Team Rock Article: Rush Farewell Show

anaeel

The article was just posted, but requires registration to read in full.

Link: http://www.teamrock.com/features/2015-09-04/exit-stage-left-inside-rush-s-farewell-show

For those not wanting register. Here is the full article.

It's a balmy Saturday night in Los Angeles, and Row 9 on the floor of the LA Forum is drummer heaven – or maybe drummer hell, depending on your viewpoint. Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers stands next to the Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins. A few seats along, Tool’s Danny Carey is engaged in conversation with current Queens Of The Stone Age man Jon Theodore.

Like the 17,000 other people in attendance, they’re here to see Rush bring their sold-out R40 ‘anniversary’ tour to a close (in typically perverse Rush style, it’s actually 41 years since they released their debut album). But there’s one particular thing onstage that has them rapt, eyes front and centre: Neil Peart. As Peart thunders into Overture from the Canadian trio’s breakthrough album 2112, the gaze of all four drummers instantly snaps stagewards, like dogs who have spotted a biscuit. The object of their attention rattles across his seemingly endless parade of tom-toms as the band segue into Temples Of Syrinx, and 17,000 pairs of air-drumming arms shoot ceiling-ward. None are more animated or as on the beat as Smith, Hawkins, Carey and Theodore.

A couple of hours later, Smith is enjoying the hospitality at the post-show end-of-tour party and recalling his indoctrination into the Cult Of Rush as a teenager. “I spent my sophomore year of high school in the parking lot, smoking weed and listening to 2112,” he says. “That’s when my Rush education began. I do believe it's a prerequisite for all rock drummers to go through a Neil Peart phase.”

It’s not just a drummer thing. Matt Stone, the co creator of South Park and a close friend of Peart, is equally effusive. “Totally amazing show!” he says, waving his drink around for emphasis. “I invited a couple of friends of mine that I grew up with in Denver. We saw Rush in 1985 at McNichols Arena, and it was really cool to bring it full circle here in 2015.”

There’s a lot of talk about things coming full circle tonight. If recent proclamations by certain band members are anything to go by, then this tour – and specifically this show – represents the end of Rush as a touring entity, if not the end of Rush full-stop. Peart has made it clear that he's tired of the physical and mental toll that playing live night after night takes. There are no more shows scheduled following the LA gig, either in the US or Europe. Asked recently whether this would be Rush’s swansong tour, guitarist Alex Lifeson replied: “I don’t think we’d have much difficulty thinking about it as possibly the last.”

Remind Geddy Lee of this today and he laughs. “That’s not true,” says the bassist and singer. “I’m having great difficulty thinking like that. Alex is not speaking for me, and I don’t think he’s really speaking for himself either. I think he has mixed feelings. I don’t want to speak for him. You can ask him. He can tell you his own lies.”

It’s three days before what may or may not be Rush’s final show, and Lee, Lifeson and Peart are moving in slightly more rarefied circles. The three of them have convened at the Canadian consulate in LA, where a reception is being thrown in their honour. The Consulate is bestowing its very first Honoree For Canadian Excellence award on the band, thanks in part to the fact that they have played Los Angeles 36 times over the years (it also happens to be Lee’s 62nd birthday).

In the landscaped gardens at the rear of the well-appointed house, half a dozen tables have been set up for a dinner. The band members all sport the Order Of Canada pins they were awarded in 1997. Their families are here, as is their long time manager, Ray Danniels, South Park’s Matt Stone and actor Jack Black, the latter of whom spends the evening glad-handing other guests and demanding to know, technically speaking, whether we’re in Los Angeles or Canada. As the band are introduced by genial Consul General James Villeneuve (“Ray Danniels tells me the R40 cake I made contravenes some kind of copyright”), the assorted guests laugh good-naturedly. Glasses are raised and toasts are made, before Lifeson steps up to speak. “I’d just like to say, ‘Blah, blah, blah…’” he begins, a knowing nod back to his infamous Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame speech.

There’s some irony to this, at least when it comes to Neil Peart. The drummer, who has lived in California with his second wife, Carrie, for the better part of 15 years, was recently granted American citizenship. “Why did I take it?” he says, as we top up our glasses at the makeshift bar. “I found out that if you’re an American citizen, they can’t deport you.”.....

------------------

To read the rest, please register at TeamRock.com

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
Omitted full article -- pasting full article is not fair to the originating website.
  • Like 6

Thanks that was beautifully written almost brought me to tears again while reminiscing the show again. It's been one long awesome ride seeing these guys over the years.

Link:http://www.teamrock.com/features/2015-09-04/exit-stage-left-inside-rush-s-farewell-show

That's not fair to TeamRock.com. They rely on traffic and people registering to pay their bills. It's not right to take that away from them by posting the article in its entirely here.

Any site that creates a paywall or registration wall to protect their content is the type of site that really values its web traffic, and might create trouble for other sites who post their content. Sorry, but I had to edit the article down -- what you see there now is what TeamRock is willing to show for free.

http://www.teamrock....s-farewell-show

• Like 7

I saw this article circulating on the web over the weekend. It's in the current issue of Classic Rock magazine. The absolute key line in the whole thing:

"Later in the evening, he'll (referring to Neil Peart) tell Jack Black that it's over for him, as Black's eyes get wider and his jaw slackens with disbelief"

• Like 1

Thank you for the post...it seems like this tour was, in fact, it. I'm sad for us, but happy for them. Can't begrudge three hard working men a happy retirement (or semi-retirement), they've certainly earned it. It was a great trip over the years, one attached with so many great memories. Looking forward to more music and possibly the one off show here and there...a Rush fan can hold out hope. :)
  • Like 1

This article reminds me of Eddie Trunks, just a different location and different players making comments. Nothing new. No mention of future albums, or further music exploration that's definitive.

Rush will make another album. Setting up residency somewhere isn't a tour. That's been thrown around like Paris Hilton at a frat party.

We freakin' know they ain't touring. We know that. More music is the unanswered question.

• Like 4

I saw this article circulating on the web over the weekend. It's in the current issue of Classic Rock magazine. The absolute key line in the whole thing:

"Later in the evening, he'll (referring to Neil Peart) tell Jack Black that it's over for him, as Black's eyes get wider and his jaw slackens with disbelief"

TOURING is over for him...key word.
  • Like 3

Link:http://www.teamrock.com/features/2015-09-04/exit-stage-left-inside-rush-s-farewell-show

That's not fair to TeamRock.com. They rely on traffic and people registering to pay their bills. It's not right to take that away from them by posting the article in its entirely here.

Any site that creates a paywall or registration wall to protect their content is the type of site that really values its web traffic, and might create trouble for other sites who post their content. Sorry, but I had to edit the article down -- what you see there now is what TeamRock is willing to show for free.

YBG approved.
  • Like 1

I'm still floating on air because I was there, in LA, hanging with TRF friends, enjoying the moment.

It was immaculate! Earl's a punk for not hooking up with us!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/us_zpshxvnhx5q.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 4

Remind Geddy Lee of this today and he laughs. “Alex is not speaking for me, and I don’t think he’s really speaking for himself either...You can ask him. He can tell you his own lies.”

Ha! :joker:

• Like 1

I'm still floating on air because I was there, in LA, hanging with TRF friends, enjoying the moment.

It was immaculate! Earl's a punk for not hooking up with us!

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/us_zpshxvnhx5q.jpg

A great looking bunch to be sure... :cheers:
  • Like 3

I loved Geddy's quote about their first concert with Uriah Heep- too funny! (It appeared further down in the article, I just logged in with Facebook.) He says Uriah Heep had groupies and a pie fight backstage and, "We were like, ‘This rock’n’roll thing is cool.’ There was women and pie. I don’t know what we were more excited about.” Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

Great, great article. Thank you so much for posting it here.

Synopsis? To much to read... :D

The article takes place during the last two shows of the R40 tour (Irvine and LA). The article states that Alex and Neil are ready for it to be the final tour. Not a great shock, but Neil has the stronger opinion with his desire for it to be the last. He told Jack Black that this was it. Geddy and Ray don't want it to be the final show, with Ray wanting to work out things to make touring easier. An interesting side note was that Geddy wasn't sure if R40 was going to even happen. Then it suddenly came together due to Alex saying he wanted to tour now before his arthritis issues got worse.

• Like 1

You are right. I thought I might get in some hot water. I shared it quickly for other Rush fans who I am sure are hungry for even the slightest bit of new info, like me.

• Like 1

Before anyone panics, just remember that present Neil can't stop future Neil from doing anything.

That said, I've been a fan since 1978, first saw them on the Signals tour as a teenager and was at the final LA Show. I am at complete peace with the idea that it is over.

I loved Geddy's quote about their first concert with Uriah Heep- too funny! (It appeared further down in the article, I just logged in with Facebook.) He says Uriah Heep had groupies and a pie fight backstage and, "We were like, ‘This rock’n’roll thing is cool.’ There was women and pie. I don’t know what we were more excited about.”

So typically Geddy! :LOL:

• Like 1

Just please, please, please make new music. After seeing them on every tour since the beginning, I can handle not seeing them live again. I have a lot of great memories created at Rush concerts that I will cherish forever.

Not getting any more new music would be a tougher pill to swallow.

Edited by Mr. JD
  • Like 3