The Coolest People In Music - The Anti Ass Hats

Lucas

The following I've met, and the experiences were all great:

Graham Gouldman

Al Stewart

There's more, but my brain is toasted today, for some reason.

Thats awesome, when they were still touring together as 10cc?

Gouldman is one of the greatest songwriters ever imo. Al Stewart was also pretty great. One of my favorite songs ever is Feel the Benefit by 10cc. Its like their Day In the Life.

Definitely Alex, and I think all of Rush as well.

Neil gets slagged off far too much online. Where its safe to do so. Hes just cut from a different cloth than most 'rock stars'.

Exactly. And I have no problem with that.

• Like 1

Neil gets slagged off far too much online. Where its safe to do so. Hes just cut from a different cloth than most 'rock stars'.

If you were to run into Neil in a social setting, and didn't treat him like a rock star, but just another person you were to run into at a wedding or party, I'm quite sure he would be very cordial and polite. The people who have problems with Neil are the fanboys who expect Neil to gush over the fans. The notoriety embarrasses Neil. I don't understand how people could think he's an asshole. He's allowed to live his life on his terms.
  • Like 9

I know people comment on how sick they are of seeing Dave Grohl. But hey, he seems like a pretty nice guy to me. I don't care how ubiquitous he might appear.

Lifeson seems a given.

Grohl does seem to be extremely genuine. I'm sick of the Foo Fighters, but I respect the hell out of Dave.

I'm a huge fan of his. I also don't care what any of the Neilbots on this forum think, he's a supremely talented artist and a damn good drummer. So is his little muppet friend.
  • Like 3

If you were to run into Neil in a social setting, and didn't treat him like a rock star, but just another person you were to run into at a wedding or party, I'm quite sure he would be very cordial and polite. The people who have problems with Neil are the fanboys who expect Neil to gush over the fans. The notoriety embarrasses Neil. I don't understand how people could think he's an asshole. He's allowed to live his life on his terms.

totally agree. He's laid out his unease and also explained several thousand times how to approach him. But the psychotic ninnies who insist on drooling over him and stalking him blow it for everyone. I'm in total agreement with him and his attitude. You can adore me and my work, but there are fuggin limits and you should respect everyone's personal.space. I always try to put myself in other people's shoes, and Katie Perry's underwear :)
  • Like 3

Warren Haynes.

One of the nicest (and one of the hardest working as well) musicians out there.

• Like 1

I've heard lots of good things about Ronnie James Dio.

I don't recall ever hearing of a fan having a bad interaction with him. I meet him at a record store signing in 1998 and he couldn't have been more nice and friendly to everyone. He talked to everyone like they were old friends he hadn't seen in years and wanted to catch up with. I've heard a number of stories of him just sitting on the steps of his tour bus after shows and talking to fans for a few hours. Not all music stuff either, he would get to know the fans a little bit personally while doing this.

In an interview with Rob Halford after Dio died, he told of a story of Dio giving a fan a ride home on his tour bus because the kid had missed the last bus of the night and was gonna have to walk. Dio saw the fan wearing one of his shirts walking down the street after they left the venue. He actually had the tour bus pull over to go talk to this kid and find out what was going on. I've never heard of a rockstar doing that before.

I don't think there was a more genuine and likeable person in metal than Dio.

• Like 10

I don't recall ever hearing of a fan having a bad interaction with him. I meet him at a record store signing in 1998 and he couldn't have been more nice and friendly to everyone. He talked to everyone like they were old friends he hadn't seen in years and wanted to catch up with. I've heard a number of stories of him just sitting on the steps of his tour bus after shows and talking to fans for a few hours. Not all music stuff either, he would get to know the fans a little bit personally while doing this.

In an interview with Rob Halford after Dio died, he told of a story of Dio giving a fan a ride home on his tour bus because the kid had missed the last bus of the night and was gonna have to walk. Dio saw the fan wearing one of his shirts walking down the street after they left the venue. He actually had the tour bus pull over to go talk to this kid and find out what was going on. I've never heard of a rockstar doing that before.

On Ozzy's Boneyard on XM, they were talking to his band mates after he died. They said that they would were late for a concert, leaving the hotel, and getting onto the bus, and they couldn't find Ronnie. He's holding the door to the hotel for people walking in. He was just that kind of guy.

It made me really sad to hear how cool he was and then to lose him. :(

• Like 6

Jordan Ruddess, John Petrucci.

I met both these guys for a little bit more than a smile and an autograph outside their hotel when they were in town back in 2005 and they were awesome to be around. Super kind, humble, and genuinely happy to spend a minute with a fan.

Mike Portnoy was there too, also a very nice, very cool guy, high energy and sort of hammy. (In the best way.)

I've never had a bad experience around Dream Theater. They're good people.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 4

Alex Lifeson

You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer human being in rock.

I remember a post I read about Alex just after I joined this forum. Someone was back stage with Rush after a show, and he saw a young lady go up to Alex with her Permanent Wave album cover, and asked him to sign it. Alex obliged, and as he was signing, the pen ran out of ink. When that happened, the woman began to tear up. Alex excused himself, and went around the room asking people if they had a pen. He found one, and went back, signed her album cover, and then kissed the woman on the forehead. :)

The dude is pure class.

He makes me think of an article I read about Dick Vitale a long time ago. Vitale apparently always makes time for fans; airports, restaurants, wherever, because he knows that's why he has a career.

• Like 2

The guy who sits in the cube next to me told me his wife went to High School with Trent Rezner, and he swears that Trent is one of the nices guys you could ever meet. He says that when Trent is in town, he always stops and visits with he and his wife if they ever cross paths. I thought he was full of shit, then I found out Reznor grew up in Mercer Pennsylvania, where my office neighbor lives.

Dio was another one who ALWAYS made time for fans.

• Like 3

I saw his second to last show. Before the encore, Neon Knights, he talked about how thankful he was to have had the fans' support. You could tell it wasn't like Ozzy's horsesh1t "We love you all," it was heartfelt.

I saw his second to last show. Before the encore, Neon Knights, he talked about how thankful he was to have had the fans' support. You could tell it wasn't like Ozzy's horsesh1t "We love you all," it was heartfelt.

But did he ask to see anyone's f***ing hands???

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

King's X

I've never heard a single bad word about any of them, anywhere. Only good stories.

A group of three stand-up guys.

http://www.arcadalive.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/photo-kings-x.jpg

I can testify this from personal experience..they are three of the classiest people you could meet....They were very kind to us at three different shows...my wife uses a wheelchair and they made sure she was down at the front, looked after by a member of their roadcrew, and allowed backstage after the show to hang out with them.

This happened two years later when they recognised and remembered us....diamond geezers.

• Like 8

I met YES but spoke a lot with Rick Wakeman. Very nice man.

My meeting with YES/2004... Rick's hand on my shoulder. The folder in my hand...They all signed the Roger Dean print I bought before meeting YES.

I was such a groupie

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/YESPIC_zpsfce3d4fb.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_5717_zps97c9234a.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 11

About 15 years ago, I saw Dick Dale at a small place here in NJ . . After the show, Dick hung around and talked with everyone - I talked to him about music, and heavy gauge guitar strings ( he uses super heavy gauge strings ) and just a bunch of other stuff ..

He was amazing, and spoke to everyone as if they were his family ... He actually gave me his email, and told me to write to him if I ever wanted to ask any other questions ..

A few months later, I read that it was his birthday, so I emailed him ... I mentioned that I had seen him at Club Bene in NJ, we had chatted about strings - and I wished him happy birthday ..

He writes back and said THANKS, and that he remembered our conversation, even going to the extent of saying "You were the guy with the black and white hair " ( I had longer black hair hair at the time with blonde sections in the front )

He couldn;t have been nicer, and he sounded incredible live

• Like 5

Eric Carr from KISS was an absolute saint.

yes, definitely ... he reminded me a lot of Randy Rhoads, in that he was a very humble, shy person who was almost out of place in the rock lifestyle

And I don't think it is simply people saying kind things about him in light of his tragic passing .. Everyone seems to say that he was the one who would spend hours with fans, because in reality, he was a fan too .. And there's the great story about him leaving the audition thinking he'd bombed, but asking for autographs from the band ..

Tommy Thayer is also a sweetheart and treats the KISS fans like gold.

Also, according to fans that have met him, Zakk Wylde is a huge teddy bear and treats his fans very well. There is this video of this little girl interviewing him and Zakk was SUPER nice to her and treated her as if she was his own child.

• Like 1