Neil a phony??

nicky6

Maybe this thread is overlooking a huge point Neil might be making...

That the right tends to steal his music, play it at their rallies, Rand even quoted The Trees repeatedly without permission. Even Neil Young is PISSED AT TRUMP FOR STEALING.

For a Party that prides itself on respecting business and free market economics, perhaps this repeated outright theft of intellectual property has PISSED OFF MR PEART.

Neil has said they would have done the same no matter who used the music, which party they represented.... then he makes a statement like this?

Yet when politicians steal from the left ������ ...you never hear about it because the artist will show up and play a free concert, yet when the right ������ does it there is a cease and desist issued.

Wonder why.

What? :eyeroll: :facepalm:

took the word right out of my mouth

Is it ridiculous? I thought that this is what fans do, especially when they had a big intellectual influence on us. Neil did that for many of us, in spades.

Not even once has any of my favorite musicians - or any musicians for that matter - ever influenced my sociopolitical views.

Strange to see that kinda statement. I daresay Peart himself would scoff at the notion.

Only novelists? Or poets? Or pundits? Or playwrites?

Why is it strange?

He has always written on so-called sociopolitical views.

Neil Peart has a blog where he shares authors and writers who influenced or inspired him.

Letting others influence individual sociological and political understandings is, I would offer, how bad things happen. :)

Taking the facts available, one ought to filter and process their own understandings within their own capacities regardless of how others have openly expressed opinions on the same matter, be they presidents, poets, musicians, writers, journalists, fathers, mothers, cult leaders, whatever.

I don't believe in something because Brad Pitt does. I don't ascribe 'more strongly' to something because Neil Peart said something about it.

Okay. How does one reach the point they can process and filter through their own capacities? Is it simply innate? I'm not talking about mimmicking what others think. That's not what I said Neil Peart inspired me to do. But it does sound like how Neil Peart has espressed his "views" on Rand Paul.

Education and life experience, I suppose. Yes, of course we have to read others' books and listen to others' opinions while progressing through life, but only to shape the capacity to filter and process...not to form an end result. Obviously the latter is what many if not most people do. But that doesn't mean it's the right way. It's easy to hop on a bandwagon. It's much harder to build your own.

In any case, you said that Peart had a big intellectual influence on you, implying that his beliefs profoundly affected your own. I was pointing out that every opinion I've ended up concluding was never based on what Mark Twain would've thought on the same matter. The subject of the opinion is the main affecting factor...not how others see the subject.

Individuation vs. groupthink, I guess.

What's education and life experience without mentors or teachers? Artists, be it musicians or writers or actors or politicians or family, can have an affect. Neil Peart's lyrics pointed to individual choice and experience. It influenced the way I think, in a lot of ways. It just seems to me Neil forgot that about himself. He now seems lock step in line with a specific politicial ideology - one he once wrote about in a critical way.

I'm out...

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

I don't care anymore about his political opinions than a stranger in the street's. Neil's a drummer and a lyricist and I admire him greatly for that but I don't feel like I have to agree with him on everything. Also, just like anyone else, he has the right to think whatever he wants. I fail to understand this thread :huh:
  • Like 1

I don't care anymore about his political opinions than a stranger in the street's. Neil's a drummer and a lyricist and I admire him greatly for that but I don't feel like I have to agree with him on everything. Also, just like anyone else, he has the right to think whatever he wants. I fail to understand this thread :huh:

It's a Rush forum. A member of Rush has apparently did a 180 on views he wrote about in his music. It's a valid topic, don't you think?

• Like 3

go back a few posts and look at my "hypocrite" post. Kinda sums up the point of the thread.

I agree with the rest of your post, ideologically

You haven't been here long enough. :cool: :LOL:

• Like 2

Maybe Peart is angry at his intellectual property being repeatedly stolen and is counterattacking. And he no longer likes the GOP, which ain't that tough to imagine.

Then maybe he should say that he is mad about music being used instead of blindly calling someone a racist without anything to back it up.

Its very common for those on the left to look at the extremist right wing policies the last 20 or so years and think that of their political counterparts.

Nothing new.

Seriously? There are no extreme left wing policies to worry about?

A think a line can possibly be crossed.

Of course there are. I am attempting to defend Mr Peart by pointing out, given recent developments in the voting rights act and women's rights that his POV is fairly common to SOME OF those on the left.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Maybe Peart is angry at his intellectual property being repeatedly stolen and is counterattacking. And he no longer likes the GOP, which ain't that tough to imagine.

Yes, I find that when I am angry about people for using my IP I generally engage in baseless accusations of racism and misogyny.

The comments are based on recent developments in voting and women's rights. Far from baseless.

Wow, this thread is ridiculous. He's just a drummer in a rock band, and he's a human with an opinion. It's not the second coming.

Is it ridiculous? I thought that this is what fans do, especially when they had a big intellectual influence on us. Neil did that for many of us, in spades.

Also, I think for the topic it's been very civil.

I think it's one thing to discuss a bands lyrics but another to discuss something said in an interview.

Wow, this thread is ridiculous. He's just a drummer in a rock band, and he's a human with an opinion. It's not the second coming.

Also, I think for the topic it's be very civil.

no kidding. I thought this thread would be locked 6 pages ago.

Yeah, I thought that too.

Neil made huge comments, apparently 20 years ago he made a hard left ideological turn. Its huge news to those that have interest in Neil's words. Its a fair Rush discussion as long as we are civil.

• Like 2

Repeatedly stolen? When? By the GOP? When?

You did watch the Trump speech yesterday? Different Neil but same point (he stole from Neil Young, a Bernie Sanders supporter). Happens all the time with the GOP, sometimes with the libs. Do not use someone else's art without their express permission.

You did watch the Trump speech yesterday? Different Neil but same point (he stole from Neil Young, a Bernie Sanders supporter). Happens all the time with the GOP, sometimes with the libs. Do not use someone else's art without their express permission.

If Peart would have handled it the way Neil Young did, instead of making ignorant accusations, no one would have said anything negative about him.

• Like 1

Maybe SOCN has been expanded? :LOL:

Did I need to throw a f***ing grenade into this place?

;)

• Like 1

Maybe SOCN has been expanded? :LOL:

Did I need to throw a f***ing grenade into this place?

;)

Something like that,

I could send it over there in a heartbeat. But let the chips fall where they may. :D

If Peart would have handled it the way Neil Young did, instead of making ignorant accusations, no one would have said anything negative about him.

It is an unfortunate liberal talking point, however given recent developments with the voting rights act and women's rights, its fairly common view on the left. He didn't say Rand was born in Kenya, did he?

Rock stars, Movie Stars, Sports stars have as much right to misguided opinions as anyone else.

It's those who put those types of people on pedestals that have the problems...

This is slightly different, we're talking Neil Peart here. The smart, the thoughtful, the insightful, the polite. We're not discussing Cameron Diaz, Nikki Six or Rosie O'Donnel.

• Like 2

Neil made huge comments, apparently 20 years ago he made a hard left ideological turn. Its huge news to those that have interest in Neil's words. Its a fair Rush discussion as long as we are civil.

I suppose as long as the discussion stays civil, sure. But I think it's funny how someone can claim to know what Neil thinks. Only Neil himself knows that.

Rand Paul did make huge comments against the civil rights laws of 1964.

Can we please stop pretending Mr Paul is innocent here?

Philosophical differences about the role of government do not equal hate.

Someone of Mr. Peart's purported intelligence should be able to figure this out rather easily.

• Like 1

Nice, you're going to leave that dangling here with no context. We're to believe Rand Paul doesn't believe in equal rights for people of all races?

• Like 2

Philosophical differences about the role of government do not equal hate.

Someone of Mr. Peart's purported intelligence should be able to figure this out rather easily.

Role of government with respect to businesses open to the public. That's kinda why we have govt? I'm just pointing out that it wasn't baseless comments against Mr Paul. Will not get deeper into the politics here.

Is it possible his comments on the laws reflect his belief that the Federal government shouldn't have too much power to overreach the intentions of the law? Is that against "brown people?"

Again, the point is not Rand Paul's politics. It's Neil Peart's 180 on politics. Yeah, he has the right. Yeah, it's not that big a deal. Yeah, it could be a little disappointing to some of us, especially when it comes to the points made in some of his lyrics. Phony? Hypocrite? Epiphany? Who knows?

• Like 2

Is it possible his comments on the laws reflect his belief that the Federal government shouldn't have too much power to overreach the intentions of the law? Is that against "brown people?"

Again, the point is not Rand Paul's politics. It's Neil Peart's 180 on politics. Yeah, he has the right. Yeah, it's not that big a deal. Yeah, it could be a little disappointing to some of us, especially when it comes to the points made in some of his lyrics. Phony? Hypocrite? Epiphany? Who knows?

Phony, no. Hypocrite, no. Ignorant, most certainly.