Geddy Responds to Peart "Retirement" Article

Ron2112

Right now Neil is squeezing oranges for juice, making some breakfast, and scratching his nuts.

You go Neil...scratch away!

He may still be farting and rolling around in bed its 8am in La-La Land.

I expected he'd react that way. Accepting the news and not really doing any mudslinging. It does seem like he wants to try talk to Neil about the possibility of being in Rush "part time"

The link came up wonky. I found it from a search. Here's the text.

Rush mainman Geddy Lee has moved to squash rumours that drummer Neil Peart had announced his retirement.

Peart gave an interview to Drumhead magazine in which he's quoted as saying he's happy to accept the description of himself as a "retired drummer," but Lee says his bandmate was merely confirming that he could no longer commit to lengthy tours.

Lee tells Prog: “There’s really nothing to say. I think Neil is just explaining his reasons for not wanting to tour, with the toll that it’s taking on his body. That’s all I would care to comment on it.

"We’ll get together eventually and chat about things. But in my view, there is certainly nothing surprising in what he said. Neil just feels that he has to explain with all the thousands of people asking, ‘Why no more tours?’ He needs to explain his side of it.”

Asked whether he feels Peart's quote was taken out of context, Lee adds: “I think that’s absolutely right. That’s their job. Talking about something when there’s nothing to talk about.”

Fans are clamouring for confirmation on whether Rush will continue to record and perform live. Peart previously said he wanted to spend more time with his family, while guitarist Alex Lifeson said he was largely over his health issues and wants to continue playing with the band.

Rush released live DVD, Blu-ray and CD package R40 last week.

• Like 2

I expected he'd react that way. Accepting the news and not really doing any mudslinging. It does seem like he wants to try talk to Neil about the possibility of being in Rush "part time"

Stop whinging about a band you hardly know and go listen to all the remaining albums you have yet to hear!

Forty years of music awaits! Be happy!

It is strange to me to think that either Alex or Geddy would be anything but happy for Neil. If that's the case, it isn't Neil that is the selfish prick.
  • Like 4

It is strange to me to think that either Alex or Geddy would be anything but happy for Neil. If that's the case, it isn't Neil that is the selfish prick.

This.

x1000

Thanks for posting the article, JARG.

So Geddy seems to be saying that we all have to sit back and wait and see what the future brings for Rush. I suppose that's really no different than it's been after every tour, rumours aside.

The trouble is, waiting sucks!

• Like 1

Or maybe i'm extrapolating. Anyone else wanna give it a go?

Give an honest opinion here that breaks away from group think???? Are you kidding????? :whip: :smash:

Yep, that is the quickest way to be "cast out"! :tsk:

• Like 1

Or maybe i'm extrapolating. Anyone else wanna give it a go?

Its obviously a touchy subject at this point. They have to balance their needs as active musicians -- the band is their livelihood still -- versus Neil's needs as a family man. And who besides them really knows how well either side has articulated their feeling on this subject? Or whether -- as FOH Lights says -- there's way more baggage associated with this subject than anyone here suspects.

Ged and Al's "give it more time" approach makes the most sense. By the middle of next year, Neil could be itching to do something creative as well. No matter what scenario you believe, it's hard to think he'd begrudge Ged and Al the chance to make some new music at the very least, if that's what they want to do.

So Geddy seems to be saying that we all have to sit back and wait and see what the future brings for Rush. I suppose that's really no different than it's been after every tour, rumours aside.

It is the hardest part.

I think anyone who took Neil's comment at face value was misguided. It was an offhand almost throwaway comment that somehow got spun into an official announcement. I'm not saying that's not where Neil's head is at, because I don't know the man, but the way everyone cried doom and gloom was quite hyperbolic IMO.
  • Like 2

He wants to be home with his almost five year old daughter, spare her the pain. Five years from now she is almost ten, if he can get his body feeling right who knows what happens. HGH???
  • Like 1

Indeed. I hear it's the hardest part.
  • Like 1

He wants to be home with his almost five year old daughter, spare her the pain. Five years from now she is almost ten, if he can get his body feeling right who knows what happens. HGH???

When she hits 13 he'll be on the road again. Guaranteed.
  • Like 2

So your saying there is a chance!

Yeah!!! O.K I read ya I read ya.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

When she hits 13 he'll be on the road again. Guaranteed.

:LOL:

• Like 1