2112 vs.THE ASTONISHING; (RUSH vs.DREAM THEATER) LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE!

Red Dwarf

I really like some DT. Not others. I enjoy them but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for this album. Sounds a bit hokey to me.

As much as i enjoy them They're discography is highly inconsistent. For every good album they'd release about 2 real stinkers. their last are wonderful though.

Mick

Next up, the New England Patriots take on your local Pop Warner football team.

I know nothing about Football, but judging by the nature of your post:

New England Patriots = Dream Theater

local Pop Warner football team = Rush

?

Because each Dream Theater is light years ahead of Rush when it comes to musical ability, so this is only what I can only assume you mean (this is, discounting the potential bias you have towards Rush being a member of TRF, of course) ;)

Edited by Mr. Not

?

Because each Dream Theater is light years ahead of Rush when it comes to musical ability, so this is only what I can only assume you mean (this is, discounting the potential bias you have towards Rush being a member of TRF, of course) ;)

Close. :)

?

Well, 2112 will certainly beat this upcoming DT album in sales, but I don't think that's a fair comparison.

?

Well, 2112 will certainly beat this upcoming DT album in sales, but I don't think that's a fair comparison.

They're not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

If anyone has seen the movie "Amadeus", there is a scene where the king criticizes a piece of Mozart's music because it has "too many notes". That's the way I feel about Dream Theater. I like some of their music, but most of it is way too busy for me.

True.

But then again, Mozart was a musical genius. So...valid comparison in more than one way!

Dream Theater's music sounds very calculated to me, to the point that I am cynical about the music having any sincere emotion. They are artisans, not artists.

This was my main gripe, but after a while I kind of started to dig them.

• Like 1

Dream Theater's music sounds very calculated to me, to the point that I am cynical about the music having any sincere emotion. They are artisans, not artists.

I certainly don't think they are a bad band. I do enjoy some of their music, but more for the craft. After I listen to them their songs don't get stuck in my head, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

I certainly don't think they are a bad band. I do enjoy some of their music, but more for the craft. After I listen to them their songs don't get stuck in my head, if you know what I mean.

Same here! I personally find DT to be like a watered down version of King's X. They have the talent, but not the x factor.

But I will admit some of the complaints I have regarding DT could also be aimed at KX without a doubt.

You nailed it again buddy.

"TAKE HEED! People of the Great Northern Empire of the Americas, all of the Realm, as far as this message will be carried! I am Arhys, Son of Marhys, one of three remaining heirs to the displaced, forgotten, and forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song. I contact you from the fair and just village of Ravenskill, far from the Emperor's Palace, in the outer edges of the Realm, nestled on Endless Isleland. By means almost indescribable, we have biohacked the receivers implanted into the flesh so many generations ago, jamming the cacophonous lull of the NOMACS for however much longer our primitive tech will abide.

We are a simple people, like most of you. Our hearts beat, our skin cracks, our bones grow tired, like all of you, even the nobility, even those who set themselves above us behind the tallest of walls and heaviest of armaments, as they are as empty as us. BUT LO, of late, Ravenskill is energized by talk of a Chosen One, possessed of a forbidden sound, a stirring melody almost impossible to comprehend. You must've heard tale of this Chosen One, a humble servant with the innate ability to break the shackles of the mind and heart we must've forgotten how to perceive. This Chosen One's very existence portends not the doom of which our Emperor warns, but rather, is a harbinger of untold possibilities. Could you dream of finding power beyond powerlessness? Could it be that very idea is a lie, sold to us by those who benefit most from our endless struggle?

My brothers and sisters across the Realm, I send this message to spread word that a Rebellion is rising in Ravenskill, to bring glad tidings that even as the Chosen One has been drafted by the fates, I have been drafted by the people to be your Commander. I am here to tell you that not only is this Chosen One real, and not a fiction as the Emperor’s messengers insist, but this Chosen One is, in fact, my blood, and my brother. Seek the Songs for yourselves. There is true freedom beyond what we’ve been taught. There is more than the endless drone of the NOMACS. I have seen and moreover, I have heard. I am but a messenger of the Chosen, a soldier of his light, a commander of rebellion. He, the Chosen One, is the conductor, of a force once thought lost, a force unrivaled by swords, steel, or even fire, wind, and water. TAKE HEED and PREPARE!"[/background]

...What a load of juvenile nonsense!

Edited by Imaginos

"TAKE HEED! People of the Great Northern Empire of the Americas, all of the Realm, as far as this message will be carried! I am Arhys, Son of Marhys, one of three remaining heirs to the displaced, forgotten, and forbidden Legion Of Sorrowful Song. I contact you from the fair and just village of Ravenskill, far from the Emperor's Palace, in the outer edges of the Realm, nestled on Endless Isleland. By means almost indescribable, we have biohacked the receivers implanted into the flesh so many generations ago, jamming the cacophonous lull of the NOMACS for however much longer our primitive tech will abide.

We are a simple people, like most of you. Our hearts beat, our skin cracks, our bones grow tired, like all of you, even the nobility, even those who set themselves above us behind the tallest of walls and heaviest of armaments, as they are as empty as us. BUT LO, of late, Ravenskill is energized by talk of a Chosen One, possessed of a forbidden sound, a stirring melody almost impossible to comprehend. You must've heard tale of this Chosen One, a humble servant with the innate ability to break the shackles of the mind and heart we must've forgotten how to perceive. This Chosen One's very existence portends not the doom of which our Emperor warns, but rather, is a harbinger of untold possibilities. Could you dream of finding power beyond powerlessness? Could it be that very idea is a lie, sold to us by those who benefit most from our endless struggle?

My brothers and sisters across the Realm, I send this message to spread word that a Rebellion is rising in Ravenskill, to bring glad tidings that even as the Chosen One has been drafted by the fates, I have been drafted by the people to be your Commander. I am here to tell you that not only is this Chosen One real, and not a fiction as the Emperor’s messengers insist, but this Chosen One is, in fact, my blood, and my brother. Seek the Songs for yourselves. There is true freedom beyond what we’ve been taught. There is more than the endless drone of the NOMACS. I have seen and moreover, I have heard. I am but a messenger of the Chosen, a soldier of his light, a commander of rebellion. He, the Chosen One, is the conductor, of a force once thought lost, a force unrivaled by swords, steel, or even fire, wind, and water. TAKE HEED and PREPARE!"[/background]

Aww, its nerdy and geeky and...I dig it!

That's the feeling I get about their album and song titles. They're trying too hard.

• Like 1

LOVE IT!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

• Like 3

Sorta surprised DT took this nerdy route. I always thought they were nerdy by nature, not by choice!

I LOVE IT!

• Like 1

Aww, its nerdy and geeky and...I dig it!

Ditto, they seem really excited about it, hopefully the music matches it. It'll hopefully be another dork little number like Dio's Magica