moving pictures - 70s or 80s album

bathory

moving pictures  

21 members have voted

1. 1. is moving pictures a 70s or 80s album

y or n

n

I love how it's not really a yes or no question.

Our young friend is just cool like that... :smoke:
  • Like 4

:blah: Roaring Twenties

No that would be HYF... :LOL:

Come to think of it, you're right.

So, Moving Pictures is more big band stuff - I hear a touch of Benny Goodman in some of those songs, and I keep seeing The Andrew Sisters for some reason.

Put me down for early forties then.

• Like 1

How many of these 70s or 80s polls do we need? Moving Pictures was made and released in the 80s. How could it possibly be a 70s album?

It's a parody of the other poll. The thinking here is that the 80s as a decade didn't technically begin until 1981, and since MP came out in early 81, it must be the case that most the material was written in 1980 (or earlier).

Bathory is just taking a ridiculous argument to its logical conclusion.

• Like 5

How many of these 70s or 80s polls do we need? Moving Pictures was made and released in the 80s. How could it possibly be a 70s album?

It's a parody of the other poll. The thinking here is that the 80s as a decade didn't technically begin until 1981, and since MP came out in early 81, it must be the case that most the material was written in 1980 (or earlier).

I like your post, but..

According to Wikipedia: The 1980s (pronounced "nineteen-eighties", commonly abbreviated as the "Eighties") was a decade of the Gregorian calendar that began on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989.

• Like 1

Good. :P

I like your post, but..

According to Wikipedia: The 1980s (pronounced "nineteen-eighties", commonly abbreviated as the "Eighties") was a decade of the Gregorian calendar that began on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989.

Some people involved in the debate whether or not Permanent Waves is a 70s or 80s album say that the 80s didn't begin until 1981. I believe JARG was saying that that is a dumb argument.

I like your post, but..

Some people involved in the debate whether or not Permanent Waves is a 70s or 80s album say that the 80s didn't begin until 1981. I believe JARG was saying that that is a dumb argument.

Yes. That was a real reading comprehension issue there, doh.

I like your post, but..

Not quite. If you look in other places besides wiki, you'll see that there is an argument made that a decade doesn't start at year 0, but rather year 1. Someone in the PW thread had raised that point and jokingly asked if MP should be considered a 70s album since 1981, rather than 1980, is the start of the decade. I assume Bathory was just running with that joke a little bit.

• Like 1

There a couple of threads on here that show you that anyone can convince themselves to believe anything if they try hard enough.

Oh, there are more than a couple. Many of them are found in Sense O'Clock News.

It's neither as 1979 through 1981 is musical limbo; musically, the '70s ended in 1978 and the '80s began in 1982, in the world according to Me :codger:. But, if forced to choose a decade, it's more classic '70s AOR than '80s video rock, though it does have elements that clearly look forward, no doubt.

Seriously, PeW and MP seemed like a natural evolution to me at the time; Signals sounded like a departure and GUP a radical departure from what they'd been all through MP.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

It's neither as 1979 through 1981 is musical limbo; musically, the '70s ended in 1978 and the '80s began in 1982, in the world according to Me :codger:. But, if forced to choose a decade, it's more classic '70s AOR than '80s video rock, though it does have elements that clearly look forward, no doubt.

Seriously, PeW and MP seemed like a natural evolution to me at the time; Signals sounded like a departure and GUP a radical departure from what they'd been all through MP.

Only took 3 posts to make my point...