Why does everyone hate Phil Collins so much?

fraroc

And besides, you can't tell me that Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel wasn't cheesy 80s at all lol

There was nothing cheesey about Sledgehammer back in the day. I lived that era. It was ground shaking on several levels, musically and visually.

I didn't live in that era, so for all intents and purposes I should be the one to shit all over music like that.

How does this make sense? Please explain.

One's temporal distance from a given event is directly proportional to one's ability to be objective about said event.

It's also directly proportional to one's ability to be ill-informed.

You used a lot of big words there.

Bravo.

• Like 1

Okay, so who are these "everyone" of whom you speak?

According to this thread: a minority. And the majority of the minority apparently used to enjoy him until he was overplayed, then they eventually got sick of him.

It's a clickbait thread - fraroc is good at these.

Then explain to me why the minute Phil Collins decided to make music again, a petition was made to get him to re-retire?

It's just a fact, Phil Collins is so unfairly hated by most people.

Do you like Phil Collins a lot, or are you trying to justify your personal observation that many people hate him?

I do actually agree with you somewhat. From my own limited experiences, Phil is treated a bit unkindly by many music fans and often accused of selling out. But I wouldn't say that's most people. Heck, most people don't even know who Phil Collins is because times have changed and not near as many people pay much attention to their parents music as some of us would like to see. The truth is Phil decided to do his own thing outside of Genesis that became hugely successful in the 80s and early 90s, and certain groups of people either disliked his overexposure, disliked his much simpler and more mainstream pop music, disliked his voice, or any combination of the three. But his time in the spotlight came to an end and maybe even the majority of those people probably stopped caring because they had moved on. I can't tell from experience, because I was born after all of that, but I can tell from research and discussion that that is closer to the full story than simply assuming he was and still is almost universally hated. It's like saying everyone hates Coldplay even though they have industry and critical respect as well as tons and tons of fans and two or three times as many people who just enjoy their music when it comes on the radio or at a party. They may have a stigma, but they aren't universally hated, same goes for PC.

Sorry for the rant, my line of thought got a little out of hand. I will ask again though, do you like Phil Collins a lot, or are you trying to justify your personal observation that many people hate him? Or is there some other reason for your posts in this thread?

And besides, you can't tell me that Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel wasn't cheesy 80s at all lol

There was nothing cheesey about Sledgehammer back in the day. I lived that era. It was ground shaking on several levels, musically and visually.

I didn't live in that era, so for all intents and purposes I should be the one to shit all over music like that.

One's temporal distance from a given event is directly proportional to one's ability to be objective about said event.

You used a lot of big words there.

Bravo.

And I was holding back.

:P

According to this thread: a minority. And the majority of the minority apparently used to enjoy him until he was overplayed, then they eventually got sick of him.

Then explain to me why the minute Phil Collins decided to make music again, a petition was made to get him to re-retire?

Do you like Phil Collins a lot, or are you trying to justify your personal observation that many people hate him?

I do actually agree with you somewhat. From my own limited experiences, Phil is treated a bit unkindly by many music fans and often accused of selling out. But I wouldn't say that's most people. Heck, most people don't even know who Phil Collins is because times have changed and not near as many people pay much attention to their parents music as some of us would like to see. The truth is Phil decided to do his own thing outside of Genesis that became hugely successful in the 80s and early 90s, and certain groups of people either disliked his overexposure, disliked his much simpler and more mainstream pop music, disliked his voice, or any combination of the three. But his time in the spotlight came to an end and maybe even the majority of those people probably stopped caring because they had moved on. I can't tell from experience, because I was born after all of that, but I can tell from research and discussion that that is closer to the full story than simply assuming he was and still is almost universally hated. It's like saying everyone hates Coldplay even though they have industry and critical respect as well as tons and tons of fans and two or three times as many people who just enjoy their music when it comes on the radio or at a party. They may have a stigma, but they aren't universally hated, same goes for PC.

Sorry for the rant, my line of thought got a little out of hand. I will ask again though, do you like Phil Collins a lot, or are you trying to justify your personal observation that many people hate him? Or is there some other reason for your posts in this thread?

I universally hate Coldplay.

OK? ;)

• Like 1

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31/bluefox4000/4124851.jpg

Mick

Fraoc?

oh mr ocd picky......lol. i noticed after i made it.......

hold on........

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac31/bluefox4000/4124897.jpg

BETTER MOM???!!!!!!!!!

lol

Mick

WELL DONE BOY!!

• Like 1

I just wanted to ask a question about the issue. The few Phil Collins 80s songs I listened to I actually really enjoyed, though.

• Like 1

:LOL:

So if I'm well-informed AND correctly informed on something from say 20,000 years ago, for all intents and purposes, I can have the greatest, biggest shit on the Paleolithic Age! Awesome!

I universally hate Coldplay.

OK? ;)

That's a good example of an actual fact.

I was a whee boy in the early 90's but i can tell you he was huge up until about 93. then Both Sides came out.......as i recall no one really cared, lol 99 he had a brief re awakening with Tarzan. but that'd been it for him as fsr as mainstream superstar goes.

Most young kids totay would Not even know who he is i bet, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I was a whee boy in the early 90's but i can tell you he was huge up until about 93. then Both Sides came out.......as i recall no one really cared, lol 99 he had a brief re awakening with Tarzan. but that'd been it for him as fsr as mainstream superstar goes.

Mick

According to the silly "all intents and purposes" theory, those young kids should be the ones to shit all over his music.

• Like 1

Mick

According to the silly "all intents and purposes" theory, those young kids should be the ones to shit all over his music.

I hate to keep saying this but that is the STUPIDEST Theory i've ever heard anywhere. Fraroc hit a new level with that one.......and that's saying something, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

I hate to keep saying this but that is the STUPIDEST Theory i've ever heard anywhere. Fraroc hit a new level with that one.......and that's saying something, lol

Mick

I love to keep saying "all intents and purposes" in relation to this because it's the dumbest thing I've heard on TRF all year. Possibly ever. It's so absurd that I'm even laughing now while posting this and riding the train.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I love to keep saying "all intents and purposes" in relation to this because it's the dumbest thing I've heard on TRF all year. Possibly ever. It's so absurd that I'm even laughing now while posting this and riding the train.

Do you realize the list of bands and artists i should be allowed tohate by that logic, lol.

um......EVERYONE basically i'm only 31, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Do you realize the list of bands and artists i should be allowed tohate by that logic, lol.

um......EVERYONE basically i'm only 31, lol

Mick

Well, we're allowed to hate anyone. But this silly theory states that since I was born in '72 and you were born in '85, YOU should be the one that should shit on most 70s music since you weren't around that decade but I was. :LOL:

You've got an extra 13 years of shitting than I do!

Hell, my 13 year old niece has an extra 30 years on me!

I'm jealous!

• Like 2

A change.org petition which anyone can create about any subject they'd like, signed by a whopping ~5,000 people over the course of about 10 months.

The creator of the petition himself has gone on record saying he made it as a joke, and many signed it as a joke as well.

Are you f*cking serious, fraroc? Nice fact.

https://www.change.o...must-be-stopped

It was indeed a joke, and the joke itself wouldn't have had any traction with people if his music was loved my most people. The joke built on the fact that his music gets shit on a lot. If most people liked him, then it wouldn't make sense for someone to make a joke petition like that.

You're 100% damn right it's a joke, but the joke has to have some basis in reality.

It makes perfect sense. If someone didn't grow up in a period where that music was being played and thus was never exposed to it on a regular basis, but reads peoples thoughts and opinions on it on the internet without listening to it first. One would assume "Man, this particular song or artist must suck if so many people hate it." without taking the time out to listen to it.

Despite people hating on Phil Collins, I took the time out to listen to some of his songs like In The Air Tonight and Take Me Home and I understand if someone doesn't like 80s pop, they might dislike it, but from an objective standpoint there really isn't anything overly hateable about those two songs.

Edited by fraroc

I hated Phil Collins back in the day. He was everywhere betraying the serious and intelligent music that gave him the opportunity to sell-out. Or so my snotty music snob self thought. I now appreciate the man's talent immensely.

It makes perfect sense. If someone didn't grow up in a period where that music was being played and thus was never exposed to it on a regular basis, but reads peoples thoughts and opinions on it on the internet without listening to it first. One would assume "Man, this particular song or artist must suck if so many people hate it." without taking the time out to listen to it.

Despite people hating on Phil Collins, I took the time out to listen to some of his songs like In The Air Tonight and Take Me Home and I understand if someone doesn't like 80s pop, they might dislike it, but from an objective standpoint there really isn't anything overly hateable about those two songs.

That still doesn't make that statement any less dumb.

i should be allowed to shit on music i wasn't alive for is the most ignorant thing I've ever subjected my brain to. i know you listened to phil.....but the ignorance in that statement is like the nirvana of ignorance and stupidity.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

A change.org petition which anyone can create about any subject they'd like, signed by a whopping ~5,000 people over the course of about 10 months.

The creator of the petition himself has gone on record saying he made it as a joke, and many signed it as a joke as well.

Are you f*cking serious, fraroc? Nice fact.

https://www.change.o...must-be-stopped

It was indeed a joke, and the joke itself wouldn't have had any traction with people if his music was loved my most people. The joke built on the fact that his music gets shit on a lot. If most people liked him, then it wouldn't make sense for someone to make a joke petition like that.

You're 100% damn right it's a joke, but the joke has to have some basis in reality.

Fair point, but entirely too narrow of a view. The joke could indeed work if his music was loved by a lot of people, it would be working on irony. Another thing is the petition could also work on the fact that an old homie is coming out of retirement and doesn't rock the way he did anymore. This story could have gotten traction if it was made about anyone coming out of retirement and got a pathetic few thousand people to sign it. If Neil Peart comes out of retirement we can do the same for him and several rock stations will make note of it.

So, no, using this change.org petition as a citation when claiming that everyone unfairly hates Phil Collins isn't going to convince anyone. Next?

• Like 1

That still doesn't make that statement any less dumb.

i should be allowed to shit on music i wasn't alive for is the most ignorant thing I've ever subjected my brain to. i know you listened to phil.....but the ignorance in that statement is like the nirvana of ignorance and stupidity.

Mick

That's actually not what I was trying to say at all. In that post, the point I was trying to make was about people just deciding to just say that something sucks based on other's opinions without taking the time to listen to it and formulate their own opinion.

I swear Fraroc.

do you like sit in your room at night and go.

"let's see.....i've be way to silent lately i need a thread.......remember in order for me to get noticed they must be SWEEPING generalizations.

got to think.....come on Fraroc. what artist haven't i made a generalization about.......Geddy nope done to death......i can't do neil. Every one KNOWS i hate that Fukker.

A....B......C.......D......"Later" AH!!! P!!!!!! phil Collins. m it'll get views!!!!!!"

Mick

• Like 4

Here's a question for everyone..do you think a Phil Collins would have the success today he did back then? With the media exposure and people's obsession with looks and image etc..the likes of Phil Collins probably wouldn't translate too well with today's social media obsessed generation IMO
  • Like 1