All right. I'm calling some of you guys out . . .

Rick N. Backer

I tried CA yesterday. Damn that production.

God it's so awful.

A clean up would help man i swear.

Mick

I have the hi-res audio version and I swear it is a vast improvement.

Any way to share it?

I think if you ask me to rank my favorite Rush albums 1000 times, you'll get 1000 different rankings.

Yeah, but I doubt that you'll put an album in the lower rankings in one list then in the very top of the rankings in another.

• Like 2

I tried CA yesterday. Damn that production.

God it's so awful.

A clean up would help man i swear.

Mick

I have the hi-res audio version and I swear it is a vast improvement.

Any way to share it?

Tsk, tsk.

Do you have a way to play hi res audio files?

I think if you ask me to rank my favorite Rush albums 1000 times, you'll get 1000 different rankings.

I bet if you ranked them 121,645,100,408,832,001 times, you'd have at least 1 matching one.

• Like 2

It's entertaining to watch a shit storm that I didn't contribute to.

:popcorn:

Imagine actually being in a shit storm. That would be so horrible.

Tornado going through a cattle ranch or pig farm...it could happen.

As I sit here trying to figure out just what my favorite album is (and not getting very far due to indecision), it did occur to me that for the last couple of years 95% of the time I listen to the live albums. There's real magic captured on Different Stages, both new and old. Geddy's performance on S&A Live blows my mind every time, in particular Secret Touch and TMMB. The R30 Overture. The Jacob's Ladder and Broon's Bane>The Trees>Xanadu on ESL. There's amazing stuff on Time Machine. The YYZ on CA Live is damn near as perfect as perfect gets.

Always will be a live band to me, I guess. :huh:

• Like 3

As I sit here trying to figure out just what my favorite album is (and not getting very far due to indecision), it did occur to me that for the last couple of years 95% of the time I listen to the live albums. There's real magic captured on Different Stages, both new and old. Geddy's performance on S&A Live blows my mind every time, in particular Secret Touch and TMMB. The R30 Overture. The Jacob's Ladder and Broon's Bane>The Trees>Xanadu on ESL. There's amazing stuff on Time Machine. The YYZ on CA Live is damn near as perfect as perfect gets.

You have a point. The album versions sound neutered compared to the live versions of the songs on ATWAS.

Damn all that and no mention of the best live recording they ever produced. Man they are great... :)
  • Like 3

Damn all that and no mention of the best live recording they ever produced. Man they are great... :)

I was going to say...where is ATWAS? or ASOH? Everyone knows those are the best live albums!

• Like 1

Yeah, but I doubt that you'll put an album in the lower rankings in one list then in the very top of the rankings in another.

I thought that at first, too, but I dunno, if it were stretched out over the course of 1000 days? My opinions have changed a lot over time, and they'll continue to do so, and most of them are so near to my heart that there'd be 5- and 10-way ties most days. Depends on what I'm feeling at the time. Sure, PeW is probably never dropping out of the top 5, and RTB is probably never leaving the bottom 5. But since acquiring the full discography over 10 years ago, albums like HYF, CP, and T4E have made their way from the lower rankings to the upper (and sometimes back again). On average, I think you're right; there wouldn't be utter upheaval. But there would be fluctuation. Random sample, as a wise man once told me, hold the one you need.

I bet if you ranked them 121,645,100,408,832,001 times, you'd have at least 1 matching one.

Was hoping someone would do this math. Factorial!!! :laughing guy:

I actually thought of that after I posted it, heh.

There's no flaws in ATWAS, really. It's a perfect snapshot of a band at that particular time in their life and career, and any guitarist that wants to know anything about how to work a volume pedal just needs to listen to the By-Tor.

• Like 4

I was going to say...where is ATWAS? or ASOH? Everyone knows those are the best live albums!

On ASOH, the performances of Marathon, Mission and Turn The Page are practically flawless.

I think that covers all of them... :D

• Like 1

There's no flaws in ATWAS, really. It's a perfect snapshot of a band at that particular time in their life and career, and any guitarist that wants to know anything about how to work a volume pedal just needs to listen to the By-Tor.

My man. Whew :sigh: ......That was a close one :)
  • Like 1

I even like the mic feedback while Lee's singing Bastille Day

• Like 1

I guess there can be a difference between favorite Rush album/song RIGHT NOW and favorite Rush album/song OVERALL. I always try to vote in these polls based on the latter.
  • Like 1

I love every feedback, miscue and whistle from the crowd. Everything...

Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures then Signals in that order. The rest rise and fall to different positions at different times. I do listen to Hold Your Fire a lot.

Moving Pictures is most likely the band's most important album.

• Like 2

I've been reading quite a few of the posts in topics like "Rank the Rush Albums" or "What is the Most Underrated Album" recently. Let's stipulate that music is subjective, so every one has and is entitled to their own opinion about what they like and why. Some people love Signals (I do) while others do not. Some people love Hold Your Fire while others do not (like me).

But . . .

I've seen more than a few folks suggest that their favorite Rush album of all time is Hold Your Fire. Or Caress of Steel. In a similar vein, I've seen people place Test For Echo higher than Moving Pictures in a ranking of the band's discography. I get it. "Real fans" love to say they don't like Tom Sawyer or Limelight because they've heard them too many times. Like everyone else, I like variety in what I listen to, and sometimes I'm not in the mood to listen to Permanent Waves. But there is a difference ( :finbar: ) between saying you need a change of pace from listening to a particular song or album, and suggesting that your own fatigue with a song diminishes its quality. Like it or not, Tom Sawyer is an amazing tune. It's the reason that we all own Counterparts, but chances are the person next to you at the coffee shop, if he or she is a rock fan, owns Moving Pictures.

So knock it off. If you have everything Rush ever released on your iPhone all the time, by all means, listen to Vapor Trails and Roll the Bones today. But if you were being banished to a desert island, and you only could take one Rush album to listen to for the rest of your life, you're not taking Caress of Steel. You know it. :)

CoS? :eh: of course not. I'm taking Feedback! :haz:
  • Like 2

hard to choose a favorite--just like it's impossible to choose a favorite child.

Desert island? one rush album? Either PW or GUP--Moving Pictures would be in the top 5 probably depending on the day.

If I could only bring one album with me on a deserted island...I sure as hell wouldn't be a Rush Album.

and Ah-One, and Ah-Two!

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0002/395/MI0002395552.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Like 2

100% authenticity

• Like 2

Even when Neil's snare broke during 2112? :)

I do believe however that it is possible that Caress Of Steel could be ones favorite i.e. LedRush...

No chance Narp. We're all fans, so we can listen to it and enjoy the experience. To say it is the apex of their creativity and performance? Cut it out.

Doesn't describe me, but what if you're into Tolkien-themed low-fi prog metal? Hmmm? CoS would be like a UPS package from the gods. :haz:

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3