Victor Or My Favorite Headache, Which Solo album is better?

alex geddy

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Victor Or My Favorite Headache, Which Solo album is better? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Solo Album Is Better?

1. Victor (7 votes [15.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

2. My Favorite Headache (37 votes [84.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7097 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostLucas, on 03 September 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 03 September 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

"Taking a chance" does not necessarily make a record good. I've read elsewhere that because Geddy "played it safe" and Alex did things he couldn't do in Rush, that makes Victor a better record. Using that mentality, The Elder by KISS would be good too or Diamond Dave by DLR would be great.

The Elder has enormous kitch / nostalgic value .. I have no idea how it would sound to a first time listener today, and I hated it when I was 14, but there is something special in something that bad

So bad it's good. Like, Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Edited by Fordgalaxy, 03 September 2016 - 09:10 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12326 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 03 September 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 03 September 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostFordgalaxy, on 03 September 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

"Taking a chance" does not necessarily make a record good. I've read elsewhere that because Geddy "played it safe" and Alex did things he couldn't do in Rush, that makes Victor a better record. Using that mentality, The Elder by KISS would be good too or Diamond Dave by DLR would be great.

The Elder has enormous kitch / nostalgic value .. I have no idea how it would sound to a first time listener today, and I hated it when I was 14, but there is something special in something that bad

So bad it's good. Like, Plan 9 From Outer Space.

.. or Showgirls

In retrospect, the question could be "Is it that bad or is it ingenious satire" ??

#43 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

My favourite headache is one of my favourite albums by any artist. And it have listened to it too many times to count. I think I have listened to Victor....one or two times. And that was a struggle.

#44 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 8561 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:16 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 03 September 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

This album by miles.

Here's a great documentary on it

Thanks, TM!  It was interesting hearing from Ben Mink and hearing Geddy talk about the details behind the album. :)

#45 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7414 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

I don't really like either one, but MFH is better.

#46 Wil1972

Wil1972

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2050 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:19 AM

I think one has to view the albums within the context of when they were released. Victor was more an experiment, a way for Al to do a few things he hadn't been able to do in Rush; I never thought of it as his attempt at a proper stand-alone solo album, but rather him just having some fun in-between Rush projects. Al was not thinking long term solo career.
Ged released MFH under the very real possibility that it would be the beginning of a reluctant solo career, since at the time it seemed Rush was done and over. So he was putting the same care and effort into it that he would a Rush album.
Interestingly, I think what Alex did on Victor did find its way into the DNA of Rush on Vapor Trails; and MFH seemed to inform Snakes and Arrows, while CA is almost a blending of the two. In that respect they were both important to what Rush would do on their future albums.

Edited by Wil1972, 04 September 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#47 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5330 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostWil1972, on 04 September 2016 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think one has to view the albums within the context of when they were released. Victor was more an experiment, a way for Al to do a few things he hadn't been able to do in Rush; I never thought of it as his attempt at a proper stand-alone solo album, but rather him just having some fun in-between Rush projects. Al was not thinking long term solo career.
Ged released MFH under the very real possibility that it would be the beginning of a reluctant solo career, since at the time it seemed Rush was done and over. So he was putting the same care and effort into it that he would a Rush album.
Interestingly, I think what Alex did on Victor did find its way into the DNA of Rush on Vapor Trails; and MFH seemed to inform Snakes and Arrows, while CA is almost a blending of the two. In that respect they were both important to what Rush would do on their future albums.

This is an interesting take that makes me almost want to listen to Victor again.

#48 lifeson90

lifeson90

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1350 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

yeah i recall when album released thinking this is Al just p*ssing about experimenting a bit but, there's no two ways about it man, is just a sh*t album. failure simply cannot be excused for whatever reason, no doubt Al wanted to produce best solo effort he could as the committed professional he was and the simple fact is, Victor just doesnt match up in any way to MFH Which is a thoroughly fine artistic piece of work. both guys will have spent ample time working on their solo projects, one was a virtual waste of energy and the other was an exceptional album, it's ok to say that. the man is the most imaginative rock guitarist there'll ever be, but dont make excuses for his failures. Victor is sh*t :)

#49 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32530 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

View Postlifeson90, on 04 September 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

yeah i recall when album released thinking this is Al just p*ssing about experimenting a bit but, there's no two ways about it man, is just a sh*t album. failure simply cannot be excused for whatever reason, no doubt Al wanted to produce best solo effort he could as the committed professional he was and the simple fact is, Victor just doesnt match up in any way to MFH Which is a thoroughly fine artistic piece of work. both guys will have spent ample time working on their solo projects, one was a virtual waste of energy and the other was an exceptional album, it's ok to say that. the man is the most imaginative rock guitarist there'll ever be, but dont make excuses for his failures. Victor is sh*t :)
I'm imagining that you've got both hands covering your ears and saying repeatedly: "Victor is shit Victor is shit Victor is shit lalalalalalalalalala....." :lol:

#50 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 89461 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

Headache easily. It's just much more listenable with better songs and much more melody. Victor is a disappointment for me, not much good playing, no good songs. Seems like Alex is lost without Geddy and cannot find a good tune without him or even a good solo. He couldn't even find a good singer.

#51 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46967 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 September 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

Headache easily. It's just much more listenable with better songs and much more melody. Victor is a disappointment for me, not much good playing, no good songs. Seems like Alex is lost without Geddy and cannot find a good tune without him or even a good solo. He couldn't even find a good singer.

:no:

#52 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 89461 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

View PostSurrender74, on 04 September 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

Why make a thread like this if you don't want to hear other people's opinions?

#53 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46967 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 04 September 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

So many people are hating on Victor!! It is one of the best albums ever!!

#54 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32530 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:07 PM

Foolish mortal. This thread was made to hear others agree with the op's thoughts. Any other opinion would automatically be wrong. The thread title itself is a trick. The original thread title was going to be:
"Victor is better than MFH and is one of the best albums ever and if you disagree then you're a fool and 100% wrong. No no no"

It was still going to be a poll though.

#55 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32530 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostSurrender74, on 04 September 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

I don't hate Victor but reading a post like this makes me want to.

#56 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46967 posts

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 September 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

Foolish mortal. This thread was made to hear others agree with the op's thoughts. Any other opinion would automatically be wrong. The thread title itself is a trick. The original thread title was going to be:
"Victor is better than MFH and is one of the best albums ever and if you disagree then you're a fool and 100% wrong. No no no"

No, That was NOT going to be the original thread title

#57 x1yyz

x1yyz

The Shark Whisperer

• Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

I'm glad you feel that way but if you don't want to hear other opinions (most of which are not "hating", btw) then don't start a thread asking people to choose between them.

#58 Permanent-Rush

Permanent-Rush

The Dream Police

• Members
  • 46967 posts

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 September 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

I don't hate Victor but reading a post like this makes me want to.

:o

WHY?

#59 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7097 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

Not according to 84% of the people who've voted.

#60 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32530 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostSurrender74, on 04 September 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 04 September 2016 - 09:07 PM, said:

No, That was NOT going to be the original thread title
Oh that's right. It was going to be "Victor is much MUCH better than MFH and is one of the best albums ever and if you disagree then you're a stupid fool and 110% wrong. No no no infinity no"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex, geddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users