Concert Reviews

Disco

Just came back from a Katatonia show in NYC with Intronaut, TesseracT and Cult of Luna as support. It was awesome and I was definitely surprised throughout the show in a good way.

Intronaut were the first band on the bill. Despite the fact that I've never listened to them outside their latest album Habitual Levitations, I thought they were great and I loved their use of laser lights on stage. It reminded me of a mini Rush laser light show ala The Body Electric on the P/G Tour. I also loved the prominent bass in the band's mix. Any band that has a loud or predominant bass (in this case, fretless bass) live or in studio automatically garners my attention/interest. However, I kinda wished they got more stage time than just a half hour. But with 4 acts on the bill, it's better than nothing. Will listen to more Intronaut in the future.

TesseracT was a pleasant surprise. Like with Intronaut, I only listened to their latest album Altered State which I enjoyed. What was the pleasant surprise was the fact that they came across as an incredible live band. They were on fire, especially their bassist...I don't know how else to describe it. Speaking of their bassist, he came down the stage and onto the support arc of the concert barricades right in front me during the first song, which was an awesome moment. He kinda looked like Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom but with Steven Wilson's barefoot tendencies...which I kinda find funny yet weird. Again, I wished they had a longer stage time cause I was enjoying it so much. I was impressed by the large turnout of TesseracT fans, I think they outweighed the Katatonia fans cause they all left after TesseracT's set ended. Definitely need to listen to more of them in the future.

Cult of Luna...well...I'm sorry for any Cult of Luna fans here, but for me personally, it wasn't as great as I thought it could have been. It got better near the end of their set, but it still wasn't doing anything for me, and it wasn't just me who felt this way. I felt this sense of the audience having less energy/enthusiasm than during the previous acts before them and after them as soon as the first song was played. Maybe somewhere down the road, I'll give them another chance and enjoy it, but for now, they're meh to me. Nothing else to say about them.

Katatonia had promised the fans that they would be playing songs they've rarely played live before or never before. They definitely kept their word as more than half of their 15 song set were songs that were rarely or never played live. And what a setlist it was! Their "new to live" songs ranged those off of Dead End Kings that haven't been played live yet like First Prayer to the song Quiet World, a forgotten song off of a rare and forgotten EP. Any one expecting a song from their black/doom metal days are mistaken. The encores consisted of the fan favorites and dare I say "hits" Ghost of the Sun, July and Forsaker in that order. For my first time seeing Katatonia as a headliner, it was a memorable and intimate show.

I blew all my money on Katatonia merch. I wanted to buy TesseracT and Intronaut's CDs, but since Katatonia's the priority band, it seems natural to get as much merch of them since they're my favorite of the 4 bands and also it's f**king expensive to buy their stuff online. Bought a hoodie, their Dethroned and Uncrowned CD, and a tour shirt which for once is white.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Peter Gabriel

Manchester Arena 25th October 2013.

I`ve only seen Peter Gabriel live once before in the early 80`s and its still up there with one of the best gigs I`ve ever seen .

So you can guess how up for it I was the other night .

I was not dissapointed .

Started off with the 2 girl members of the band doing 2 songs each of their own material , followed by the Warrington Language Signing Chour signing to a recorded Blood Of Eden . Very moving .

Then on came the god like Gabriel with the House lights still on and told us that we was having a three course meal .

The starter an Acoustic set , an electronic set and then the desert the entire So album .

The acoustic set was just three songs , the first was as Gabriel told us was a song in progress and it could go anywhere with just him at the piano and Tony Levin on Bass .

Then Talk To Me followed by the brillaint Shock The Monkey .

Next course was the Electronic set .

Family Snapshot and Digging the Dirt where just amazing versions and the whole set was brilliant with an fav of mine Family And The Fishing net.

Then the final set .

The So album .

Highlight for me was Mercy Street which Gabriel sang lying down .

Only songs for me that did`nt hit that 10 factor was Big Time , maybe the weakest song on the album and of course Dont Give Up .

Which he sang with the back up singer Jennie Abrahamson. ( I maybe a bit biased but not as good as Kate Bush )

Encore was The Tower that ate people and Biko .

Brilliant show and his voice and his showmanship is as good as that concert back in the 80`s and I just hope I get to see Gabriel just one more time .

Peter "Godlike" Gabriel willing

• Like 1

Saw the shoegaze legends My Bloody Valentine at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC on 11/12/2013; their 2nd of 2 nights in NYC and their last show of the US tour and the last of the MBV World Tour. Won't say much here cause there really isn't much to say about the concert other than that it was an amazing concert and to sound quite cheesy a "life-changing experience". Managed to get myself in the very front row directly behind the barricade which was an accomplishment. Wore earplugs (a rare occasion but necessary considering they are notorious for being loud to entice bleeding ears) for this show and was able to cut out half of the white noise. Kind of surprised to see that the holocaust section of You Made Me Realize lasted only 6 minutes; was hoping for it to last 15 minutes which is considered average. At the end of the show, the band and later on the stage crew gave out setlists, drumsticks and guitar picks to the audience since it's their last show of the year. I had the fortunate honor of getting what I'd like to guess is one of Belinda Butcher's guitar picks which in the shoegaze circles is estimated to cost $1 million in shoegaze dollars, but I'm keeping that thing forever in a safe place.

A friend at work had an extra ticket to eagles concert last night so I went. I left with a couple of thoughts. I guess I'm spoiled since I rarely see bands that don't have rabid fan bases that would rather piss their pants than miss a half a song going to bathroom. People were talking and getting up and down to get food and drinks almost constantly which I have not experienced before. Not sure why those people dropped this much money for the show if they weren't into it. I can see how eagles may not be for every one but don't see how they don't get more respect for talent and songwriting. They do a great job of reproducing what was on the album vocally and instrumentally. They did play 2 Walsh solo songs and a James gang song which was good to see. Life in the fast lane got the biggest response from the crowd the entire night which was refreshing. All in all it was a good experience and real trip down memory lane at times.
  • Like 1

A friend at work had an extra ticket to eagles concert last night so I went. I left with a couple of thoughts. I guess I'm spoiled since I rarely see bands that don't have rabid fan bases that would rather piss their pants than miss a half a song going to bathroom. People were talking and getting up and down to get food and drinks almost constantly which I have not experienced before. Not sure why those people dropped this much money for the show if they weren't into it. I can see how eagles may not be for every one but don't see how they don't get more respect for talent and songwriting. They do a great job of reproducing what was on the album vocally and instrumentally. They did play 2 Walsh solo songs and a James gang song which was good to see. Life in the fast lane got the biggest response from the crowd the entire night which was refreshing. All in all it was a good experience and real trip down memory lane at times.

Glad you had a good show. I'm not a big Eagles fan but they do get unfairly slagged. They're just one of those easy targets I guess. The production and songwriting skill of New Kid in Town has always been a fave, excellent work. And I actually did get to see a show once down here around late 90s(?). It was unfortunately raining through most of it :( They still got through the entire performance though.

Edited by Steevo

Coming home from the Fillmore Charlotte, where I saw Nonpoint, Fear Factory, and Megadeth. It was f***ing loud, and my ears are ringing.

Nonpoint opened and played 7 songs, including their most well known song, "Bullet with a name." I don't like this band, but they gave a great performance. The drummer and lead singer were working hard. They're from Ft. Lauderdale, so they're very diverse.

Then, Fear Factory, the band I went to see. Dino Cazares rocked, but the drummer wasn't working hard. They got the double bass drum, and I don't understand the contraption that makes them beat 100 mph, but it wasn't the drummer. It was a small kit and the drummer didn't do much. Burton C. Bell sounded great when yelling, but barely audible when singing. They played 8 songs, including 3 from my favorite album, "Demanufacture."

Megadeth kicked ass and Dave stole the show, again. It was mostly greatest hits,but they played "Kingmaker" of the new album, "Super Collider."

Can't wait to see the show again Saturday in Myrtle Beach

Black Star Riders

The Ritz. Manchester . 13 Dec 2013.

I been a long time Thin Lizzy fan and will always thought they were the ultimate live rock band when you had Phil on stage and getting the crowd up for the gigs , y`know not that cliche crap and over the years after Phil`s death Thin Lizzy became a distant memory until John Sykes formed Thin Lizzy again in the late 90`s .

How can you have Thin Lizzy without Lynott ?

I did`nt go to see them and I would`nt even think it would be even close to the energy and brilliance Phil had on stage .

So then May 2013 and the members of the latest line up change their name and release an album .

And what an album !

So I get a ticket just going with an open mind and just know that towards the end of the night they will do Lizzy songs and it would be ok .

Hell, some bands today cover songs like they are going out of fashion (?)

Anyway .

The band kicked off with the title track of the new album All Hell Breaks Loose .

Great opener and a great song and the straight into a Lizzy song Are You Ready .

That was it I was threw out all that cynical stuff in my head and the gig just got better and better .

They did a song from the Black Star album folllowed by a Lizzy tune .

Bad Reputaion ! and they had to play my fave Lizzy song Emerald !

The audience was up for it all night , none of that do I have to clap attitude .

They finished with The Boy`s Are Back In Town .

Encore was a briliant Whiskey In the Jar and then the live classic Rosalie .

I got to say this gig was an absolute brilliant night and all the doubt`s of the band being a tribute band were forgotten .

This band would get away with their own material , no problem .

I did di get a lump in the throat when Ricky mentioned that Phil was still on the trail during The Cowboy song

But why not celebrate the wonderful legacy that Phil Lynott left behind and keep the Lizzy flag flying high .

This band are

The Black Star Riders .

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x117/coxy2112/My%20Photos/9d7d3949-2d6d-4657-855d-06202ab3c9f2_zps4bc1b238.jpg

• Like 1

What no gigs reviewed since December - is Rock 'n' Roll dead?

Not after last night's Stiff Little Fingers gig in Newcastle on the 'No Going Back' tour. What a show from start to finish. All the favourites and 3 new songs to boot. So much energy from the crowd and the band. Highlights? Probably Johnny Was and Tin Soldiers.

Roll on the new album.

What no gigs reviewed since December - is Rock 'n' Roll dead?

Not after last night's Stiff Little Fingers gig in Newcastle on the 'No Going Back' tour. What a show from start to finish. All the favourites and 3 new songs to boot. So much energy from the crowd and the band. Highlights? Probably Johnny Was and Tin Soldiers.

Roll on the new album.

I ain't seen anyone since October 1st. Wait 2 weeks and you'll get something from me

I saw The Neighbourhood on the 10th and it was a pretty good show. Honestly I had high hopes for this concert and the opening two groups were somewhat disappointing to say the least. The Neighbourhood as a headliner were good even though their set was really short, the whole show was less than two hours! The shortest concert I've ever been to. The audience was about 80% female and the crowd was very rowdy and I was expecting this to be one of the calmest shows of the year. Unfortunately my girlfriend was sick that day so it was upsetting to see her not enjoying the show. They played their big hits as well as a new song or two and those were well executed live. I'd see them again, but hopefully with better opening bands. The only real upset was that they sold out of all Medium shirts so I couldn't get a good souvenir from the show. I guess I'll order one online or something. Edited by default236

This was definitely one of those "Dream come true" kinds of shows for me. Growing up, I always remember hearing Simon and Garfunkel, or Paul Simon tunes on the radio, or the stereo. I was a Police fan in the late 70's and early 80's, but remember going to see Sting's Bring On the Night movie in the theater, and falling in love with his solo music. I was also a Frank Zappa fan, and first heard of Sting's drummer, Vinnie Colaiuta, back in the late 70's, and becoming a huge fan. Over the years, I've always seemed to be out of town for the Paul Simon shows, the Sting concert was cancelled for some reason in 1992 in Hershey, and I had to miss Sting's show several years back because I was stuck out of town. But I DID get to see the Police when they played here.

As far as the music, you can't GET more talented musicians on the same stage at the same time! Everyone in both bands was just off the charts as far as talent, and the music coming off of that stage was some of the best I've ever heard live, and I've been to a LOT of concerts over the years. The format of the show was great since there was no intermission, and they just kept rolling along. Sting and Paul did some songs, then Sting did a set, Paul came out and did a song with Sting, then Paul did a set, and so forth, climaxing with the both of them performing the encore. There was no break in hit's, either! Obviously, both artists couldn't play EVERY one of their hit songs, but they stuffed a lot into a short period of time... the three hours seemed like 20 minutes, it was so good!

Talk about a great night of music!!!

I'd been waiting to see my first Dream Theater show for two years and they TOTALLY exceeded my expectations. Saw them yesterday in NYC. I'd say out of all the concerts I've seen, the DT show is now probably one of my top 5 best concerts I've seen period.

Got to the venue around 4:30 and was surprised but not surprised by the decent amount of fans waiting in line. Met a bunch of nice people in line and we were talking about music we like in general. Was very awesome of them to give recommendations of albums/bands I don't listen to or haven't really listened to much (Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, etc.).

Anyways, the show itself was probably the quickest 3 hours of my life. The crowd was definitely the most energetic, passionate, and loudest I've been part of. It had "SO ENERGY POWAH!". Never expected to enjoy the crowd singing along to every song and loudly. The set itself now that I've watched it in person flowed extremely well, especially from the second set onwards. A surprise for me was On The Backs of Angels which was an okay song to me, but live it was WAY better and I think the crowd attributed to that. Trial of Tears, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Space Dye Vest, Illumination Theory and Strange Déjà Vu were my favorite songs that night. Strange Déjà Vu (and also Overture 1928) because it was the song that instantly made me become a fan.

Several funny moments occurred at the show. The first one being the hilarious intermission video with all the compilation of Dream Theater parody videos (Adam02's YouTube parodies made it onto the compilation!), covers, and of course the infamous John Petrucci/James Labrie blooper laughing reel. During Lie, James forgot a line to which he then said "I f***ed up!" and then when introducing Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, he made a brief mention of Jordan's brief time with the band 20 years ago and then proceeded to make fun of him for not joining the band at the time. Finally during Dancing Of Eternity, me and a couple of fans who I befriended in the line danced stupidly during Jordan's piano bit.

Overall, the show had laughs, a bunch of epic moments, and most importantly the band enjoyed being on stage and feeling the energy of the Manhattan crowd. Can't wait for the next time they come to NYC.

• Like 4

I'd been waiting to see my first Dream Theater show for two years and they TOTALLY exceeded my expectations. Saw them yesterday in NYC. I'd say out of all the concerts I've seen, the DT show is now probably one of my top 5 best concerts I've seen period.

Got to the venue around 4:30 and was surprised but not surprised by the decent amount of fans waiting in line. Met a bunch of nice people in line and we were talking about music we like in general. Was very awesome of them to give recommendations of albums/bands I don't listen to or haven't really listened to much (Dillinger Escape Plan, Between the Buried and Me, etc.).

Anyways, the show itself was probably the quickest 3 hours of my life. The crowd was definitely the most energetic, passionate, and loudest I've been part of. It had "SO ENERGY POWAH!". Never expected to enjoy the crowd singing along to every song and loudly. The set itself now that I've watched it in person flowed extremely well, especially from the second set onwards. A surprise for me was On The Backs of Angels which was an okay song to me, but live it was WAY better and I think the crowd attributed to that. Trial of Tears, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Space Dye Vest, Illumination Theory and Strange Déjà Vu were my favorite songs that night. Strange Déjà Vu (and also Overture 1928) because it was the song that instantly made me become a fan.

Several funny moments occurred at the show. The first one being the hilarious intermission video with all the compilation of Dream Theater parody videos (Adam02's YouTube parodies made it onto the compilation!), covers, and of course the infamous John Petrucci/James Labrie blooper laughing reel. During Lie, James forgot a line to which he then said "I f***ed up!" and then when introducing Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, he made a brief mention of Jordan's brief time with the band 20 years ago and then proceeded to make fun of him for not joining the band at the time. Finally during Dancing Of Eternity, me and a couple of fans who I befriended in the line danced stupidly during Jordan's piano bit.

Overall, the show had laughs, a bunch of epic moments, and most importantly the band enjoyed being on stage and feeling the energy of the Manhattan crowd. Can't wait for the next time they come to NYC.

Wow, sounded like you had a great show, Trial of Tears is amazing.

I'm reading what other people are saying on the DT Forums who went to the same show as me, and they also said that it was the most energetic crowd they've seen at any North American shows.

• Like 1

I'm reading what other people are saying on the DT Forums who went to the same show as me, and they also said that it was the most energetic crowd they've seen at any North American shows.

Over the course of the last few tours the crowds reaction to Dream Theater has been getting better and better. Not that the crowds were ever bad or anything but it seems as the years go by the fans are more and more appreciative of them. I think the fact that they always come out with a new album that is either good or great without fail every two years has helped them gain the fans respect even more. It's hard for most bands to consistently release good new material and tour like they have for so long. They don't rely on hit songs either to get the fans to come out, so you know you're getting an audience of mostly diehards who know everything when you go to see them. Over the last few tours they've also become a better live band and when a band is on fire when they play live, the crowd feeds off that big time to.

Saw Black Sabbath last night .... Oh boy !!! Fantastic show in every way... Ozzy was ON and Iommi's guitar playing was amazing... Laser light show from the 70's was the icing on the cake. Best drum solo I've seen and heard in years...

See Black Sabbath !!!!

• Like 1

GHOST KICKED ASS!!!!! Holy CRAP!!!!!

The show sold out, venue fit 1400 people. We were extremely close to the stage :)

Hubby & I headbanged non.stop. A very interactive show, it was great! The crowd was really into it!

The merch table had autographed LPs for 30 bucks- we absolutely bought one ;)

I got slightly tipsy on a couple vodka and cokes, but goddamn!!! 4 drinks total cost us 48 FREAKING dollars 0_o

The music was flawless, Papa Emeritus totally made eye contact with me a few times, and the crowd was awesome and incredibly nice. Had a blast!! My ears are ringing, it's 3 AM and I am beyond exhausted lol.

• Like 2

Blackfield was awesome tonight! Too bad it'll be the first and only time I'll ever see them with Steven Wilson in the band. John Wesley opening for them was great as well.

The set consisted of mostly songs off of Blackfields I and II with a few from Welcome to My DNA and IV. I never heard most of IV but the songs they played were great live. Jordan Rudess came out to play the keyboards during the last song of the night Cloudy Now. There was a special shirt that commemorated tonight's show but they sold out of my size (I went to the merch after the show, but I saved $30 at least) so I just bought the CD/DVD-A of IV.

I saw the legendary Canadian icon, Gordon Lightfoot, tonight. As a Canadian, I grew up loving Gordon's music and decided to see him before he retires from touring. He's 75 years old now. He started out by saying rumours of his death were greatly exaggerated, to many laughs and cheers. He is showing his age, and at one point, pulled out an inhaler to take a hit. However, he performed some of his most memorable hits - Beautiful, Carefree Highway, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Canadian Railroad Trilogy, Sundown, and If You Could Read my Mind amongst others.... Hearing those songs, even at the reduced singing capacity he now performs at, were worth it to me.

A word of warning to anyone who may see him on this tour - brace yourself... Old man time has caught up with Gordon and he's not the youthful performer he once was. Give him credit for still giving it a go - as he kept joking tonight, he's grateful for the work.

Edited by RushCanuck

Saw Mastodon with Gojira and Kvelertak tonight and they all were amazing! First time seeing all three as well. Unintentionally, I got myself into a huge pit during Gojira's set and by the end of it, somehow I managed to find myself at the front of the barrier for the rest of the night. I wished that Gojira's set was a bit longer to be honest. (40 minutes is a bit short when you're the second to last band on the bill to be honest). Mastodon played a nice a set off of every album including the upcoming one. To top it all off, I got a guitar pick from Bill of Mastodon!

I think starting with the next concert I attend, I'll wear earplugs. The temporary ringing in the ears didn't bother me before, but I've been going to more concerts than usual, and after the last two shows, the ringing has been lasting a bit longer and it's only starting bothering me. There were a good amount of fans next to me tonight with earplugs on so I took that as a sign that the show was gonna be pretty loud and considering the venue was known for having shit sound, it only made the loudness worse.

Peter Murphy at The Belly Up in San Diego last night. Unbelievably his voice gets stronger as he gets older. He was perfect. One of the reasons his music stays relevant is he surrounds himself with young talent. His band was all in their 20's and full of energy. Highlights were "Strange Kind of Love" / "Hang Up" / "Lion" and of course "Silent Hedges"

The opening band was great - Ringo Death Star, a mix between Smashing Pumpkins and a little Pixies thrown in.

Edited by alphseeker

NIN/Soundgarden August 7, 2014, Charlotte, NC Corporate named ampitheater:

Show wasn't sold out. I bought tickets during the presale, back in March, and there were only 4 other people on my entire row. Ticketmaster sucks. There were half filled rows for at least 15 rows in front of me.

Midweek show in Charlotte, so, of course, crowd is late arriving. My wife wouldn't go, and I literally couldn't give the ticket away. It was very hot today.

Dillinger Escape Plan started the show with a set of 6 songs. They were very heavy, and what is called "mathcore" a portmanteau of math rock and hard core. Too bad there was only a few thousand on hand to see these guys.

Next up was Soundgarden. Guitarist for Soundgarden was awesome, as was drummer. I heard Chris Connell was having trouble with his voice, but he sounded good tonight. He missed a couple of notes on "Black Hole Sun," but was great, the whole show. They played a lot of hits, mostly from "Superunknown" including the title track. Songs included "Spoonman," "Jesus Christ Pose," "Rusty Cage," "The Day I Tried To Live," all of which kicked ass.

Then, NIN stole the show. Their light show was awesome and Trent Reznor's energy was incredible, as was the rest of the band. The bass was loud, the vocals clear, the music was loud, clear, and precise. They played a lot of hits, mixed with a few new hits. "Closer," "Wish," "Only," "Eraser," "Copy of A," "Sanctified," "March Of The Pigs," "Piggy," "Head Like A Hole," and "Haunted," all made the set, with "Hurt" as the encore.

Alice Cooper and Motley Crue at Atlantic City , October 24, 2014

My first time seeing both bands and was not disappointed. I had VIP standing ( all tickets were standing ).

Alice Cooper played all of his hits and his band was tight. Bravo Alice... Loved the show.

Motley Crue... Loud, flames and many girls swinging their blond hair.

Would I go see either band again... absolutely

watch to the end of this video... shows how close I was.

flames explosions

• Like 2

Steve Hackett's show at the Scottish Rite last night was amazing! Well worth the many hours spent driving this weekend. Great songs, nothing but really good renditions of classics. The very well-performed Supper's Ready that also had especially cool lighting was definitely the best part of the show. Also, Steve Hackett was pretty fun and cool between songs. The only bad part was that some guys a few rows in front of me got in a little fight in the middle of Dancing With The Moonlit Knight. Edited by NaturalHemisphereGarden
  • Like 1