Prog =

LittleRushmonkey

That's a great question. I don't know. I like much progressive music but I Llike a lot of non "prog Rock" as well. So what is it? I don't know. I guess it's subjective.

Peter Hammill is my favorite songwriter but even though he is a progressive artist a lot of his music is not "Prog Rock". Genesis is a "Prog band", but a lot of their music is very commercial. Is it still prog if they wrote short pop songs yet still had moments of out and out "Prog Rock" sprinkled among them. Are they still progressive even if they aren't a "Prog rock band"? Is just having a longer sections of music that may be based around odd time signatures within a pop song "Prog Rock"? Jethro Tull started out as a blues band and then went quasi Prog but then became a blues band again. Are they a "Prog band" even bough they intentionally eschew that label? It's all pretty nebulous. But then so is jazz. I love jazz too. Miles Davis was a straight jazz musician until he discovered Jimi and Sly then went into quasi rock music yet still remained jazz. So is that "Prog"? Someone tell me I'd like to know. ;)

Prog= loved by snobs and those with a superiority complex, prog is prog only when the listener likes it. A phrase used to justify mostly self indulgent music that could have benefited from being lovingly cut down, had egos not got in the way. If the band reaches the top 100 of the charts, their prog-dom is brought into question, even though the fact remains that the only people who bought it were the same ten thousand prog fans who discovered them with the previous cult classic release. This somehow means they have "made it commercially" in spite of the fact the average Britney Bieber fan has never heard of them. To be prog, you have to be so unfashionable, it starts a major trend where all who listen "hate trends and labels and fashions", even though they only listen to that same style, having chosen to look for bands that follow that same loose formula, basically proving that the right to label music is a justified thing. Prog is prog, which basically means it can be anything. But only if the listener likes it. Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 5

Prog = Heavy Metal

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

"Prog is only prog when the listener likes it" lol

Prog = Heavy Metal

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

For a long time these were two separate musical genres. Then along came bands like Queensryche, Dream Theater and Fates Warning(to name but a few)and the two paths crossed. These days so many prog bands have a metal influence that sometimes the two genres are blurred without even needing the "prog metal" label. Personally I like my chocolate separate from my peanut butter most of the time but that's just me.

Prog = http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/geddy%20synth_zpso1tqfz6d.jpg

She is mighty fine.

• Like 1

Prog = http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/geddy%20synth_zpso1tqfz6d.jpg

She is mighty fine.

True, and she has two necks. :LOL: ;)

• Like 2

She is mighty fine.

True, and she has two necks. :LOL: ;)

Huehuehue

Prog = universally hated by pretentious critics for its pretense.

But loved by pretentious fans.

• Like 4

I always thought a great name for a prog band would be "STFU Robert Christgau, you pretentious pseudo intellectual POS".
  • Like 1

That's a great question. I don't know. I like much progressive music but I Llike a lot of non "prog Rock" as well. So what is it? I don't know. I guess it's subjective.

Peter Hammill is my favorite songwriter but even though he is a progressive artist a lot of his music is not "Prog Rock". Genesis is a "Prog band", but a lot of their music is very commercial. Is it still prog if they wrote short pop songs yet still had moments of out and out "Prog Rock" sprinkled among them. Are they still progressive even if they aren't a "Prog rock band"? Is just having a longer sections of music that may be based around odd time signatures within a pop song "Prog Rock"? Jethro Tull started out as a blues band and then went quasi Prog but then became a blues band again. Are they a "Prog band" even bough they intentionally eschew that label? It's all pretty nebulous. But then so is jazz. I love jazz too. Miles Davis was a straight jazz musician until he discovered Jimi and Sly then went into quasi rock music yet still remained jazz. So is that "Prog"? Someone tell me I'd like to know. ;)

So would I. I honestly have no idea what should be classed as prog. Maybe:

Prog = rock that doesn't fit into any other categories

Prog = Musicians who took music lessons as children but were nowhere near good enough to cut it in the classical music world so they grew their hair & joined groups with similar people who look down their noses at self-taught rockers who really are just as good if not better than they are. Edited by Turbine Freight
  • Like 1

Prog = Musicians who took music lessons as children but were nowhere near good enough to cut it in the classical music world so they grew their hair & joined groups with similar people who look down their noses at self-taught rockers who really are just as good if not better than they are.

Or wish they were. ;)