Geddy: Which song, or songs, if any, sound most effeminate to your ears?

Segue Myles

He has a way of enunciating certain passages that I guess could be considered 'effeminate'-sounding...but I don't want that to sound like a criticism, as it's not.

It isn't. I love the big wheel after all!

As do I!

• Like 1

I don't mind this thread being trolled away. Just wondered, as I am ALWAYS hearing that Rush sounds like a female fronted rock band by friends, if anyone here ever thought that way, or hear moments in songs that could perhaps be mistaken.

The chorus of Time Stand Still is another.

I don't know if you know this, but a woman is actually singing on Time Stand Still.

I was just joking!

lol

This was worth the price of admission

*bows*

• Like 3

I don't mind this thread being trolled away. Just wondered, as I am ALWAYS hearing that Rush sounds like a female fronted rock band by friends, if anyone here ever thought that way, or hear moments in songs that could perhaps be mistaken.

I don't know if you know this, but a woman is actually singing on Time Stand Still.

I was just joking!

lol

*bows*

BOW TO ME!

damn stupid peasant egg

• Like 3

Is it a woman?

Or is it a Mann?

:o :o :o

• Like 6

Is it a woman?

Or is it a Mann?

WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS?!?

More than simply sounding female, I think some of Geddy's 70s vocals were more ambiguous - the listener didn't know, for sure, whether it was a male or female

Geddy's voice had a timbre to it comparable to no one ... You cannot compare him to Steve Perry or Jon Anderson - I have never heard anyone close to Geddy

Closer To The Heart is the first song that comes to mind as far as uncertainty ... Of course, hearing it for the first time when you are 8 or 9 years old is a different experience than hearing it now, knowing what we know

It's like Egyptian Aliens - male or female or "doesn't matter" ??

70716265e36c8b71291d83d330877268.jpg

• Like 1

Is it a woman?

Or is it a Mann?

WHY DID I NOT THINK OF THIS?!?

:huh:

• Like 2

I was just joking!

lol

*bows*

BOW TO ME!

damn stupid peasant egg

I'm an eggplant sir...

*bows to self*

• Like 1

I was just joking!

lol

*bows*

BOW TO ME!

damn stupid peasant egg

I'm an eggplant sir...

*bows to self*

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/idiot.gif

• Like 1

I was just joking!

lol

*bows*

BOW TO ME!

damn stupid peasant egg

I'm an eggplant sir...

*bows to self*

My name is AnEggplant. I thought it was obvious...

:P

• Like 2

I was just joking!

lol

*bows*

BOW TO ME!

damn stupid peasant egg

I'm an eggplant sir...

*bows to self*

tumblr_n3k7o73M2f1sg0a6co1_500.gif

• Like 1

I was just joking!

lol

*bows*

BOW TO ME!

damn stupid peasant egg

I'm an eggplant sir...

*bows to self*

tumblr_n3k7o73M2f1sg0a6co1_500.gif

:LMAO:

• Like 1

I trust most people to have enough of a finely tuned ear to distinguish between the timbre of the vocals of a man and a woman.
  • Like 1

I trust most people to have enough of a finely tuned ear to distinguish between the timbre of the vocals of a man and a woman.

Effeminate doesn't necessarily mean sounding like a woman.

But if you don't hear it, then phew I ain't alone! I do on The Big Wheel...but it is partly due to the fact it sounds like a girls song anyway.

Effeminate doesn't necessarily mean sounding like a woman.

But if you don't hear it, then phew I ain't alone! I do on The Big Wheel...but it is partly due to the fact it sounds like a girls song anyway.

And what's wrong with that?!?!

More than simply sounding female, I think some of Geddy's 70s vocals were more ambiguous - the listener didn't know, for sure, whether it was a male or female

Geddy's voice had a timbre to it comparable to no one ... You cannot compare him to Steve Perry or Jon Anderson - I have never heard anyone close to Geddy

Closer To The Heart is the first song that comes to mind as far as uncertainty ... Of course, hearing it for the first time when you are 8 or 9 years old is a different experience than hearing it now, knowing what we know

I first heard Rush in the 70s when I was 5 or 6. I didn't see a picture of them until probably a few years later. But not once did I think Geddy was a woman. I just assumed it was a guy screaming. I was right.

I first heard Rush in the 70s when I was 5 or 6. I didn't see a picture of them until probably a few years later. But not once did I think Geddy was a woman. I just assumed it was a guy screaming. I was right.

Yeah, I never thought "oh, that's a female voice"

It was more of a mystery, if that makes any sense

We all knew David Bowie was not Ziggy Stardust, and Ace Frehley was not from outer space, and Geddy was not a woman .... But the fact that they were all working off the beaten path is something I loved - and still do ..

Geddy was an oddball - which I loved too, and his voice was a big part of that .. The guy is completely unique

Yeah, I never thought "oh, that's a female voice"

It was more of a mystery, if that makes any sense

We all knew David Bowie was not Ziggy Stardust, and Ace Frehley was not from outer space, and Geddy was not a woman .... But the fact that they were all working off the beaten path is something I loved - and still do ..

Geddy was an oddball - which I loved too, and his voice was a big part of that .. The guy is completely unique

I see. The difference is that Bowie/Ziggy and Ace's personas were calculated/intentional. Geddy was just like that with vocals just like that. In any case, I liked all of those guys and still do...except I haven't kept up with Ace since he split from Kiss that first time 30+ years ago.

• Like 1

I first heard Rush in 1975 or '76. His voice never struck me as odd or sounding like a woman. We were used to Robert Plant and a few others screeching away, so Geddy never sounded unique to me. I never doubted it was a male voice. Not like that Budgies' lead singer.
  • Like 1

I first heard Rush in 1975 or '76. His voice never struck me as odd or sounding like a woman. We were used to Robert Plant and a few others screeching away, so Geddy never sounded unique to me. I never doubted it was a male voice. Not like that Budgies' lead singer.

Does Geddy sing all the songs in an equally masculine way to your ears?

No. I like his eighties voice better than his seventies, the same way I liked Robert Plant's eighties voice better than his LZ voice.

But I never questioned whether the person singing Fly By Night (the first Rush song I ever heard) was a male or not.

• Like 1

No. I like his eighties voice better than his seventies, the same way I liked Robert Plant's eighties voice better than his LZ voice.

But I never questioned whether the person singing Fly By Night (the first Rush song I ever heard) was a male or not.

The reason I ask is because of the question posed in the thread title.