.

Sponsored Post

#142 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 02 December 2017 - 02:32 AM

I remember hearing The Pass and almost being moved to tears. Powerful. Beautiful. I loved pretty much the whole album immediately with the exception of War Paint and Superconductor.

#143 tas7

tas7

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

I remember being frustrated with the songs being sort of start - stop - start again, disjointed between verses, middle eights and choruses. I'd sort of get into a bit of a song but just as I was going this is good, it would stutter with a weird change. It didn't flow like earlier Rush.

#144 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3936 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:43 PM

BUNNIES!

#145 AnalogRich

AnalogRich

The Seeker

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:music - great bass playing

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

I liked it a lot better than Hold Your Fire

#146 micgtr71

micgtr71

Axe Slinger

• Members
  • 5021 posts
  • Interests:Teaching guitar lessons, writing, drinking quality beers.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

I remember liking it but probably because it was Rush and not because of the songs. It was my fifth new Rush album and the first one to contain a song I didn’t like. Superconductor. Still don’t like it. The album would be better if it were recorded a decade earlier by someone else.

#147 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10533 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

I loved it and still do. I wasn’t much of a Rush fan at the time, a few albums aside (MP, Grace)...and so I took a complete gamble on Presto when it was released...purely on impulse and really dug it, the new vocal approach, etc.

#148 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10533 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

The Pass remains a top 10-15 Rush song for me.  Amazing cut.

#149 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 35589 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

Presto is just wonderful.

#150 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 61289 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Part of why I love Presto is that many of the songs feature very strong lyrics from Neil, which of course include references to literature and art.  Like this, the "girl before a mirror"...

Posted Image

The yellow side of her face represents [the girl's] happy times with Picasso. The bright colors represent the times together. This side of her face shows her youth in the makeup free completion. This woman is painted with colors that increase her beauty.[2]
The reflection represents the other interpretation of how she views herself. The colors used here are dark and make her look very old. Instead of happiness the meaning here is more of hate and unhappiness, fear and as if aging is getting on to her indicative of her fear of losing her youth.

Paint the mirror black.

Edited by goose, 07 July 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#151 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 11884 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

I think it's great. It could use a remix. Calling Steven Wilson!

#152 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5649 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

View PostRushman14, on 07 July 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

I think it's great. It could use a remix. Calling Steven Wilson!

How about a vinyl release. I could go for bunnies on vinyl.

#153 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5649 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

View Postgoose, on 07 July 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Part of why I love Presto is that many of the songs feature very strong lyrics from Neil, which of course include references to literature and art.  Like this, the "girl before a mirror"...

Posted Image

The yellow side of her face represents [the girl's] happy times with Picasso. The bright colors represent the times together. This side of her face shows her youth in the makeup free completion. This woman is painted with colors that increase her beauty.[2]
The reflection represents the other interpretation of how she views herself. The colors used here are dark and make her look very old. Instead of happiness the meaning here is more of hate and unhappiness, fear and as if aging is getting on to her indicative of her fear of losing her youth.

Paint the mirror black.

Did not know about that!

#154 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10627 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostThe Cat 3, on 22 November 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 22 November 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostReGorLaTroy, on 22 November 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

I bought Presto when it first came out and I distinctly remember saying out loud during the first listen...

"What the f#%@ happened to my favourite band?"

I remember thinking, it's ok, but not digging it and thinking it was time for them to throw in the towel.

I'm happy they didn't, of course.

Over the years, the album has grown on me a bit.

I quite like the Audio Fidelity & SHM versions.

It just goes to show, a weak album by Rush is still better than a strong album by most bands.

You have to give them credit for going out on a limb with the album.

I couldn't take a steady diet of it (all the songs start to sound the same after while), but it's good to listen to every once in a while.
They sounded a little lost musically. It was if they were going through an identity crisis. They were trying to respond to changing musical landscape instead of just being Rush. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's what I love about Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels...Rush was making music they "wanted to make" instead of making  music they "had to make" to keep up with the trends at the time. The last two albums were, in my opinion, made on their own terms with little regard to record sales with brilliant results.

This is hilarious. Never realized this was RGLT.

#155 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10627 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:49 AM

Presto I loved it at the time as it was the first Rush studio album since I had become a fan and they could have pissed in my face and I would have come back for more everytime. Time has not been so kind to it although I actually think it is a very nice sounding album.

It drags in the middle and Scars and Superconductor suck.

#156 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 75210 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:09 AM

View PostDigital Dad, on 08 July 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Presto I loved it at the time as it was the first Rush studio album since I had become a fan and they could have pissed in my face and I would have come back for more everytime. Time has not been so kind to it although I actually think it is a very nice sounding album.

I guess it WOULD be worse for them to literally piss in your face as opposed to the figurative pissing in the face to the fan base that was Presto.

#157 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10627 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 July 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

I guess it WOULD be worse for them to literally piss in your face as opposed to the figurative pissing in the face to the fan base that was Presto.

iIRC Presto was more along the lines of bringing back the fanbase who left during the mid 80's.

#158 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 75210 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:29 AM

View PostDigital Dad, on 08 July 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 08 July 2018 - 11:09 AM, said:

iIRC Presto was more along the lines of bringing back the fanbase who left during the mid 80's.
By putting out an album that should have been expected to appeal to the Air Supply fan base?

#159 rugen

rugen

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1210 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

It was the end of good Rush music and the end of minimal use of keyboards with Rupert Hines on board. The compositions are not that bad but the epic atmosphere of the past was gone. It was a disappointment for me at that time. Today, I think I prefer Presto to RTB, Test For Echo and even Clockwork Angles.

#160 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 61289 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

View Postrugen, on 08 July 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

It was the end of good Rush music and the end of minimal use of keyboards with Rupert Hines on board.
"The end of minimal use of keyboards..."?  Presto signalled a massive reduction in keyboards, post-HYF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users