Yet Another Lottery Thread - $675,000,000.00 Saturday Night

Principled Man

If someone wins here can i have a nickel? ;)

Aw, don't ask twice. I'll send you two shiny ones. They have such a nice picture of George Washington on them. :) Assuming, of course, that's the kind of nickel you were referring to. :AlienSmiley:

Edited by Lorraine

If someone wins here can i have a nickel? ;)

Aw, don't ask twice. I'll send you two shiny ones. They have such a nice picture of George Washington on them. :) Assuming, of course, that's the kind of nickel you were referring to. :AlienSmiley:

What other nickels are there apart from defensive football formations?

When I take into account my personal utility function for the value of money and the chance of sharing the jackpot, I'm no more tempted to play this week than I already am, which is not at all...

Speaking only for myself, I'd be happy to win $100. I'm not hoping to win big at all, but any amount would be helpful and much appreciated.

I guess one of 3 people in Michigan that won the $1m 'boobie' prize was a 19 year old kid.

That money will be gone by the end of the month. *sigh*

And you might be wrong. A uni schoolmate of mine back in the 90s won a bit over a million. He quit his part-time job to concentrate solely on school, invested some, banked some, and bought a townhouse (nothing extravagant or fancy + think 1990s townhouse prices). That's it. He was 20 or 21.

A few years before that when I was in high school my friend's parents won a few hundred thousand. They blasted through that money (sports cars, etc) but didn't save any for their 3 kids' upcoming college tuition.

Isn't always about age.

• Like 2

When I take into account my personal utility function for the value of money and the chance of sharing the jackpot, I'm no more tempted to play this week than I already am, which is not at all...

Yeah, I told a friend I'd be happy just to win a smaller prize. I'd have the $, no one would know it, and I'd be off the radar. You'd have a HUGE target on your back if you won the jackpot. Seriously, you'd have to go into hiding.

Yeah, I told a friend I'd be happy just to win a smaller prize. I'd have the $, no one would know it, and I'd be off the radar. You'd have a HUGE target on your back if you won the jackpot. Seriously, you'd have to go into hiding.

Yeah, probably. And that's even if you gave away 95% of it.

I think you can remain anonymous; you don't have to be interviewed by the news media and so forth.

But yeah, it would still be hard to keep it under wraps, it seems like.

I would seriously consider leaving the country if I won that much money. Get my affairs in order, claim it, then get on a plane with my immediate family to disappear. Away from all the crazies and money grubbers in the US. In Eurpope or Australia, no one would know, no one would care.

I mean my wife and kid.The rest of my family could go scratch...

• Like 1

I would seriously consider leaving the country if I won that much money. Get my affairs in order, claim it, then get on a plane with my immediate family to disappear. Away from all the crazies and money grubbers in the US. In Eurpope or Australia, no one would know, no one would care.

I watched one of those "I Won the Lottery" shows on Discovery once and a guy from the Midwest that won like $ 40 million said that was the hard part- he could never make any new friends the rest of his life because he would never know if they were after his money. Luckily, he had a good crew of old friends.

One time, an acquaintance of mine that is an estate attorney was talking and said, "If there is enough money, people come out of the woodwork and they fight like the deceased could not have imagined." I think remaining anonymous or disappearing to another continent might be a good idea! :D

• Like 2

I watched one of those "I Won the Lottery" shows on Discovery once and a guy from the Midwest that won like $ 40 million said that was the hard part- he could never make any new friends the rest of his life because he would never know if they were after his money. Luckily, he had a good crew of old friends.

One time, an acquaintance of mine that is an estate attorney was talking and said, "If there is enough money, people come out of the woodwork and they fight like the deceased could not have imagined." I think remaining anonymous or disappearing to another continent might be a good idea! :D

Only 6 states allow lotto win anonymity. They are Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina.

• Like 3

Disappearing to another continent is easier than most people think. I did it with essentially no money at all.

• Like 1

Disappearing to another continent is easier than most people think. I did it with essentially no money at all.

That's what I'm thinking. All the current people search engines would choke on a country switch. people 411, zabasearch, whatever the site. So long as one kept a low profile in the new country, there would be little for someone to search on.

Over here in the US, I could imagine chasing away the roaches daily, with a shotgun. That's no way to live a life.

I think you can remain anonymous; you don't have to be interviewed by the news media and so forth.

Illinois requires jackpot winners to take part in a press conference. Other states vary, I believe. Wisconsin only requires that your name and city of residence be on their official list of winners. No press conference required.

Illinois requires jackpot winners to take part in a press conference. Other states vary, I believe. Wisconsin only requires that your name and city of residence be on their official list of winners. No press conference required.

I'd do like a Marshawn Lynch press conference. Every answer would be 'I'm just here to get my check bowss'

I think It depends on the lottery rules of the state involved, and most states want to publicize the winner. I know Texas has an opt out clause where winners can remain anonymous, but I'm not sure if it applies to the multi state powerball rules. Nor am I sure if other states have an opt out.

I'd do like a Marshawn Lynch press conference. Every answer would be 'I'm just here to get my check bowss'

Straight cash, homie.

• Like 1

Open an LLC, or a trust. That little company claims the money.

Hire an actor as the rep for the press conference.

Done.

Powerball hits $1.5 billion, largest-ever lottery jackpot for one winner

http://www.reuters.c...N0UQ21920160112

The jackpot is worth $930 million if a winner chooses an immediate cash payout instead of annual payments over 29 years, according to the Multi-State Lottery Association.

Edited by goose

Done.

Our local news did a story on that tonight, the trust/LLC part. A lawyer said to handle it that way and it avoids the personal publicity ??!! Like we will need to know about it , but we can dream! :D

Done.

Our local news did a story on that tonight, the trust/LLC part. A lawyer said to handle it that way and it avoids the personal publicity ??!! Like we will need to know about it , but we can dream! :D

Interesting. Surprising to me.