Geddy: Which song, or songs, if any, sound most effeminate to your ears?

Segue Myles

One of my favorite 'tweeners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_GUnwlXqP4

Yep but I would say 60% female 40% male at least. Not saying that in a negative way either. I always loved this tune btw... :cheers:

It's a great song - I like it as much now as I did 100 years ago when I first heard it

;)

I saw Nick Gilder in concert at some point and they booed him off the stage. I can't remember who he opened for, but I do remember how bad I felt for him. But he was just awful. It was right after this song came out.

wow

I always loved the song .... I can imagine though, if he got the wrong crowd, it could get ugly

I honestly can't remember who the opening act was but it was not long after that song came out. I saw a lot of concerts in the late 70s.

I don't know about going as far as calling it "effeminate", but Second Nature is my pick for one of the, if not THE, wussiest Rush song ever. Whenever I listen to this and then listen to Anthem or Bastille Day or 2112 Grand Finale, I weep bitter tears while asking "what HAPPENED to these guys??" :D

I don't know about going as far as calling it "effeminate", but Second Nature is my pick for one of the, if not THE, wussiest Rush song ever. Whenever I listen to this and then listen to Anthem or Bastille Day or 2112 Grand Finale, I weep bitter tears while asking "what HAPPENED to these guys??" :D

They started writing about real things and approached adult material with wisdom and maturity.

• Like 2

They started writing about real things and approached adult material with wisdom and maturity.

Yeah, go figure!?

• Like 1

I agree. HYF isn't anywhere near being my favorite Rush album but lyrics-wise it's easy top 3. I'd say it's a good album with great lyrics. Second Nature I'd say is an okay tune with thoughtful lyrics. "Wussy" never entered my mind.

• Like 1

I agree. HYF isn't anywhere near being my favorite Rush album but lyrics-wise it's easy top 3. I'd say it's a good album with great lyrics. Second Nature I'd say is an okay tune with thoughtful lyrics. "Wussy" never entered my mind.

I think it admirable that in an era of power ballads, Rush chose instead to write about, ya know, stuff we all feel!

Nothing wussy about manning up and admitting you are human. All this nonsense about rock stars needing to be rock stars. Bleh.

• Like 2

I think it admirable that in an era of power ballads, Rush chose instead to write about, ya know, stuff we all feel!

Nothing wussy about manning up and admitting you are human. All this nonsense about rock stars needing to be rock stars. Bleh.

I don't think jnoble is talking about lyric content, but about the "hard hitting" musical factor of the songs he's comparing Second Nature against.

That said, Anthem is on FBN, which has a very "wussy" song, Rivendell. Yes Caress of Steel has Bastille Day, but it also has Panacea. 2112 has both Grand Finale and Tears, so his argument is more or less self-defeating.

• Like 1

You want a singer that sounds like a woman, try listening to The Mars Volta. The first time I heard "The Widow", I assumed and had no doubt a woman was singing...

I think I must be interpreting the question in the thread title differently than most of ya'll. It seems like a lot of people are interpreting the title as asking, "Does Geddy Lee sound like a woman" or "Does Geddy Lee sing in an effeminate way" whereas I'm interpreting it as "on which songs does Geddy sound the most effeminate". Roger Daltrey has a growly, masculine voice, but he doesn't sing every song that way, so it is possible to say that he sings some songs more effeminately than others, even if he never actually sounds like a girl on any of them.

• Like 1

You want a singer that sounds like a woman, try listening to The Mars Volta. The first time I heard "The Widow", I assumed and had no doubt a woman was singing...

I think I must be interpreting the question in the thread title differently than most of ya'll. It seems like a lot of people are interpreting the title as asking, "Does Geddy Lee sound like a woman" or "Does Geddy Lee sing in an effeminate way" whereas I'm interpreting it as "on which songs does Geddy sound the most effeminate". Roger Daltrey has a growly, masculine voice, but he doesn't sing every song that way, so it is possible to say that he sings some songs more effeminately than others, even if he never actually sounds like a girl on any of them.

Exactly. The Big Wheel and to am extend Ghost Of A Chance both have an " effeminate" feel.

• Like 1

:goodone:

You and I, we are strangers by one chromosome

For you and me, we hold these truths to be self-evident

For you and me, we'd elect each other president

oh boy

That doesn't mean they did it well

funny ... I made a ringtone of closer to the heart ... when my son heard it he ask me if it was a girl singing .. and that started something amazing ... he became a huge, weird, crazy, nerdy Rush fan !!! ... he got me on here actually .. he goes by Entre_Perpetuo

• Like 2

Tai Shan

I don't care what transcendent moment Neil had while climbing the 7000 stairs and rhapsodizing eloquent about the Middle Kingdom, there's no way Geddy can sing that shit without sounding like a complete effeminate pansy.

• Like 1

Tai Shan

I don't care what transcendent moment Neil had while climbing the 7000 stairs and rhapsodizing eloquent about the Middle Kingdom, there's no way Geddy can sing that shit without sounding like a complete effeminate pansy.

He agrees with you! Not in those exact words, but there are a few different interviews out there where Geddy says he wishes they had never recorded Tai Shan. :)

Edited by blueschica

Tai Shan

He agrees with you! Not in those exact words, but there are a few different interviews out there where Geddy says he wishes they had never recorded Tai Shan. :)

I mean, it's a sonically pretty song with interesting rhythmic textures, but as a complete package it's Neil trying to put into existence what simply should not have been.

• Like 1

For me, Geddy rarely sounds like a woman. Occasionally high pitched, but rarely feminine.

But recently I played a friend HYF, and he mistook Open Secrets for Stevie Nicks! And he thought, whilst I played MP, that Rush was another of my "chick metal" bands haha!

Anyway, one song for me sounds very feminine: The Big Wheel. From the moment I first heard it, I thought it was Cher. And also How It Is.

The very first Rush song I ever heard (and I've told this story on this site before) was Spirit of Radio and I loved it immediately but did presume the singer to be a woman.