TRF's possibly first official Beatles thread!

I never took them seriously until 2010. They were my awakening to classic rock alongside Bruce Springsteen. I was in awe of their insane talent and the songs have not lost any lustre. They singlehandedly changed how I listen to music. As the last decade progressed, I became more and more excited by music of the 60s-80s. My decade has mostly belonged to the past, and I'm much richer for it. Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

Three years ago:

My top three are easy: Dear Prudence, Across the Universe, and Tomorrow Never Knows

Rounding out the top ten:

I Feel Fine

I've Just Seen a Face

Norwegian Wood

Paperback Writer

I'm Only Sleeping

It's All Too Much

Because

Today, everything stays the same except for the final two tracks. Not that I love It's All Too Much and Because less, but because I love Long Long Long and Cry Baby Cry even more:

Dear Prudence

Across the Universe

Tomorrow Never Knows

I Feel Fine

I've Just Seen a Face

Norwegian Wood

Paperback Writer

I'm Only Sleeping

Long Long Long

Cry Baby Cry

Edited by Rutlefan

I would like to know how much talent they had to write so many hit songs. Most bands burn out after one album, let alone have album after album, each containing hit after hit with few, if any, duds on the album. And they were all two/three minute songs, but how much was packed into a few minutes. They were master lyricists too.

Anyone know how they did it? Honestly, talent can only account for so much without experiencing burnout. They seem to have gone on for years before that happened.

I certainly am appreciating them anew now. Took them for granted as I grew up with them. Think I was 9 or 10 when I Wanna Hold Your Hand came out. Never realized their immense talent as songwriters until now. Better late than never. :)

You know how somebody says a person has "it". Well, the Beatles were four individuals who had "it" and that combination spawned something very special. Rock as a musical genre was still very new at the time and there was a lot of ground to break in it with both song compositions and production. They were the first band to say "why the hell not?" when it came to doing so many new things people hadn't heard before. Talent makes up a lot of it for sure but coming along at the right time when a genre was so new and fresh really allowed them to flourish with all sorts of different ideas.

All true, and they had what seems to have been the perfect producer for them in George Martin. He seems to have brought out their best and maybe took them in directions that other producers might not have. At any rate, it seems to have been the ideal match.

• Like 1

I would like to know how much talent they had to write so many hit songs. Most bands burn out after one album, let alone have album after album, each containing hit after hit with few, if any, duds on the album. And they were all two/three minute songs, but how much was packed into a few minutes. They were master lyricists too.

Anyone know how they did it? Honestly, talent can only account for so much without experiencing burnout. They seem to have gone on for years before that happened.

I certainly am appreciating them anew now. Took them for granted as I grew up with them. Think I was 9 or 10 when I Wanna Hold Your Hand came out. Never realized their immense talent as songwriters until now. Better late than never. :)

2 absolute musical geniuses who drove each other, directly and indirectly to greater and greater heights and 2 other extremely talented musicians one of whom also developed into an outstanding songwriter.

The one who developed into an outstanding songwriter had such a backlog of great songs by the time the band split up that he released a triple album that was, IMO, the best solo album any of them ever released.

• Like 3

They remain my fav band even though it's rare i play them these days.

This band defined my childhood, not a bad way to spend it.

my first album was Rubber soul. the last one i collected was With the beatles at 19. Took me so long. Cause i could not find With....anywhere. this was prior to online shopping for me. but i finally found a copy, lol.

good memories.

Mick

They were my first band I fell head over heels for. I remember being in elementary school when they came out and reading an article with someone saying they were going to be the greatest band in history, that proved to be true. It was also funny that older kids I knew told me I was too young to be a Beatles fan which made me angry. Bought my first album with pennies, raided the piggy bank..$3 :LOL:. I loved to get their new albums, sit down next to my parent's stereo and read along with the lyrics as the record played. Several Christmas mornings were spent that way.

Don't know what songs I would rate as my faves, there are so many. Always had a thing for Tomorrow Never Knows, it was weird but cool. Remember when it was released, listened to it on the radio and the DJ afterwards says Wow, there goes their career. :D. I know it is cliche but Sgt Pepper's was such a great album and I love to listen to it every summer to bring back those feelings as I listened to it over and over. My Life is another good one, a real tearjerker the older I get. They are a wonder, how so much happened just at the right time and place for it all to come together (no pun intended). Fab :clap: :heart:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

They were my first band I fell head over heels for. I remember being in elementary school when they came out and reading an article with someone saying they were going to be the greatest band in history, that proved to be true. It was also funny that older kids I knew told me I was too young to be a Beatles fan which made me angry. Bought my first album with pennies, raided the piggy bank..$3 :LOL:. I loved to get their new albums, sit down next to my parent's stereo and read along with the lyrics as the record played. Several Christmas mornings were spent that way.

Don't know what songs I would rate as my faves, there are so many. Always had a thing for Tomorrow Never Knows, it was weird but cool. Remember when it was released, listened to it on the radio and the DJ afterwards says Wow, there goes their career. :D. I know it is cliche but Sgt Pepper's was such a great album and I love to listen to it every summer to bring back those feelings as I listened to it over and over. My Life is another good one, a real tearjerker the older I get. They are a wonder, how so much happened just at the right time and place for it all to come together (no pun intended). Fab :clap: :heart:

It can be very depressing for me when I listen to them. Their career began when I was 9; here I am 65. It takes me from 4th grade on down Memory Lane. Gets harder to do as I get older.

• Like 1

It can be very depressing for me when I listen to them. Their career began when I was 9; here I am 65. It takes me from 4th grade on down Memory Lane. Gets harder to do as I get older.

There are some sad songs but overall I always feel happy after listening. I wouldn't have been interested in music if I hadn't found them, I spent many hours singing along with their songs, picking out the harmony part. When I got to jr. high, I joined chorus and also sang in church choir. John was my favorite so I guess that is why I tuned into the harmony when he sang it. I also tried to read his book but it was so convoluted it made me scratch my head. Later after finding Jabberwocky, it clicked in and of course Monty Python became hilarious later on too. Yes it surprised me to think I had been in elementary school when they appeared on the scene, it seems hard to believe all that time has gone by. But their music has meant so much to me, just as I have come to feel about Rush; those groups are touchstones.

• Like 1

I was 7 in Feb of '64 when I saw them on the Ed Sullivan show. I was utterly transfixed and totally blown away. There's never been anyone since that evening that seriously threatened replacing them as my favorite musical act ever.

The first time I saw Paul live in '93 I became very emotional, getting teary eyed as he performed a bunch of his Beatles songs. It was like having my life sung back to me as those songs had been with me at that point for 29 years. I've since seen him 2 more times and Ringo once and did not have the same intense reaction but of course really got into the shows anyway.

Edited by driventotheedge