TRF's possibly first official Beatles thread!

hmmm scores.

Please Please Me-8/10

With The Beatles-6/10

A Hard Day's Night-10/10

Beatles For Sale-5/10

Help!-9/10

Rubber Soul-10/10

Revolver-10/10

Sgt. Pepper-7/10

Magical Mystery Tour-9/10

The White Album-10/10

Yellow Submarine-4/10

Abbey Road-8/10

Let it be-6/10

Let it Be....Naked-8/10

Mick

• Like 2

I think "Because" is immaculate. The arrangement and the harmonies are freakin' great!

I can't give Abbey Road a 10/10 because of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Octopus's Garden" both being on the album. They are fun songs, but two novelty songs is too much, especially with all the great unrecorded songs they had available at the time. It still a breath of fresh air album, especially side two flawlessly threading together so many odds and ends. It's simply so fun to listen to.

ReRushed...I absolutely love the bones of you sometimes!

Now I am going to say something you will find ridiculous: Octopus's Garden is one of my favourite songs.

But...this is because of sentimental value.

So I agree, these two songs make little sense amongst the rest of the album. In fact, Let It Be and Don't Let Me Down would have been so much better. Even Across The Universe...bits and pieces of Let It Be (the album) could (and should) have been polished up for this record!

As I pointed out, I like both songs and I always thought it took balls to release them. But they had so many unreleased songs, great songs.

• Like 1

I won't list top 10 songs but my favorite Beatles album is Revolver. It was the beginning of the experimental trippy stage. Everything after that is massively overexposed IMO.

Alright, I'm moving on from song rankings. Album ranking time (much easier for this band IMO, though still harder than for most)

My Top 10 Beatles albums::

1) Magical Mystery Tour. Love everything on it, even the stuff considered "filler" by a lot of people (Blue Jay Way, Flying)

2) Abbey Road. Amazing. Not crazy about Maxwell but I can't really picture this album without it. And Side 2 is PERFECT.

3) Revolver. John's songs on this are mostly incredible (She Said She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm Only Sleeping)

4) Hard Day's Night. My favorite of the early records.

5) Sgt. Pepper. A Day in the Life--need I say more?

6) Rubber Soul. Torn between preferring the US or UK versions, as they are both unique in certain ways.

7) The White Album. So damn diverse. Only risen in stature with me over the years. I'll even not skip Rev 9 sometimes now! :D

8) Let It Be. So many great songs here...The version of Across the Universe on "Naked" is amazing.

9) Meet The Beatles. For me, this US version of the early stuff works better than both Please Please Me and With The Beatles.

10). Help! I gotta get the US version just to have that cheesy cool James Bond intro.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

I made a tailgate playlist for the Paul show last weekend. Here are the first Beatles songs from the list so I'll put these up.

1. Tell Me Why

2. You Can't Do That

3. Another Girl

4. Doctor Robert

5. Magical Mystery Tour

6. Fixing A Hole

7. Paperback Writer

8. If I Needed Someone

9. She's A Woman

10. Old Brown Shoe

Best Beatles Album... White Album

Favorite Beatle: George

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

I made a tailgate playlist for the Paul show last weekend. Here are the first Beatles songs from the list so I'll put these up.

1. Tell Me Why

2. You Can't Do That

3. Another Girl

4. Doctor Robert

5. Magical Mystery Tour

6. Fixing A Hole

7. Paperback Writer

8. Hold Me Tight

9. She's A Woman

10. Old Brown Shoe

TELL ME WHY!!!!!!!!

Easily a permanent top ten song for me! First time I heard it I couldn't believe it wasn't a major hit!

• Like 2

1. Tell Me Why
  2. You Can't Do That
  3. Another Girl
  4. Doctor Robert
  5. Magical Mystery Tour
  6. Fixing A Hole
  7. Paperback Writer
  8. Hold Me Tight
  9. She's A Woman
  10. Old Brown Shoe

TELL ME WHY!!!!!!!!

Easily a permanent top ten song for me! First time I heard it I couldn't believe it wasn't a major hit!

I remember hearing/seeing Tell Me Why in the Hard Day's Night movie. Permanently burnt in my brain all these years... and I saw the movie when it first came out. :codger:

http://youtu.be/y_BNnF0Kz1I

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

Hm, first time I heard Tell Me Why it kinda grated on my nerves. The chorus sticks for sure, but it also sounds a touch whiny to me. I tend to view the song as more annoying than most.

I love every track on Abbey road except Because, cuz it just never really appealed to me more than it bored me. I love the playful whimsical nature of Maxwell mixed with the cynically dark lyrics. Genius there. And then Octopus' Garden is just good fun to me, and a better (though not catchier) song than Yellow Sub. Guess I'm the outlier today, hehe.

I listened to the start of the white album once back when the Beatles weren't on Spotify but we're still on YouTube, sounded like my kind of album.

• Like 1

Relistening to Revolver on Spotify rn. I remember my issues with it. The songs seem pretty much impeccable, it really must be praised for writing, both musically and lyrically, and it's experimentalism is welcome though old at this point. However, I really am not a fan of the mixing and production. Everything sounds small and difficult to listen too, the bass seems muddy, and I especially loose one of the most important aspects of experimental music: the space. There's no room for these tracks and atmospheric elements to breath or create much of an atmosphere. Perhaps I'm exaggerating, but I really loose some necessary atmosphere in many of the tracks. But then I had that prob with Sgt. Peppers and I got past it eventually, so what else do I have an issue with on here? Well speaking of spaces some of the most important spaces are between songs, and they sequence this and treat those spaces as if it were an average pop record, or like any of their past albums, when they level of difference between their songs and styles and sounds on the album really justifies more attention to making the songs sound like they fit together.

I'm missing flow, blend, atmosphere, and a few basic production skills. Songwriting can't be knocked though, and all of those complaints can be explained by noting this was kind of the first time anyone had attempted an album that nowadays people would have the knowledge and ability to pay better attention to these details. They can be forgiven for really not having the ability to know better at the time, but I still find fault.

IMO

• Like 1

Album rankings eh. Such a consistent high quality that the best I can do is group them.

My favorite is Revolver but I think any of these have a legitimate claim for #1, depending on what you like:

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Sgt Peppers

The Beatles/White Album

Abbey Road

Second Tier:

Hard Day's Night

Help!

MMT (album, not EP)

Let it Be... Naked

The rest, apart from Yellow Submarine, which doesn't really count as proper Beatles album IMO (though it has a couple classics of its own in Hey Bulldog and It's All Too Much):

Please Please Me

With the Beatles

Beatles for Sale

Let it Be

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Oh my days REVOLVER IS LITERALLY FLAWLESS

I don't agree with your opinion. :P

It's OK Queen suck. :P

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

It's OK Twenty One Pilots suck. :P

My thoughts exactly :P

• Like 1

At least they don't spend months working on rubbish songs.

They just spend minutes!

(Well I'm just gonna accept I did not defend my band at all really...and let this post on the forum as I am quite proud at my lack of achievement here).

• Like 2

At least they don't spend months working on rubbish songs.

They just spend minutes!

(Well I'm just gonna accept I did not defend my band at all really...and let this post on the forum as I am quite proud at my lack of achievement here).

:LOL:

The Beatles wanted to record Revolver with Steve Cropper at Stax Studio. That would have been something. I think Brian Epstein nixed it out of security concerns.

As for the actual production on Revolver. It's magnificent. ADT. Tape loops. Using the leslie speaker for vocals. The freakin' drum sound on "Tomorrow Never Knows". All of it recorded on a 4-track.

I don't know. It find the album has great pacing and a unifying sound.

• Like 4

The Beatles wanted to record Revolver with Steve Cropper at Stax Studio. That would have been something. I think Brian Epstein nixed it out of security concerns.

As for the actual production on Revolver. It's magnificent. ADT. Tape loops. Using the leslie speaker for vocals. The freakin' drum sound on "Tomorrow Never Knows". All of it recorded on a 4-track.

I don't know. It find the album has great pacing and a unifying sound.

Every aspect of that album is perfection.

Mick

• Like 2

Maybe I just need to listen to a better master on better headphones on vinyl...

But if I have to do all of that just to hear my complaints fixed then my complaints stand for good reason...though it could just be Spotify that sucks...and the version on CD at the library where I first heard it...

But if I have to do all of that just to hear my complaints fixed then my complaints stand for good reason...though it could just be Spotify that sucks...and the version on CD at the library where I first heard it...

To each his own. Nothing is required. You might not like how the album sounds, but it still helped push music recording into a very fertile era. For instance, I'm not the biggest fan of Pet Sounds, but it's still an album in the same pantheon of record producing.

• Like 2

To each his own. Nothing is required. You might not like how the album sounds, but it still helped push music recording into a very fertile era. For instance, I'm not the biggest fan of Pet Sounds, but it's still an album in the same pantheon of record producing.

I've gone right off Pet Sounds.

Not sure why...

• Like 1

I've gone right off Pet Sounds.

Not sure why...

cause i was right it sucks, lol

kidding kidding......it doesn't suck. it bores me though.

Mick

• Like 1