Online Fan Forums Do a Disservice to Music as a Whole

Tick

Just my own opinion...

Remember the good old days (unless you are too young to relate) before the days of the internet, that like it or not bend and sway your opinions on music.

Before online forums you had no outside interference and static forcing to to ponder things you ordinarily might not.

Remember when a favorite of yours put out a new album and you accepted it for what it was and loved it warts and all.

Now its all....

"Well the first have of the album drags, the second half is better!"

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

"Its the worst album they'll put out in years"

You get the point. I read this stuff and even though I'm a free thinking person, not a robot, its enters my consciousness and tries to change my perspective, when on my own I'd be perfectly content.

Now I know some will disagree and that's the point of this thread, but for me music was in its purest untainted form when yours and only your opinion was the one that mattered!

Have a great day, y'all be cool!

Good points Ticky but as for me I just never let that shit get in my way. I like the albums and songs I like regardless of what the critics say and I always have.

It's why you are a top five poster for me.

You have the taste in music I most admire and enjoy reading about.

You little brown noser! :LOL:

Just my own opinion...

Remember the good old days (unless you are too young to relate) before the days of the internet, that like it or not bend and sway your opinions on music.

Before online forums you had no outside interference and static forcing to to ponder things you ordinarily might not.

Remember when a favorite of yours put out a new album and you accepted it for what it was and loved it warts and all.

Now its all....

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

You get the point. I read this stuff and even though I'm a free thinking person, not a robot, its enters my consciousness and tries to change my perspective, when on my own I'd be perfectly content.

Now I know some will disagree and that's the point of this thread, but for me music was in its purest untainted form when yours and only your opinion was the one that mattered!

Good points Ticky but as for me I just never let that shit get in my way. I like the albums and songs I like regardless of what the critics say and I always have.

It's why you are a top five poster for me.

You have the taste in music I most admire and enjoy reading about.

You little brown noser! :LOL:

I did hesitate posting it haha!

This forum would be a much better place if everyone just agred with me only. I ask you all to consider it. Let me know....

You're wrong. It would be a much better place if everyone just agreed with ME only.

I bet you even hate women.

Am I right or am I left?????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????????????????????

;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

This forum would be a much better place if everyone just agred with me only. I ask you all to consider it. Let me know....

You're wrong. It would be a much better place if everyone just agreed with ME only.

I bet you even hate women.

Am I right or am I left?????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm???????????????????????????

Tim Buckley

The Police

Moody Blues

Rush

I could live with this haha

I think it's a combination of good and bad. We get exposed to a lot more things on the Internet, not all good but it's exposure. We have to learn to pick and choose from the plethora of information and opinions out there just like we were going to a garage sale. It takes some experience to pick out the good items from the junk.

:goodone:

Very well said.

I already belonged to other forums that really contributed to music and culture. :)

• Like 2

Just my own opinion...

Now its all....

"Track 3 sucks hard"

"I hate the ballads"

I love it Tick and I totally agree 1000%!

Glad I'm old enough to know the truth.

• Like 1

Other people's opinions have often caused me to reconsider and develop an appreciation for music I had previously dismissed. This is a good thing.

I don't think the opinions of others have ever caused me to dislike music that I liked. So I'll have to disagree with this hypothesis.

• Like 4

I've always read reviews of the bands I like even though with Rush they were often deliberately offensive. That said I prefer it when people are open, objective, honest and forthright about what they like and dislike about Rush rather than those who take offense at anything they see as "off message" where Rush is concerned. That leads me to be deliberately offensive about some of Rush's output...

• Like 1

While I agree that we have more filters through which music is taken in these days, I disagree that the increase in filters is relevant.

When I was young I would hear a song on the radio by myself and react. Then my friends would have their opinions. The station already ran the music through a filter of 'radio friendly or not' before it even got to me. It wasn't ever exclusively me.

But there are more voices now, the dissents are greater, and you can never be 'underground' enough. Someone always takes your 'cool' band and tries to mention an even more underground band.

But today we can access much more than ever before. I can (and often do) type a nation into google, add a genre, and can instantly explore what's happening musically most anywhere on Earth. If you're comfortable enough liking whatever you like, you need not be shackled by the opinions of others. There's an artist from Switzerland (Admiral James T.) that I am a HUGE fan of, and have been for several years. Because of the internet.

I know that in Botswana there's a massive metal scene. Because of the internet. And frankly the opinions of the people here about what I like are insignificant, but telling me what you do like, that's revealing and helpful. If one of you talks about your new favorite band, and I've never heard of them before, than I can check them out. That's fantastic.

I came to this forum and discovered that people don't like Tai Shan. I never knew about any opinions about Tai Shan, but I had already determined I don't like it. Conversely I like Face Up. Apparently that is not remotely popular. And I am unaffected. The criticism is noted, but it doesn't affect my opinion.

I don't think the internet is shaping opinions that much. Maybe it's shutting some people down from saying they like a band, but I doubt it is actually stopping people from liking a band.

• Like 1

I can (and often do) type a nation into google, add a genre, and can instantly explore what's happening musically most anywhere on Earth. If you're comfortable enough liking whatever you like, you need not be shackled by the opinions of others. There's an artist from Switzerland (Admiral James T.) that I am a HUGE fan of, and have been for several years. Because of the internet.

I love that ..

A few months ago I was curious, went to google, and typed in "bands named after locations" ... There was a site that had dozens and dozens of bands named after certain places and locals ... I saw a pic of a band called "Jupiter" - and now they are my current favorite newer band ...

That never would have happened without the internet, but more importantly, it would never have happened with being curious ..

The internet and you tube are a goldmine for great music if you seek it out ..

As for fan forums, I have learned about so many great artists from being here, and not only that, but reading about other's passion for music inspires me to revisit bands and albums I might not have otherwise ..

• Like 1

I've always read reviews of the bands I like even though with Rush they were often deliberately offensive. That said I prefer it when people are open, objective, honest and forthright about what they like and dislike about Rush rather than those who take offense at anything they see as "off message" where Rush is concerned. That leads me to be deliberately offensive about some of Rush's output...

You're just an old curmudgeon!

Well, living exclusively in the age of the Internet, I can proudly say that I don't let other people's opinions sway mine about music at all. I know that may come across as pretentious, but it's not that difficult if you think the same way outside of the web. Sure, if someone recommends something to me, I'll give it a listen, but I won't give an opinion on something I've never experienced. And it's important to respect other people's opinions. Differing opinions are what make the Internet, and human society as a whole, interesting. Not everybody has to feel the same way about everything, you know. :no:
  • Like 1

Cool i came back to the right topic. I recently bought a new computer 2 or 3 weeks ago. I've hooked it up. but then i decided no......i am not going back on the TRF or any music forum or social media outlet. just useing to watch movies basically. Let me tell you it did me a world of good. I love music forums and i always will.......but it does get ugly. and has effectivly made me hate music at points. for real. so the break was wonderful and i may be do that more in the future.

having said all that.

there is good to forums. i meet and have met some great people. that somehow balances all the shit.

you have to take the bad with the good i guess.

Mick

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that online forums do a disservice as a whole, but it can bring out a lot of nastiness and vitriol out of a fanbase. Namely the "genwunners" of a band saying that "If it's not all the original members, it's not the real band." and going out and bashing other fans for continuing to support said band.
  • Like 1

I started this thread because while I agree music forums do add a lot as far as people guiding me to stuff I would have not found otherwise they sway me at times in a negative way. Does the good outweigh the bad? Yes, I will say it does.

The negative for me...

I do find myself going into something I was looking forward to hearing with a slightly skewed thought process going in due to negativity before I've heard it for myself. It happened recently with the new Marillion album. Some fans loved it but others were ripping it up. I found myself pondering comments I read while listening the first time. I guess it didn't really change my view all that much it just kind of messed with me a bit.

Same thing was the case with, The Astonishing. Such polarizing views. So many hated it, and I really liked it a lot. The shit storm in the DT thread got ugly, and I'm to blame for that as much as anyone was.

• Like 1

I feel like with Kansas, a similar thing is going on because some people just refuse to accept anything that Kerry Livgren or Steve Walsh weren't a part of and they refuse to give The Prelude Implicit a listen because of the whole attitude of "It's not Kansas without Kerry or Steve." '

I think Kansas fans should be even MORE impressed that The Prelude Implicit was so good without those two guys. I mean, the current lineup of Kansas were the ones who wrote literally every song (well other than Home On The Range and O Shenandoah).

I feel like with Kansas, a similar thing is going on because some people just refuse to accept anything that Kerry Livgren or Steve Walsh weren't a part of and they refuse to give The Prelude Implicit a listen because of the whole attitude of "It's not Kansas without Kerry or Steve." '

I think Kansas fans should be even MORE impressed that The Prelude Implicit was so good without those two guys. I mean, the current lineup of Kansas were the ones who wrote literally every song (well other than Home On The Range and O Shenandoah).

New Kansas is freaking awesome! And I'm a die hard fan of 40 years!

• Like 2

My opinion is STILL the only one that matters ! Back in the day you had rags like Rolling Stone "influencing" the weak-minded.

I think internet forums such as this are great, sometimes the passion with which certain songs are defended by some encourages me to go back and give something another chance, also seeing/hearing what other people listen to gives me new bands to try out I may not have known about before.

• Like 2

New Kansas is freaking awesome! And I'm a die hard fan of 40 years!

New Kansas rules. it's the most Kansas like they've sounded in years which is hilarious because it is basically a new band, lol.

Mick

• Like 2

My opinion is STILL the only one that matters ! Back in the day you had rags like Rolling Stone "influencing" the weak-minded.

I think internet forums such as this are great, sometimes the passion with which certain songs are defended by some encourages me to go back and give something another chance, also seeing/hearing what other people listen to gives me new bands to try out I may not have known about before.

This.

I do not find myself influenced by the negative opinions, but sometimes the positive ones will make me give something a (second) try.

• Like 1

Without quoting what Harry Callahan said about opinions, I just want to add that, speaking of music, after all it's much more likely that we all can share a common opinion here in The Rush Forum rather than in one dedicated to a boy band

The notion that being influenced by other people opinions makes you "weak minded" is bull shit.

The notion that being influenced by other people opinions makes you "weak minded" is bull shit.

Agreed, Tick. Someone pointed out the naff lyrics of an album I like. I wasn't swayed by his opinion...he lead me to note a fact...it was lyrically appalling.

Didn't stop me enjoying it but it's hard to rate the record as highly.

It didn't affect my opinion so much as give me another viewpoint to learn from.

I never would have given Kansas another shot had members of this forum not been adamant they were amazing!

And ReGor...wherever he is...really helped me open up to lots of bands I always thought were overrated. I enjoyed talking to him.

Where is he?

• Like 1