Discovering new bands

I honestly love discovering new bands. I've been finding out about loads lately (mainly from a festival I'm going to) and at least 2 of them, Solstafir and Haken, have moved into my top 5 for now. I've also just started listening to Riverside who I've known about for a while but never really listened to and they're awesome. I saw a thread that you stop listening to new music after 30 or something, which I honestly hope isn't true because discovering new artists is one of my favourite things about music.

So my recent discoveries are:

• Riverside
  • Polyphia (An instrumental only band)
  • The Sixxis

what are your most recent discoveries?

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 3

The music output of today sucks so much that I've been finding time to "discover" bands from the past which I neglected when they started: White Lion, Dokken, Europe etc.

When it comes to new bands, I recommend the following: Royal Blood, The Temperance Movement and Von Hertzen Brothers.

• Like 3

This is my area if any of you have any questions. You can ask them here or PM me if you feel more comfortable going that route...
  • Like 4

I love Riveraide and saw them live in front of about 20 people. Awesome!!

Check out New York-based prog rockers JOLLY and any one of their three albums: 46 Minutes 12 Seconds Of Music, The Audio Guide Of Happiness Parts 1 and 2.

Bands I have discovered during the last year or so include :

Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson

Haken

Gazpacho

Opeth

Riverside / Lunatic Soul

Really looking forward to seeing Riverside and Haken at Ramblin' Man.

• Like 3

This is my area if any of you have any questions. You can ask them here or PM me if you feel more comfortable going that route...

Yeah, when I'm bored and want to find a new band to check out, I always go to Narpski. He's the guru of new trends!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, when I'm bored and want to find a new band to check out, I always go to Narpski. He's the guru of new trends!!!

Amen. Rod knows I have been tugging everyone's legs up to this point and acting as if I haven't discovered anything new since Reagan's first term... :eh:
  • Like 1

Haken

Gazpacho

Opeth

Riverside / Lunatic Soul

Same here. Quite a few of the bands mentioned here are going to Ramblin man fair, like the temperance movement who I've not got round to listening to yet. Knifeworld are also going if I'm not mistaken.

I can't wait to go. The last music festival I went to was Solfest, which isn't exactly my taste to be honest. Although they did have nice food there...

• Like 1

The music output of today sucks so much that I've been finding time to "discover" bands from the past which I neglected when they started: White Lion, Dokken, Europe etc.

When it comes to new bands, I recommend the following: Royal Blood, The Temperance Movement and Von Hertzen Brothers.

Those three modern bands are excellent!

I gotta be honest. I dunno shit about music in 2015.

Leviathan- Scar Sighted. That's 2015 for ya, lol. A damn fine release too. Can't wait for it to come out on vinyl in the fall.

Haken

Gazpacho

Opeth

Riverside / Lunatic Soul

Same here. Quite a few of the bands mentioned here are going to Ramblin man fair, like the temperance movement who I've not got round to listening to yet. Knifeworld are also going if I'm not mistaken.

I can't wait to go. The last music festival I went to was Solfest, which isn't exactly my taste to be honest. Although they did have nice food there...

I believe that Knifeworld are going to be there - I've heard a bit of their stuff, it sounds interesting. Believe it or not, this will be my first festival at the age of 49, I'm really looking forward to it.

This is newer music in my library...

Field Music

Wussy

Beirut

Baroness

Amanda Palmer

Cut Copy (In Ghost Colours)

Foals

Hot Chip (Made In The Dark)

Animal Collective (Merriweather Post Pavilion)

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Janelle Monae

Twin Shadow

Destroyer (Kaputt)

Fly Golden Eagle

Tedeschi Trucks Band

Chairlift (Something)

Savages

Crime & The City Solution (American Twilight)

VHB are very special. The new one is fab.

I was talking to someone about Nightwish yesterday and I'd only heard a bit of their stuff before. Listened to two of their newest songs and I was blown away. Especially by endless forms most beautiful.

Nightwish are my second favourite band and Endless Forms is hands down my favourite album in years!

I was talking to someone about Nightwish yesterday and I'd only heard a bit of their stuff before. Listened to two of their newest songs and I was blown away. Especially by endless forms most beautiful.

Nightwish are my second favourite band and Endless Forms is hands down my favourite album in years!

Years, plural? Wow...I knew you loved it, but I didn't know the superlative went that far.

Then come over and join Segue and I in the Nightwish thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/6895-nightwish/page__st__460