What do you think is Geddy Lee's Best song?

Tom_Sawyer99

Geddy Lee has a unique vocal style indeed. Some love it, and some hate it, but his high nasally singing isn't the only thing that he has in his arsenal.

Over the years, he has proved to be quite a versatile singer (and badass bassist ;) ) , even into his sixties. But what song in his career do you think he was at his absolute best at?

(Note: this can include songs from Rush and his solo album My Favorite Headache)

This is so hard to narrow down ... What makes Geddy so great is the fact that he is fantastic simply being himself and playing within the song - he never need some long, boring spotlight solo, song or moment to whip out something impressive ..

Having said that, the first that come to mind as favorites are:

Vocals - Cygnus X1

Bass - Circumstances

• Like 3

Some contenders:

Everyday Glory, or basically all of Counterparts (except Leave That Thing Alone)

The entirety of Hemispheres (excluding La Villa Strangiato of course.)

Permanent Waves

It's hard to choose one song from those.

Geddy Lee has a unique vocal style indeed. Some love it, and some hate it, but his high nasally singing isn't the only thing that he has in his arsenal.

Over the years, he has proved to be quite a versatile singer (and badass bassist ;) ) , even into his sixties. But what song in his career do you think he was at his absolute best at?

(Note: this can include songs from Rush and his solo album My Favorite Headache)

The Necromancer has just about all the things I loved about Geddy's voice. 2112 side one has the rest.

• Like 3

Vocally...my favorite song of Geddy's is Freewill. I like it because he sings a majority of the song with his more mature vocal style, but still breaks into that powerful banshee when necessary towards the end of the song. That "Each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete" moment is perfect to me. That may have been the last time that he performed with that power on an album.

I'll need to think some more about my favorite bass moment.

• Like 5

Vocally...my favorite song of Geddy's is Freewill. I like it because he sings a majority of the song with his more mature vocal style, but still breaks into that powerful banshee when necessary towards the end of the song. That "Each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete" moment is perfect to me. That may have been the last time that he performed with that power on an album.

I'll need to think some more about my favorite bass moment.

Yeah, Free Will has got to be in my top 3 of Geddy vocals...especially the line you're talking about

• Like 2

This is really hard to answer. What I'm drawn to with Geddy is the passion he puts into his work. Even when he has done a song a million times he still can imbue it with feeling, it is magical really.

The music is so much more than just the way his voice sounds, in fact without the support of both Alex and Neil I just don't think it would have the same impact.

I like a lot of his solo stuff too, but it brings a completely different emotion out in me than the stuff he has done with RUSH.

• Like 1

Songs that call to me

Resist acoustic version live

2112 the whole album(love the back and forth from priest to protagonist)

Losing It

Malignant Narcissism

Working at Perfekt

Grace by Grace

Whatcha doing

Fly By Night

Ok really too many to list here, so many for different reasons

It's hard to say really

A thing that a lot of people overlook is that for a good slice of their career, their songs were written purely on guitar.

Geddy has always been credited with music along with Alex, so he must be at least a competent guitarist himself...

I think Xanadu is his crowning achievement. Doubleneck: bass and guitar. Keyboards. Pedals. Vocals. He does it ALL in that song, and that's why I love it so much.
  • Like 2

From RUSH at least vocally it'd probably be something off PoW or HYF actually. I think that's when he had his best non-screaming voice (though I do love the shriek).

From MFH probably the song about the Canadian outlaw who died with his boots on or whatever that was lol.