Jump to content


Big Interview SPOILER THREAD!!!


  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

View Postrugen, on 26 October 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

My thoughts after watching this interview:

1- Rush is done
2- Geddy is going to write something in the future, but I don't think he can do by himself something remarkable
3- I just hope that Alex or/and Geddy team up with creative musicians to do something special in the future.
Yeah I would think they'd like to whip up something with some other (younger) guys without the 'RUSH!' thing hanging over them. Unfortunately, Rush fans would be hyper-judgmental about any attempt. Example: the amount of crap that Robert Plant faced when he went solo.

Edited by HemiBeers, 26 October 2017 - 11:38 AM.


Sponsored Post

#62 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1087 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostTony R, on 25 October 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 25 October 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostRushFanForever, on 25 October 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 24 October 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

Don’t have AXS so couldn’t watch. Anyone want to share spoilery thoughts/insights/interesting moments?

For those who don't have access to AXS TV, the episode will be made available for digital purchase the following day for $2 at this location here.

I've posted this twice already. Nobody has to worry about missing the interview as long as they buy the 'effing' clip. Does anyone pay attention to details in posts?

This $2 investment to me is more worthwhile than buying a beverage at an expensive coffee shop.

Huh? What was that?

Ignore the tool.

:7up:

#63 Laurabw

Laurabw

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:nj
  • Interests:golf, hockey, skiing, ballet

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 26 October 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postrugen, on 26 October 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

My thoughts after watching this interview:

1- Rush is done
2- Geddy is going to write something in the future, but I don't think he can do by himself something remarkable
3- I just hope that Alex or/and Geddy team up with creative musicians to do something special in the future.
Yeah I would think they'd like to whip up something with some other (younger) guys without the 'RUSH!' thing hanging over them. Unfortunately, Rush fans would be hyper-judgmental about any attempt. Example: the amount of crap that Robert Plant faced when he went solo.

Speaking of Robert Plant, my friend is an audio guy and Dan Rather just did an interview with Plant last week...and my friend got to mic him and said he was super nice. How cool is that???

#64 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostLaurabw, on 26 October 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 26 October 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postrugen, on 26 October 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

My thoughts after watching this interview:

1- Rush is done
2- Geddy is going to write something in the future, but I don't think he can do by himself something remarkable
3- I just hope that Alex or/and Geddy team up with creative musicians to do something special in the future.
Yeah I would think they'd like to whip up something with some other (younger) guys without the 'RUSH!' thing hanging over them. Unfortunately, Rush fans would be hyper-judgmental about any attempt. Example: the amount of crap that Robert Plant faced when he went solo.

Speaking of Robert Plant, my friend is an audio guy and Dan Rather just did an interview with Plant last week...and my friend got to mic him and said he was super nice. How cool is that???
very cool. But that should be a pretty low key setting where you don't have to act all rock-star primadonna on someone...especially with Uncle Dan around.

#65 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1773 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver,WA USA
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

View Postpjbear05, on 25 October 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 25 October 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

I thought the hour long show about Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album before Geddy was more interesting.
You should love the rest of them.  IMHO the Classic Albums on Electric Ladyland has been the biggest steaming dog pile of the series.  Tonight's is Dark Side of the Moon, and we'll see how that one goes.
Agree. Noel Redding was a bitter old guy by the time this was filmed, and that was quite some time ago as he died in '03. The Black Sabbath Paranoid episode was very good. DSOTM was good too iirc. Let us know how you liked it.

Edited by driventotheedge, 26 October 2017 - 03:34 PM.


#66 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 3682 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 26 October 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 25 October 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 25 October 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

I thought the hour long show about Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album before Geddy was more interesting.
You should love the rest of them.  IMHO the Classic Albums on Electric Ladyland has been the biggest steaming dog pile of the series.  Tonight's is Dark Side of the Moon, and we'll see how that one goes.
Agree. Noel Redding was a bitter old guy by the time this was filmed, and that was quite some time ago as he died in '03. The Black Sabbath Paranoid episode was very good. DSOTM was good too iirc. Let us know how you liked it.

You should check out Noel Redding's book "Are You Experienced". Thoroughly depressing reading. Made a living at one point picking up bottles and garbage.
I keep hoping for a Hendrix dvd that doesn't have that f*cking Eddie Kramer in it with his oily ponytail and endless grooving over the mixing board.
"The Wind Cries...Douche"

#67 pjbear05

pjbear05

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1588 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pembroke Pines, FL
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 26 October 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 25 October 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 25 October 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

I thought the hour long show about Hendrix's Electric Ladyland album before Geddy was more interesting.
You should love the rest of them.  IMHO the Classic Albums on Electric Ladyland has been the biggest steaming dog pile of the series.  Tonight's is Dark Side of the Moon, and we'll see how that one goes.
Agree. Noel Redding was a bitter old guy by the time this was filmed, and that was quite some time ago as he died in '03. The Black Sabbath Paranoid episode was very good. DSOTM was good too iirc. Let us know how you liked it.
Oh hell yeah,the Paranoid episode kicked major ass, best of the Series IMHO.

#68 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53725 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 26 October 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

View Postrugen, on 26 October 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

My thoughts after watching this interview:

1- Rush is done
2- Geddy is going to write something in the future, but I don't think he can do by himself something remarkable
3- I just hope that Alex or/and Geddy team up with creative musicians to do something special in the future.
Yeah I would think they'd like to whip up something with some other (younger) guys without the 'RUSH!' thing hanging over them. Unfortunately, Rush fans would be hyper-judgmental about any attempt. Example: the amount of crap that Robert Plant faced when he went solo.
All I remember is solo Plant being all over the radio.

#69 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

What are the chances of solo Geddy being a mainstream success? Not that that matters to me. It's just a question

#70 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 18890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

What are the chances of solo Geddy being a mainstream success? Not that that matters to me. It's just a question

Give us an example of someone you consider to be a mainstream success. When I hear that term, I tend to think Katy Perry or someone like that.

#71 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostJARG, on 27 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

What are the chances of solo Geddy being a mainstream success? Not that that matters to me. It's just a question

Give us an example of someone you consider to be a mainstream success. When I hear that term, I tend to think Katy Perry or someone like that.
  
Robert Plant solo is a mainstream success. Of course his time with LZ is legendary but his solo career has been more than fruitful.

I'm not asking if Geddy will be as successful as Plant.

But is it possible for him to sell solo albums to millions who are NOT Rush fans?

#72 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 18890 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 October 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

But is it possible for him to sell solo albums to millions who are NOT Rush fans?
Of course it's possible.

#73 bootruss

bootruss

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Location:Rotherham, England,UK

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

Millions? No..but I for one will buy it..headache was a great album..

#74 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1417 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

View Postbootruss, on 27 October 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

Millions? No..but I for one will buy it..headache was a great album..

Well you could go by Headache's sales and marketing as a measuring stick of sorts - I remember seeing in-house ads in Wal Mart for Headache when it came out. Did it sale more to the casual music fan strolling through Wal Mart, or anywhere else they might have used mainstream methods of promoting it? I don't know. But I don't remember hearing that it did any better than a Rush album. Someone could look up those sales numbers I am sure.

#75 Lucas

Lucas

    Leave That Wrench Alone

  • Members
  • 10808 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 October 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

View PostJARG, on 27 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

What are the chances of solo Geddy being a mainstream success? Not that that matters to me. It's just a question

Give us an example of someone you consider to be a mainstream success. When I hear that term, I tend to think Katy Perry or someone like that.
  
Robert Plant solo is a mainstream success. Of course his time with LZ is legendary but his solo career has been more than fruitful.

I'm not asking if Geddy will be as successful as Plant.

But is it possible for him to sell solo albums to millions who are NOT Rush fans?

Is there a chance Geddy throws a curveball and does something, for example, like a song with someone like Lana Del Rey ??

Truth be told, I'd love to see him do that, if just for one song ... Do something unexpected .... The idea of Geddy rounding up the usual suspects and doing something highly predictable like My Favorite Headache is very uninspiring ..

#76 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3885 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 October 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

View PostJARG, on 27 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

What are the chances of solo Geddy being a mainstream success? Not that that matters to me. It's just a question

Give us an example of someone you consider to be a mainstream success. When I hear that term, I tend to think Katy Perry or someone like that.
  
Robert Plant solo is a mainstream success. Of course his time with LZ is legendary but his solo career has been more than fruitful.

I'm not asking if Geddy will be as successful as Plant.

But is it possible for him to sell solo albums to millions who are NOT Rush fans?

Plant has released a few more solo albums than Geddy has. He's also toured behind them since the early '80s.  Wouldn't shock me at this point to find out that some of his newer fans didn't know he was in Led Zeppelin.




As far as the interview goes. It was OK. Never saw recent pictures of the kids and grandkid before. Also nice to see Ged enjoying life.

Last five minutes of the interview were worth sticking it out for. I'd love the chance to see the raw uncut interview.

#77 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

View Postytserush, on 27 October 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 27 October 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

View PostJARG, on 27 October 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 26 October 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

What are the chances of solo Geddy being a mainstream success? Not that that matters to me. It's just a question

Give us an example of someone you consider to be a mainstream success. When I hear that term, I tend to think Katy Perry or someone like that.
  
Robert Plant solo is a mainstream success. Of course his time with LZ is legendary but his solo career has been more than fruitful.

I'm not asking if Geddy will be as successful as Plant.

But is it possible for him to sell solo albums to millions who are NOT Rush fans?

Plant has released a few more solo albums than Geddy has. He's also toured behind them since the early '80s.  Wouldn't shock me at this point to find out that some of his newer fans didn't know he was in Led Zeppelin.


Yeah I know Plant has released more and toured behind them. And at a young age still when he started. He had to be only around 30 when he went solo. Hell, I havent counted but he's probably released more solo albums than he did with LZ.

I was just giving JARG an example of mainstream success because I certainly wasn't thinking of the likes of Katy Perry.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 27 October 2017 - 07:20 PM.


#78 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 23404 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Troll beneath the George Washington Bridge
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

Geddy the Cubs fan??? Who knew?

#79 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 23404 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Troll beneath the George Washington Bridge
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

OMG Rush is over. Seriously I appreciate the moment in the interview where he closed the door. I can see another solo album or project with Alex, I’d support that.

#80 fraroc

fraroc

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2459 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

So he just went with what Neil is doing, again.

That is so disappointing.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users