Prog =

LittleRushmonkey

I always wondered what the actual criteria were defining prog. I found this on a website http://www.progrockandmetal.net/progressive_music_definition.htm (interesting read):

Progressive Properties

1. Longer songs (or “epics”)
  2. Time changes (e.g., odd time signatures)
  3. More complex, sophisticated instrumentation and compositions
  4. Superior vocals
  5. More complex conceptual ideas / Heightened, lyrical content

1. Longer songs. Prog bands have a tendency to create long songs (i.e., “epic”) characterized by a combination of greater lyrical content and some very lengthy instrumental passages. These songs will break away from the traditional verse/chorus song structure and will be broken up into different parts or movements. This creates something along the lines of an orchestral suite or an album within an album.

1. Time Changes. One element that can dub a band as “progressive” is the time change or odd-beat characteristic. There is a noticeable difference between the structure of songs with really common beats (e.g., 4/4) and those that use diverse and complicated rhythms and/or switch between beats like 7/4, 11/8, 9/4, free-time, etc. Some people may find certain prog bands hard to “get into”. This usually stems from songs containing less than conventional song structures that require the listener to work a little to follow along. Within a few listens, it usually clicks.

1. More complex instrumentation. The instrumentation is another element that will separate ordinary rock/metal from progressive rock/metal. You will find some type of piano, keyboard, synthesizer, strings (violins, cellos, etc.), flute, tympani, and other more peculiar instruments mixed in with the guitar and drums in a prog band’s repertoire in order to setup the “progressive” sound. Progressive music will tend to have a more classical influence than would be your typical, blues-based rock music. There is a certain higher standard of talent set by many progressive artists. Many prog musicians could be considered virtuosos at their respective positions, usually with both passion and technical ability. I personally coined a descriptive term of “modern classical” to best describe my view of prog rock/metal (and NOT to be confused with “classic rock”)

1. Superior vocals. Another emblematic aspect of prog music is the incredible range and singing ability of many of the genre’s vocalists. Yes, there is a lot of emphasis on the music, but in most cases, you’ll see wonderful vocals in front of the music. Emotional Broadway-style displays, multi-part counterpart vocal melodies, and other layered vocal arrangements and choirs not only deliver a message, but also enhance the music, and become a part of it.

1. More complex conceptual ideas / Heightened, lyrical content. Prog artists sometimes undertake massive projects in developing ideas in their songs and albums. As a rule, lyrics in progressive music tend to be of a more sophisticated and intellectual nature – sometimes fantasy-based, sometimes pure original fiction, and sometimes dealing with heartfelt human emotion. Many albums tend to be “concept albums” which is a storyline or theme-based work in which the individual songs on an album all relate to one another to either directly recount a story or to immerse the listener into a more abstract experience.

• Like 1

Prog = .....

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3a/3a6b3f4e692d6be5348ae77aef5c7c84fabc9a66766932c8bfb9c110de49f68a.jpg

Well maybe not so much...

This then... Ah that's better... :codger:

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/4352/56/16x9/960.jpg

• Like 4

Prog = .....

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/3a/3a6b3f4e692d6be5348ae77aef5c7c84fabc9a66766932c8bfb9c110de49f68a.jpg

Well maybe not so much...

This then... Ah that's better... :codger:

http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/4352/56/16x9/960.jpg

That should be real men "aren't afraid" to wear kimonos.

I always wondered what the actual criteria were defining prog. I found this on a website http://www.progrocka..._definition.htm (interesting read):

Progressive Properties

4. Superior vocals

1. Longer songs. Prog bands have a tendency to create long songs (i.e., “epic”) characterized by a combination of greater lyrical content and some very lengthy instrumental passages. These songs will break away from the traditional verse/chorus song structure and will be broken up into different parts or movements. This creates something along the lines of an orchestral suite or an album within an album.

1. Time Changes. One element that can dub a band as “progressive” is the time change or odd-beat characteristic. There is a noticeable difference between the structure of songs with really common beats (e.g., 4/4) and those that use diverse and complicated rhythms and/or switch between beats like 7/4, 11/8, 9/4, free-time, etc. Some people may find certain prog bands hard to “get into”. This usually stems from songs containing less than conventional song structures that require the listener to work a little to follow along. Within a few listens, it usually clicks.

1. More complex instrumentation. The instrumentation is another element that will separate ordinary rock/metal from progressive rock/metal. You will find some type of piano, keyboard, synthesizer, strings (violins, cellos, etc.), flute, tympani, and other more peculiar instruments mixed in with the guitar and drums in a prog band’s repertoire in order to setup the “progressive” sound. Progressive music will tend to have a more classical influence than would be your typical, blues-based rock music. There is a certain higher standard of talent set by many progressive artists. Many prog musicians could be considered virtuosos at their respective positions, usually with both passion and technical ability. I personally coined a descriptive term of “modern classical” to best describe my view of prog rock/metal (and NOT to be confused with “classic rock”)

1. Superior vocals. Another emblematic aspect of prog music is the incredible range and singing ability of many of the genre’s vocalists. Yes, there is a lot of emphasis on the music, but in most cases, you’ll see wonderful vocals in front of the music. Emotional Broadway-style displays, multi-part counterpart vocal melodies, and other layered vocal arrangements and choirs not only deliver a message, but also enhance the music, and become a part of it.

1. More complex conceptual ideas / Heightened, lyrical content. Prog artists sometimes undertake massive projects in developing ideas in their songs and albums. As a rule, lyrics in progressive music tend to be of a more sophisticated and intellectual nature – sometimes fantasy-based, sometimes pure original fiction, and sometimes dealing with heartfelt human emotion. Many albums tend to be “concept albums” which is a storyline or theme-based work in which the individual songs on an album all relate to one another to either directly recount a story or to immerse the listener into a more abstract experience.

Right, so:

Prog= loved by snobs and those with a superiority complex, prog is prog only when the listener likes it. A phrase used to justify mostly self indulgent music that could have benefited from being lovingly cut down, had egos not got in the way. If the band reaches the top 100 of the charts, their prog-dom is brought into question, even though the fact remains that the only people who bought it were the same ten thousand prog fans who discovered them with the previous cult classic release. This somehow means they have "made it commercially" in spite of the fact the average Britney Bieber fan has never heard of them. To be prog, you have to be so unfashionable, it starts a major trend where all who listen "hate trends and labels and fashions", even though they only listen to that same style, having chosen to look for bands that follow that same loose formula, basically proving that the right to label music is a justified thing. Prog is prog, which basically means it can be anything. But only if the listener likes it.

• Like 1

jazz = Genre that best show musicianship and most complexity

fixed

I was about to type something similar but not as specific. :) There is a lot of musical masterbation in jazz as well.

fixed

has Jazz elements, thats why i said prog

Yeah...and classical, and blues. Anything goes, really.

I don't agree with your musicianship comment, though. Jack-of-all-trades...

fixed

I was about to type something similar but not as specific. :) There is a lot of musical masterbation in jazz as well.

For sure.
  • Like 1

Prog= The only genre you can make a 20 minute song

Not true at all.

Classical

Jazz

Post rock

Kraut rock/space rock

Ambient

Jam bands

Experimental

Fusion

I'm sure there are others.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 2

Not true at all.

Classical

Jazz

Post rock

Kraut rock/space rock

Ambient

Jam bands

Experimental

Fusion

I'm sure there are others.

"Prog is only prog when you like it"

• Like 1

I always wondered what the actual criteria were defining prog. I found this on a website http://www.progrocka..._definition.htm (interesting read):

Progressive Properties

4. Superior vocals

In other words, music that's a bitch to dance to.

Go ahead try dancing to the beginning ot TSOR...you'll look like you're having a seizure.

• Like 2

Prog = a genre that was virtually unknown to teenage sci fi music geeks ten years ago but now their cd and ipod collection is filled with Ayreon, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Muse, Riverside, Pink Floyd, Rush and Yes.
  • Like 1

Prog = a genre that was virtually unknown to teenage sci fi music geeks ten years ago but now their cd and ipod collection is filled with Ayreon, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Muse, Riverside, Pink Floyd, Rush and Yes.

Uh. No.

Uh. No.

Uh. No.

Which part are you disagreeing with?