The Steven Wilson Thread

New album update

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/steven_wilson_what_to_expect_from_my_new_album.html

Steven Wilson offered an update regarding his yet-untitled new album, noting he's much more involved in the guitar department since the departure of Guthrie Govan from the fold.

He tells Guitar World: "It's a new day and a new direction. Of course, it's still going to sound like one of my records, but it's a little more song-based, a little more contemporary-sounding.

"And I'm playing more guitar myself, which is very different. Because on the last couple of records I had Guthrie Govan doing most of the guitar work. But this time around, I've gone for a different approach.

"I've played some solos that I'm really pleased with. It's nice to be back in the saddle of actually being a guitar player again."

After singling out UK guitarist/producer Paul Stacey (Oasis, The Black Crowes) as his new "right-hand man" and pointing out that singer Ninet Tayeb will be "a whole lot more involved" than on 2015's "Hand. Cannot. Erase.", Steven focused on the concept of the fresh stuff.

"The album reflects the world I find myself living in in 2016," he said. "There are strands that connect the songs, but there isn't a whole story like there was on 'Hand. Cannot. Erase.' That record was very much a narrative from beginning to end. This record will have more of a loose concept, with various strands and themes recurring in the songs."

Mr. Wilson has 17 songs in the bag right now, and intends to record all of them and then trim 'em down later. As for the release date, expect the goods in September 2017.

In previous updates, the musician shared a studio snippet of a new song called "Pariah." You can check it out below.

As previously reported, the new record will be Steven's first studio effort not to feature Guthrie Govan on guitar and Marco Minnemann on drums since 2011's "Grace for Drowning." The new members are drummer Craig Blundell and guitarist Dave Kilminster. You can read more about the new lineup here, stay tuned for updates.

I had wondered if Steven was going to handle more guitar this time around - I had seen FB updates from Craig, Nick, and Adam (but curiously no mention from Kilminster.) I do hope they bring Dave in for some work!

• Like 2

I had wondered if Steven was going to handle more guitar this time around - I had seen FB updates from Craig, Nick, and Adam (but curiously no mention from Kilminster.) I do hope they bring Dave in for some work!

Oh great, now we have to post responses twice on different forums? :P

My guess is Dave will be a hired gun, similar to Guthrie's intended function (I think SW let him play on most stuff out of laziness). Usually once a track is nearing completion is when leads are done. These musicians cost him money for each day they're in the studio, so the more he can focus and target their efforts the better for his wallet.

What this does tell me is SW will likely be playing more rhythm and if that's true, expect a more straight forward album since he's certainly no virtuoso. Probably stepping back a bit to leftover ideas from the Insurgentes era or pent-up hard rock frustration.

• Like 1

Oh great, now we have to post responses twice on different forums? :P

My guess is Dave will be a hired gun, similar to Guthrie's intended function (I think SW let him play on most stuff out of laziness). Usually once a track is nearing completion is when leads are done. These musicians cost him money for each day they're in the studio, so the more he can focus and target their efforts the better for his wallet.

What this does tell me is SW will likely be playing more rhythm and if that's true, expect a more straight forward album since he's certainly no virtuoso. Probably stepping back a bit to leftover ideas from the Insurgentes era or pent-up hard rock frustration.

Yes, Stoopid, on Facebook too! ;)

Actually, ""I've played some solos that I'm really pleased with" tells me he's playing lead, at least to some extent. You know, he used to be the lead guitarist in a band called "Porcupine Tree" :P

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 2

I still have never heard Grace or Insurgentes. Maybe I need to brush up by September. :)

I would do something about that if I were you. ;)

• Like 1

Actually, ""I've played some solos that I'm really pleased with" tells me he's playing lead, at least to some extent. You know, he used to be the lead guitarist in a band called "Porcupine Tree" :P

I think 'to some extent'. Time will tell if Dave is marched into the studio to add his expertise.

Dave is definitely involved!

I thought that as well but wasn't sure. I won't mind either way but Dave is pretty awesome.

Been listening to In Absentia and Deadwing a lot lately. Not sure what took me so long to get into this incredible musician and "band."

And why the heck is Fear Of A Blank Planet not on Amazon Music for purchase :huh: ?

Massive h/t to polarize, not and onion for talking up PT endlessly back in their TOST days. Thanks - you!

• Like 1

Been listening to In Absentia and Deadwing a lot lately. Not sure what took me so long to get into this incredible musician and "band."

And why the heck is Fear Of A Blank Planet not on Amazon Music for purchase :huh: ?

Massive h/t to polarize, not and onion for talking up PT endlessly back in their TOST days. Thanks - you!

https://www.amazon.com/Fear-Blank-Planet-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B008FVZHKO/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1486328101&sr=8-1

One of my favorites!

https://www.amazon.com/Fear-Blank-Planet-Porcupine-Tree/dp/B008FVZHKO/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1486328101&sr=8-1

One of my favorites!

Thanks!

I should have been more specific. The spoiled instant gratification version of me was looking for just the MP3 download version. I see on the link you provided, the cd version includes an MP3 (according to the "fine print.")

Edit...come to think of it, my phone app does not include the cd option, so I should have checked on the iPad. Silly me!

Edited by GabesCavesOfIce
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.c...8101&sr=8-1

One of my favorites!

Thanks!

I should have been more specific. The spoiled instant gratification version of me was looking for just the MP3 download version. I see on the link you provided, the cd version includes an MP3 (according to the "fine print.")

Edit...come to think of it, my phone app does not include the cd option, so I should have checked on the iPad. Silly me!

Yeah the CD has Autorip but I am pretty sure I saw the MP3 only version as well. Enjoy!

You're very welcome! :ebert:

When I got into SW and the PT in January of 2010, finding their CDs at the Best Buy or w/e seemed like a case of lightning strikes twice but I managed to snag a copy of FOABP at an FYE shortly afterwards, and later on my birthday a few months later I came home with Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and the Arriving Somewhere... DVD in one sweep. One of the few bands (King Crimson is another) that I didn't want to cave into leeching off mp3s of (at least the core of their material). Great times.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Listening to H.C.E. right now and found myself thinking that if what he is working on right now in the studio is better than this, you will have to scrape me up off the floor. I love this album with such a fierce love. :heart: How the hell can he top this?!?!
  • Like 3

Listening to H.C.E. right now and found myself thinking that if what he is working on right now in the studio is better than this, you will have to scrape me up off the floor. I love this album with such a fierce love. :heart: How the hell can he top this?!?!

H.C.E. is a very spectacular, stellar work of art.

He won't top it. The new album will be very different, and won't even try to compete. However, the new album will be great as well.

• Like 4

He won't top it. The new album will be very different, and won't even try to compete. However, the new album will be great as well.

+1 SW is smart enough to know that you create with no baseline. Meaning, you don't try to top yourself. You write from the heart and the rest takes care of itself.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

+1 SW is smart enough to know that you create with no baseline. Meaning, you don't try to top yourself. You write from the heart and the rest takes care of itself.

It annoys me that people still carp about his solo work. HCE stands up against all the great classic Prog albums and is probably more consistent than most.

Bringing in Adam Holzman was a master stroke, his solo in Regret #9 is fantastic.

Awesome!!!

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 5

I just listened to Yes----Tales from Topographic Oceans.He did a fantastic job on this classic. Can,t say enough about how good it sounds!!!!

In parts it sounds like a completely different album.

• Like 1

Agreed. What I mean is how can it get any better than this?!?! But that, said I do expect it to be his best work ever because with each new album it does seem to be the best yet. That is what floors me. He never runs empty.

• Like 1

I just listened to Yes----Tales from Topographic Oceans.He did a fantastic job on this classic. Can,t say enough about how good it sounds!!!!

Yes it does, that blew me away.
  • Like 1

Yes it does, that blew me away.

This is my all time favourite prog album.

I haven't heard this remix yet and now you have me actually full on mega excited!

• Like 2