Geddy on spoilers...

laughedatbytime

From an interview in the Montreal Gazette...

MG: I’ve been studiously avoiding the set lists because I want to be surprised …

GL: Good! That’s way more fun.

MG: Yeah, I find it kind of depressing that you can go find it all with one click.

GL: I know. It’s my bane, really. I spend six months designing a tour and planning the set list with the other guys, and you build it all so that the show will unfold in a particular and mysterious way — and people just love being famous by blabbing it online. (Laughs) They can’t wait to tell the world. I understand that too, because they have this connection to the rest of the Rush community, but I love it when they don’t talk about it, because to me there’s a sort of magic being in the audience and not knowing what’s going to happen next.

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainment/music/rushs-geddy-lee-the-complete-conversation

Get that, spoiler people, you are the bane of Geddy's existence.

• Like 13

Geddy HATES when you guys put songs in thread titles!!!

I think he also hates it when, after putting song titles in thread titles, you offer a fake apology and make a comment about how everyone else is being a jerk by asking you to be considerate.

• Like 10

Pfffft Geddy, what does he know aboot anything?

On a serious note I get why people avoid spoilers ala set list. I don't mind efforts to avoid spoilers but I'm glad the set list is out there. There are times I like to take non-Rush fanatics to the show and I want them familiar with the music.

Of course after August none of this Tai Shan will matter.

• Like 1

MG: I’ve been studiously avoiding the set lists because I want to be surprised …

MG: Yeah, I find it kind of depressing that you can go find it all with one click.

GL: I know. It’s my bane, really. I spend six months designing a tour and planning the set list with the other guys, and you build it all so that the show will unfold in a particular and mysterious way — and people just love being famous by blabbing it online. (Laughs) They can’t wait to tell the world. I understand that too, because they have this connection to the rest of the Rush community, but I love it when they don’t talk about it, because to me there’s a sort of magic being in the audience and not knowing what’s going to happen next.

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO busted. You owe me several tasty beers......... :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

• Like 2

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO busted. You owe me several tasty beers......... :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

I actually saw it on Facebook first then I wanted to see if it was posted anywhere here then I thought it should be seen by a wider crowd...

If you see the first show of the tours you can't get it anyway.

I am one of those that avoids the spoilers. The one show I went to without knowing most of the setlist had awesome surprise.

• Like 1

I also try to avoid any and all spoilers. But I knew that would be hard if I wanted to hang around here so I ended up going to opening night. And I was SO GLAD the show ended up being a total surprise! It wouldn't have been nearly as fun if I had known what to expect.
  • Like 2

I also try to avoid any and all spoilers. But I knew that would be hard if I wanted to hang around here so I ended up going to opening night. And I was SO GLAD the show ended up being a total surprise! It wouldn't have been nearly as fun if I had known what to expect.

I was in the exact same boat...totally worth it.

• Like 3

I'm sure the spoiler thing will blamed on this instant information age, but went to my first Rush concert in 83, there were people in line blabbing about the setlist so it's difficult to avoid. Instant information just makes it more...instant.
  • Like 1

I'm sure the spoiler thing will blamed on this instant information age, but went to my first Rush concert in 83, there were people in line blabbing about the setlist so it's difficult to avoid. Instant information just makes it more...instant.

I haaate it when some asshole in the audience goes "X is coming up next" as soon as a song ends.

• Like 2

I haaate it when some asshole in the audience goes "X is coming up next" as soon as a song ends.

I know. I never understood this. This "I look so smart" mentality is annoying. Let others enjoy the surprise.

• Like 3

I was fortunate to avoid the spoilers - for the most part - prior to seeing them in ATL. Nevertheless I still happened upon a couple online without even trying.

You pretty much have to avoid anything and everything about Rush online prior to your show date in orde to be assured you won't come across some spoiler.