Name a favourite band of yours, one you've followed for years, that you think this forum doesn't appreciate. Tell us all about them

treeduck

isnt Kate bush well liked in Europe? Or sells well at least?

Americans seem to have a problem with a woman in pop who doesn't primarily sell sex. madonnas music seems like advertisements for her pussy

You're not American are you? Because that is one of the most full of sh*t asinine comments I've ever read on the interweb, which is saying something. I could list dozens of American female singer/songwriters who have loomed large over the musical landscape -- critical and commercial -- but what's the point. I love reading Europeans speak authoritatively about Americans. Most are perfectly clueless, like they watched a few episodes of Dallas and some YouTube videos and so assume they understand things.

you don't think sex appeal is a very big deal, especially when it comes to marketing female pop stars today? I live in georgia, I thought everyone knew that. I think you're trying to read something in my post that isn't there. it's hard for unattractive folks, especially unattractive women, to get big in the pop world. I didn't say it's never happened before.

Actually, I thought you were from England for some reason; maybe your love for Kate Bush even though she was pretty big in the U.S. when I was in college (mid/late '80s, around the time of Hounds of Love), and a bit after that.

Of course sex appeal is big, bigger than ever (superficially so), but I can't see how Americans "have a problem" with non-sexy women, even in pop. Sex sells nearly everything, but it seems in music talent also sells. Just a few days ago even I saw a very old but very classy Carly Simon play live on tv, back up by a son and a daughter. Zero sex appeal in the whole thing but it was really great. Morning show crowd loved it as well.

I wish I could find people who like kate bush in the US! it's just the odd person online here and there

I guess I should have specified I was talking more about the mtv era to present day, and even then we're all aware of plenty of exceptions, but I think for every serious woman in music who manages to get famous, you've got a hundred more tiffanys and meghan trainor types.

Kate Bush. Seems lacking a proper worshipping cult on the other side of 'The Pond'

Americans prefer Madonna :/

Kate Bush is hardly going to appeal to everyone, she is a genius but she isn't going to appeal to most high school girls, no matter how you market her!

Which is why I am impressed she is as big as she is!

Legend. In every way. But Madonna (as much as I respect her) is not really much of an artist, and her music is tailor made for those who merely enjoy music on a surface level.

Just because they are women doesn't mean they are comparable. Kate Bush has had phenomenal success with her otherworldly, absolutely breathtaking, career!

She should have been bigger, but then again her music has too much depth for the average pop fan. Sad but true.

I wasn't saying Madonna and Kate are comparable, my point is that Americans prefer pop that is good background music for shopping malls.

She is kind of a cult artist in the UK. Madonna, Britney, Rihanna are all a lot bigger!

Adele moreso than all!

cult artist? what a shame

I always assumed she must be huge over there, from all the tv appearances I found and all that. plus all the sold out gigs when she finally played live after 35 years of avoiding it, but I guess that's just the type of buzz you get when you haven't played live for decades

She gets a lot of respect, but whenever I bring her up, everyone (regardless of age) remembers Wuthering Heights. Not even Running Up That Hill rings a bell...

Shame, but she has a hardcore fanbase from what I have gathered on the internet, but don't think our radios in the UK are somehow superior, the junk still plays! (I enjoy it haha but only coz I like dumb fun).

British radio is very much owned by Simon Cowell nowadays.

that's funny, but it kinda ruins my fantasy of England - people in hobbit holes watching blackadder and listening to Genesis and Kate bush under an eternally gray sky

If I had read this I would have realized you aren't from England, obviously. I had a similar experience in the mid-'80s re an English fantasy. Mom was travelling to London. Thinking she was going to the world epicenter of musical knowledge and hipness, I gave her a list of great music to get; hard to find (in the U.S.) Brit artists, mostly post-punk bands. She went to Tower Records in London. She came back with nothing. She said the store employees had never heard of any of the bands and the store didn't have anything off my list. The store was playing really pop stuff the whole time she was there, she said. Having spoke with many Brit ex-pats all over the world over the years (mostly during the '90s when I spent a lot of time in countries I wouldn't want much to return to now, at least not the way things have been going), my impression became that it is more often than not the case that obscure British bands are even more obscure among Brits than they are among Americans.

Not cutting on the Brits btw; I was far more disillusioned by my first visit to California after graduating from an East Coast college. I expected some kind of enlightened beat poet/post punk art culture; instead I met of bunch of slackers who thought they were some kind of culturally special animal, but were really just people that wanted to spend nights at clubs and avoid real work during the day. Not so interesting beyond that. My barbecuing neighbors who I'd always looked down on (through my teen arrogance goggles) as bourgeois boors rose much in my estimation. in comparison.

I guess its human nature to think everywhere must be cooler than where you live. I have cartoonish images of lots of countries - everyone in Norway likes black metal, for example

Americans seem to have a problem with a woman in pop who doesn't primarily sell sex. madonnas music seems like advertisements for her pussy

You're not American are you? Because that is one of the most full of sh*t asinine comments I've ever read on the interweb, which is saying something. I could list dozens of American female singer/songwriters who have loomed large over the musical landscape -- critical and commercial -- but what's the point. I love reading Europeans speak authoritatively about Americans. Most are perfectly clueless, like they watched a few episodes of Dallas and some YouTube videos and so assume they understand things.

you don't think sex appeal is a very big deal, especially when it comes to marketing female pop stars today? I live in georgia, I thought everyone knew that. I think you're trying to read something in my post that isn't there. it's hard for unattractive folks, especially unattractive women, to get big in the pop world. I didn't say it's never happened before.

Spot f***ing on. Country's the same way these days. There are two molds, one for men and one for women, and if you're not a Stepford artist, you're f***ed.

Not cutting on the Brits btw; I was far more disillusioned by my first visit to California after graduating from an East Coast college. I expected some kind of enlightened beat poet/post punk art culture; instead I met of bunch of slackers who thought they were some kind of culturally special animal, but were really just people that wanted to spend nights at clubs and avoid real work during the day. Not so interesting beyond that. My barbecuing neighbors who I'd always looked down on (through my teen arrogance goggles) as bourgeois boors rose much in my estimation. in comparison.

Hey, I'm a Californian who, in years past, spent nights at the clubs and then went to work during the day :P

You were one of the good ones! I remember when I could live off of two to three hours of sleep a night for several days in a row. Long time ago that.

Egads, how did we ever do that?

Hey, I'm a Californian who, in years past, spent nights at the clubs and then went to work during the day :P

You were one of the good ones! I remember when I could live off of two to three hours of sleep a night for several days in a row. Long time ago that.

Egads, how did we ever do that?

Youth. Powerful stuff.

To the topic, The Church. Been kickin' *ss (again) since 1998 (kicked plenty of *ss before that, but Grunge knocked them off the commercial map). Surprised more Rush fans aren't tuned into them.

Just to clear up the matter of Kate Bush's popularity in the UK.

Last year, she played her first live dates since 1979. 22 nights at the Hammersmith Apollo London.

They sold out inside 15 minutes. She is in fact very popular, just not very prolific or high profile.

• Like 2

16 Horsepower.

Dark, atmospheric Bluegrass rock. Led by the enigmatic, Brian Jones look-alike Dave Eugine, they were quite popular

across Europe, mainly due to their live performances. I never see them mentioned in the rock media.

They have now evolved into "Wovenhand" with Eugine still pulling the strings.

Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 2

Trillion.

Two albums.

No filler.

Great riffs.

Great vocals.

Great melodies.

Great everything.

Shut up arguing and go buy you peasants!

CHOP CHOP!

Spot f***ing on. Country's the same way these days.

Country, as a genre, has never been more diverse.

To the topic, The Church. Been kickin' *ss (again) since 1998 (kicked plenty of *ss before that, but Grunge knocked them off the commercial map). Surprised more Rush fans aren't tuned into them.

Love 'em!
  • Like 1

Love 'em!

As do I. This is my favourite song of theirs:

• Like 2

Some poster shere here knows about my affixation of the music of Peter Hammill/Van Der Graaf Generator, but I reiterate one more time I've been following his career since about 1992/93, his music and especily his lyrics affected me every bit as much as Rush's music and his career is significant in my opinion. Shame he's been so vastly over looked by the general public.

Another artist who's career I have followed for years is Mike Keneally. He is a guitarist/composer/keyboard player

(sometimes all three at once). He was plucked out of obscurity by Frank Zappa to join him on his final tour in 1987 and his career took off after that. In 1993 he was chosen by Dweezil Zappa to lead the rock band in the Zappas Universe celebration/concerts. He released his first solo album, "hat." in 1993. I started following his career in earnest in about 2000 when he released an amazing album called "Dancing" and played a little show with guitar great Henry Kaiser in Berkeley of that year. I went to the show and fell in love with his music. He is currently back to leading his band, Beer For Dolphins which includes and has always included bass great Bryan Beller currently of the Aristocrats. He is also in Joe Satriani's band with Bellar and Marco Minneman and has recorded collaborative albums with Minneman and Andy Partridge of XTC amongst others.

Kate Bush. Seems lacking a proper worshipping cult on the other side of 'The Pond'

Americans prefer Madonna :/

Kate Bush is hardly going to appeal to everyone, she is a genius but she isn't going to appeal to most high school girls, no matter how you market her!

Which is why I am impressed she is as big as she is!

Legend. In every way. But Madonna (as much as I respect her) is not really much of an artist, and her music is tailor made for those who merely enjoy music on a surface level.

Just because they are women doesn't mean they are comparable. Kate Bush has had phenomenal success with her otherworldly, absolutely breathtaking, career!

She should have been bigger, but then again her music has too much depth for the average pop fan. Sad but true.

I wasn't saying Madonna and Kate are comparable, my point is that Americans prefer pop that is good background music for shopping malls.

She is kind of a cult artist in the UK. Madonna, Britney, Rihanna are all a lot bigger!

Adele moreso than all!

cult artist? what a shame

I always assumed she must be huge over there, from all the tv appearances I found and all that. plus all the sold out gigs when she finally played live after 35 years of avoiding it, but I guess that's just the type of buzz you get when you haven't played live for decades

She gets a lot of respect, but whenever I bring her up, everyone (regardless of age) remembers Wuthering Heights. Not even Running Up That Hill rings a bell...

Shame, but she has a hardcore fanbase from what I have gathered on the internet, but don't think our radios in the UK are somehow superior, the junk still plays! (I enjoy it haha but only coz I like dumb fun).

British radio is very much owned by Simon Cowell nowadays.

that's funny, but it kinda ruins my fantasy of England - people in hobbit holes watching blackadder and listening to Genesis and Kate bush under an eternally gray sky

Really? We are quite Americanised...biggest shows here tend to be American (aside from the older guys), most my age and younger prefer American stuff. And you won't her rock anywhere...

And Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Bieber, Adele, Coldplay rule the charts year after year...

I was mostly joking. I did always assume that more people would be into Kate bush and British prog In the uk.

Prog? Nah mate...not big at all...Yes, Tull and Genesis get no media attention. Pink Floyd is the closest you will get I am afraid!

Punk is far more popular.

Segue, do you like Wendy James ( solo or with Transvision Vamp ? )

Lu

Lucas I am not cool enough to know what a tranny vamp is...

Any good!?

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Hanoi Rocks

I'd give this 10 likes if it were possible

Their own Boulevard Of Broken Dreams was a hell of a lot better than that overblown Green Day garbage.

• Like 1

http://classicalbumsundays.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Soul-Mining-packshot-300x300.jpg

http://rymimg.com/lk/f/l/ef34b6c9ff7f3100222d8fecd6d7f4b0/5119085.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41F4DM7VPAL._SY300_.jpg

http://cdn.discogs.com/l_brb03sBSmapl_0J3DPsgdKi98=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-6509036-1420894660-8967.jpeg.jpg