How does Dream Theatre's epic Metropolis II: Scenes From a Memory stack up to 2112?

fraroc

As has been said before, Dream Theatre are better technicians, but Rush write much better songs.

Dream Theater are technicians. High Tech Text Book Musicians. In my not so humble opinion Rush are better musicians and song writers. To even compare Dream Theater to Rush is indeed a tragic travesty.

• Like 3

How can anyone compare the work of two childhood best friends and their adopted one-of-a-kind brother, emerging from music industry rejection and endless touring, changing the face of what we know as progressive rock all while flying the middle finger in the face of post-1960s hippie political correctness and record company pressures to a calculated, pretentious recording of douchebaggery of the highest ( lowest ? ) form ??

stop, please

%22Starman%22_emblem_(Rush_%222112%22_album).png

Lucas!!! You said it all man! I've got your back!!!! RUSH ON!!!! Wet Dream Theater can't even hold Neil Peart's sweatly jock strap after a nice motorcycle ride across the country!!!

• Like 2

Imo most rush fans feel the band continued to get better after 2112 whereas most dt fans feel they continued to get worse after scenes...

Interesting...

Dream Theater did get worse after "Scenes." Rush didn't start getting worse until Neil changed his drumming technique. JMO

• Like 1

2112 is mostly awesome, just cut out The Twilight Zone and you have a masterpiece of an album.

And with that bit of blasphemy, you just dicked yourself out of any more solo spots in my songs!

:moon:

• Like 1

As has been said before, Dream Theatre are better technicians, but Rush write much better songs.

Dream Theater are technicians. High Tech Text Book Musicians. In my not so humble opinion Rush are better musicians and song writers. To even compare Dream Theater to Rush is indeed a tragic travesty.

I agree with this. I lIke DT but nothing they have ever done beats the best of Rush.

• Like 3

2112 is 20 minutes of scorching balls to wall f**k you to the industry bliss.

I really like Scenes (it is my favorite DT album)......but like a lot of DT has too much musical masturbating after a while.

Totally different musical approaches. One with far more passion and feeling and the other a ton of musical gymnastics.

Give me 2112 all day every day. 20 minutes...to the point and full of power and passion.

Rush is a far better band in so many ways to boot. Not really close.

At all.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Um, apples and oranges?

Yeah it really is. Rush is their own category.

It's f***ing Rush!!!!

• Like 1

Imo most rush fans feel the band continued to get better after 2112 whereas most dt fans feel they continued to get worse after scenes....

I prefer 2112!

Six Degrees blows the doors off of Scenes.in nearly every way shape and form.

Only a few songs on Scenes I'd put in the same conversation. The Spirit Carries On, Overture 1928 and The Dance of Eternity are probably the three.

• Like 1

The thing I've never liked about Portnoy is he never sounds like Portnoy....I never hear him play and say "Hey that's Mike Portnoy"..... instead I hear "thts a Peart lick..thats a Bozzio lick...that's a Bissonette lick"....

When I hear any of those three ...they sound immediately like themselves...Bozzio in particular....and I can say the same for a host of other players...

Mike never stood out with a voice and DT as a whole is derivative...fun...but derivitive....

Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilsons material sounds like themselves....Harrison and Minneman both sound like themselves....

• Like 2

The thing I've never liked about Portnoy is he never sounds like Portnoy....I never hear him play and say "Hey that's Mike Portnoy"..... instead I hear "thts a Peart lick..thats a Bozzio lick...that's a Bissonette lick"....

When I hear any of those three ...they sound immediately like themselves...Bozzio in particular....and I can say the same for a host of other players...

Mike never stood out with a voice and DT as a whole is derivative...fun...but derivitive....

Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilsons material sounds like themselves....Harrison and Minneman both sound like themselves....

This whole argument is how I feel about Dream Theatre, before and after Portnoy.

I listened to Scenes From a Memory, once. And I wanted my money back before it was over.

2112 wins, from the first second of the opening salvo.

• Like 1

Well stated JB! Wow! You nailed it. I couldn't have said it better! MP is amazing but he is merely a copy cat text book hack. His arrogance and egotistical testicles don't help his cause either.

He has no sense of drumming self. He's a spitting camel who shouts when he tries to sing. Overrated artist.

• Like 2

Drum sound is horrible on Scenes. Drum sound is fantastic on 2112.

Petrucci throws in Lifeson-style arpeggios over Metallica riffs.

Bass is nondescript in Scenes but epic on 2112.

DT are better technicians than Rush. Shows that technique counts for f**k all.

• Like 2

I listened to Scenes From a Memory, once. And I wanted my money back before it was over.

2112 wins, from the first second of the opening salvo.

I am liking this band a lot more than you haha...but yeah if I hadn't bought the album box set for little over the price of one new album, I wouldn't have missed them.

Scenes is a good album, but there is a bit too much bombastic pomposity for me. Maybe if they cut down some of the jams and took out some of the drama. I want to like DT a lot, but there are factors that make it difficult. Due to these elements, I choose 2112.

I wake up,ahh,feel like listening to 2112,whack it on.The title track is a concise,twenty minute epic.Great.Next Dream Theater,Scenes,make sure I have nothing to do for the rest of the day,hmm,it does go on,wife getting cranky,dogs need a walk,lotsa fiddling but impressive stuff going on,oh the sun's going down,dinners ready.Both great albums and bands but I don't do who is the best etc.Waste of time.Now where is that Astonishing album,I have a week to spare.
  • Like 1

Drum sound is horrible on Scenes. Drum sound is fantastic on 2112.

Petrucci throws in Lifeson-style arpeggios over Metallica riffs.

Bass is nondescript in Scenes but epic on 2112.

DT are better technicians than Rush. Shows that technique counts for f**k all.

Hahaha! Totally Tony! The bass in Ream Theater is nonexistent yet Myung always looks like he is playing his ass off. Perhaps his beautiful hair is in the way. I've seen DT at least 10 times. Front row for many of the shows. I could barely hear John's bass. So yep, like Metallica, once Cliff Burton passed away so did the bass. Newsted is a nice guy. I used to check his groceries out at Safeway but man his bass playing was non-existent too.

"2112" makes all Dream Theater music sound like they are a high end cover band playing in some shithole in Iowa. Perhaps some dump in Idaho. I da ho? YOU DA HO! DREAM THEATER HAVE NO ORIGINALITY!!!!

• Like 1