Concert Reviews

Disco

QUOTE (adace1 @ Sep 9 2012, 07:40 PM)
I didn't keep good track of the time throughout, but I believe Katatonia came on around 8:50 and Devin finished around 11:45 so that's about 3 hours.

Thanks. I'm assuming that all the shows start at the same time (6 pm) so I'll be out by midnight. If I go I may skip the first 2 bands. 6 hours straight through seems like overkill.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 9 2012, 04:44 PM)
I didn't keep good track of the time throughout, but I believe Katatonia came on around 8:50 and Devin finished around 11:45 so that's about 3 hours.

Thanks. I'm assuming that all the shows start at the same time (6 pm) so I'll be out by midnight. If I go I may skip the first 2 bands. 6 hours straight through seems like overkill.

Doors opened at 7 for me, first band came on around 8:10, encore was over at 12:10. I'd highly suggest seeing the first band though 1022.gif

QUOTE (t2s @ Sep 9 2012, 08:22 PM)

Doors opened at 7 for me, first band came on around 8:10, encore was over at 12:10. I'd highly suggest seeing the first band though 1022.gif

Just got to convince my parents to let me go.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Sep 9 2012, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (t2s @ Sep 9 2012, 08:22 PM)

Just got to convince my parents to let me go.

Fight them

Saw Devin Townsend, Katatonia, Stolen Babies, and Paradise Lost last night. Great show! Stolen Babies were excellent. I wasn't too familiar with their music since I just got their new album the other day but they played a great 30 minute set. Unfortunately the sound was pretty bad. The 2 drummers/percussionists were way too loud and drowned out the singer/accordionist most of the time, especially during the heavier moments. Paradise Lost was the second opener and I hadn't heard a note of their music before the show so I went in with zero expectations. They were also good but not nearly as good as Stolen Babies. Not much to say about them other than I enjoyed their 30 minute set.

Devin Townsend was the first headliner and he was f***ing awesome! 1022.gif I was right up front and practically center stage, so I had a perfect view. His set was extremely intense and the hour flew by. The Epicloud songs sounded great live. Lucky Animals was fun and its much better live than on the album. Grace was fantastic as well. My favorite was the opener Supercrush!. Devin's voice was great on that song and he covered Anneke Van Giersbergen's vocals perfectly. I only wish he had longer to play.

Katatonia were the last band and they were pretty underwhelming. I like their albums but their songs are a bit samey and I didn't really enjoy their set all that much. I did enjoy The Racing Heart and Dead Letters. I had to leave during the encore to catch a train so I missed Forsaker which is one song that I would have liked to have heard. The crowd was really into them though.

All in all it was a fantastic show. I need to see Devin live again, but playing a regular headlining show.

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

I saw Roger Waters The Wall Live back in June, and that was the best visual concert I have ever been to! I also saw Van Halen in march, and Eddie BLEW THE ROOF OFF THE PLACE!!!!! he was amazing! David was out of tune though. Then I saw Motley Crue and KISS in september and that was so loud! but SO MUCH FUN!!!

but... RUSH IS THE BEST BAND EVER!!!! THEY ALWAYS WILL BE!!!!!!!!!!!! 2.gif

Just came back from Jethro Tull doing TAAB2. My god almost 60 and runs around leaping bounding and plays the flute AND guitar and sings like he's still 30! Ends the show with an old JT standard...but inbetween Thick as a brick in it's entirety makes TAAB2 seems like familiar material, enough so you're head's bobbing to the beat and you're sucked into the atmosphere Ian Anderson and company create!

I saw the legendary black metal band Enslaved for free at the Roxy in LA. It was a special show put on by the label Scion A/V for their 20th anniversary. The opening bands were Astra, Earthless, and White Hills. They were all pretty decent and definitely had their moments, but I got a little restless waiting through them to see Enslaved. By the time they came on they only had an hour to play, but they managed to bust out some awesome tunes like Roots of the Mountain, Ethica Odini and a spectacular cover of Immigrant Song by Led Zep. The whole band put on a top notch performance and it was a privilege and an absolute pleasure to see one of the best black metal bands of all time!

Went to see The Moody Blues earlier tonight. I didn't get to see the whole thing due to family being alone back home, but what I saw and heard was amazing! Justin and John's voices have not deteriorated at all over time. It was so good in fact that I was worried a little bit that they were lip-syncing until they got to the third track :D. They played from a variety of their albums, from the 80's stuff back to their original first album songs. My favorites were "Other Side of Life" and "Steppin' In A Slide Zone". They surprised me a bit by playing some lesser known songs, like "Gypsy (of a strange and distant time)", "Peak Hour", and, in particular, "Higher and Higher". It was a fantastic show.

I have only two complaints. First, their drummer, Graeme Edge, is rather pointless to have on stage. They have a touring drummer with them that plays almost everything, and could do everything if it weren't for the fact they want Edge to do something. He basically "drum-synced". Secondly, there were spotlights on the three original Moody Blues members the entire damn time. I get it after the first song, they're original members. You don't have to have the spotlights on them the whole time.

First off, let me say I love how my wife plans things. Asks me this afternoon "Hey wanna go see The Moody Blues" I say sure when and where. Tonight EJ Thomas Hall Akron U. NO SHIT can you swing tix? And she kept asking if I'm ok with seeing these guys.....they just kicked major ass like they have for the last 45 years

and sorry but I beg to differ with the Walrus. Spot on for his entire post minus the pans. The spots weren't on the three orig members throughout, and Graeme is there not only because he's earned it, he is DAMN FUNNY mentioning how much of an old fart he is AT SEVENTY ONE! We just came back from the show in Akron and the whole set just blew everyone away. Our seats 6th row slightly stage right. That kick ass drummer kept locking eyes on me with my NJ Devils ballcap on, head bobbing and keeping up with his beat throughout! Loved his flute playing duet with the "siren" main flautist. Just enough FX minimal light show and kick ass music from when we were young. I hope everyone who can, goes and sees them and have your ass blown away. Triple your money's worth!

http://img1.imagehousing.com/44/3b6349e702aef8cdedb60f7101402632.jpg

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

First off, let me say I love how my wife plans things. Asks me this afternoon "Hey wanna go see The Moody Blues" I say sure when and where. Tonight EJ Thomas Hall Akron U. NO SHIT can you swing tix? And she kept asking if I'm ok with seeing these guys.....they just kicked major ass like they have for the last 45 years

and sorry but I beg to differ with the Walrus. Spot on for his entire post minus the pans. The spots weren't on the three orig members throughout, and Graeme is there not only because he's earned it, he is DAMN FUNNY mentioning how much of an old fart he is AT SEVENTY ONE! We just came back from the show in Akron and the whole set just blew everyone away. Our seats 6th row slightly stage right. That kick ass drummer kept locking eyes on me with my NJ Devils ballcap on, head bobbing and keeping up with his beat throughout! Loved his flute playing duet with the "siren" main flautist. Just enough FX minimal light show and kick ass music from when we were young. I hope everyone who can, goes and sees them and have your ass blown away. Triple your money's worth!

http://img1.imagehousing.com/44/3b6349e702aef8cdedb60f7101402632.jpg

I do suppose your right about Greame. Looking back, I've heard stuff live when he was still in shape to do it, he was really damn good. And I love his poems. And he was really funny. Did he use the joke about his hair, teeth, and the peace sign in your concert?

As for the spotlights, I guess it varies show to show. At the Baltimore show, they were on the whole time and on the members. I wish I didn't have to leave the show early, for there were still great songs to hear. Could you tell me what they did after "Higher and Higher"?

Ahhh knights in white satin...ended with ride my seesaw. only issue I had with EJ Thomas hall is, there's no center aisle or easy way to get to the door to use the men's room! LOL So I ran out (so to speak) came back and they were into yet another song I was waiting for..Question (Why do we never get an answer...) . I came back in just in time for the BAM BAM BAMBAMBAM part, I hammered the wall to it, turned to look and Justin Hayward actually cracked a smile at me, and went back to checking out the dancing 50ish blonde in front of him LOL. They also did I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll band,,, I'm leaving a few others out I know. Truly awesome. I wish you could've stayed. And yeah Graeme DID use the brown teeth white hair joke for us too. Trouble is so many of us RELATE to that now :laughing guy: Edited by BeOhBe Bob

Zappa Plays Zappa in Covington KY (Madions Theater) last night.

Awesome show! :haz:

They completely rocked the house. I stood down front in the little standing area... so I got a bit tired as the show went on, but I had a great time. The first few songs were my favorite, which I think were Hungry Freaks, Daddy and Teenage Prostitute. Dweezil kicked butt on the guitar!

I didn't know any songs (the only Zappa I own is Absolutely Free, Uncle Meat, and Hot Rats) but I didn't let that ruin the show! I'm just sad they didn't play Willie the Pimp :P

Will definitely be exploring some more Zappa in the near future! :haz:

Went and saw Jackson Browne semi-acoustic last night. Not bad actually and my cousin bought the ticket so it was free too (always the best price LOL). His voice is still VERY good and he'll be 65 this year. Edited by driventotheedge

Back in 1993, Aimee Mann WAS my girlfriend. Well not really, but in a parallel universe, she was. In my loveless, lovelorn early '20's I was always searching for a girl like the girl on the cover of Whatever, Aimee's debut cd. Somewhat kooky, ineffably cool, 2 things I wasn't, little wonder I was f*cked from the start.

Confession time: I was an Aimee fan long before I was a Rush fan. Got into Rush around 97/98. So now you know.

I'd deftly managed to miss Aimee's last 3 Irish shows, mainly down to pregnancy(not mine), death(not mine) & illness(mine).

Eventually, thanks to the lack of new babies, no dead relatives and being of robust health I got to see Aimee in concert on a freezing January Dublin night. Suitably warmed by Mr. Jameson, I took my seat in the wonderfully named Bord Gais Energy Theatre. Bord Gais is Irish for Gas Board, the Irish language was made up by drunk illiterate pygmies, I swear.

It was the last night of her tour, and she and the band were in top form. She played bass for the support act, Ted Leo, for a couple of songs. She swore and laughed a lot. And she gently ribbed Phil Collins for robbing her of the Grammy and the Oscar. And she took requests!!! The setlist comprised of a lot of cuts from Charmer, her new album, plenty of deep cuts from her back catalogue and a few staples, like Red Vines, 4th of July & Save Me. I prayed she would play my favourite track, Deathly. And, as the fabulous encore drew a close, out came Deathly, rocked up and smoking. Prior to that she played Honesty Is no Excuse, the second track on Thin Lizzy's debut. She went to see Phil's statue earlier on in the day, where she was quite bemused by hailstones, "In LA where I live, we get fog". The track on the debut is quite a plaintive one, with a lovely solo by Eric Bell but Aimee's band and Ted Leo gave it socks, and turned it into a twin guitar wig out that Robbo & Gorham would have been proud of.

2 hours just flew by. My girl was gone, so it was back to Mr. Jameson and a phone call to the wife.

I just saw the who play at copp's coliseum, in Hamilton, they were amazing did not expect that type of show, they played all of Quadrophenia and had a opening act called vintage trouble, they played soul and rock they were pretty good . I did not think they had in them, They had 10 muscians on stage including ringo star son, on drums. They took no breaks and played right thru., They played 6 songs in the enchore, It rocked, I was really suprised it was 99% sold out. :notworthy: :D-13:
  • Like 2

I'm not good at reviewing shows but I'll give it a try.

I saw Buddy Guy perform at my university last night. It was much better than his performance at CMAC in 2011. Probably because I had better seats :D and was more familiar with his music. His opening act, Jonny Lang was pretty good at first, but then descended into slow songs about heaven. He looked like Jimmy Page trying to break through a Christian Rock artist but ultimately giving up halfway through his performance.

Then came the blues god, Buddy. He opened his set with a ripping version of "Damn Right, I've Got The Blues". He then played a cover of "Hoochie Coochie Man" (all while mocking the audience for not knowing the lyrics), then burst into a long version of "Drowning on Dry Land" by Albert King. As he played this song, he slowly walked off stage and wandered through the audience soloing and singing to random women. He stopped the row behind me and sang right in front of me for 2 minutes. He then found a kid in the audience and asked him to come up (he was planted but it was convincing) and had him play with him a little bit. After a few songs, Buddy tells the 11 year old to stop hogging the stage and let him show his stuff. He finished the night with an amazing instrumental of "Sunshine of Your Love" where he pulled all of his tricks, playing his guitar behind is back, with his back, his teeth, between his legs, and finishing by soloing by slapping a rag on the guitar. I was spellbound by this performance, simple for him or not, he is an amazing showman who still has incredible skill and energy for someone 76 years young. At the end of the show he was throwing picks into the audience, I waltzed on up and reached out not to beg for a pick, but to shake his hand. He looked at me and handed me his last pick before leaving the stage.

It was a great show and I definitely got my money's worth :) . Though Jonny Lang wasn't great, Buddy kicked enough ass to make it worth it alone.

Went to see the best new three piece in the world last night at Think Tank - The Virginmarys. Blew the roof off the place. I used to think Patrick from the Black Keys was the hardest working drummer, but the bairn in 'the Marys' is phenomenal.

Met them after the show and they were very down to earth if a little knackered.

Best shows I have been to: Alice Cooper (that was effin' SICK), STYX (Yes I love them and they put on a hell of a concert), Cheap Trick (seen them 7 times, I lvoe them to pieces) and Chicago. Though I wish Terry Kath was still alive. =P

Best shows I have been to: Alice Cooper (that was effin' SICK), STYX (Yes I love them and they put on a hell of a concert), Cheap Trick (seen them 7 times, I lvoe them to pieces) and Chicago. Though I wish Terry Kath was still alive. =P

I've seen all of those , though Chicago was way back in '82. I been wanting to see Cheap Trick again.. haven't seen them since '97.

Styx is awesome live :yes:

On a whim and one days' notice, I took my oldest daughter to see Muse at the United Center in Chicago on Monday. It was a phenomenal show.. by far the best live band I've ever seen other than Rush. The lighting and audio was significantly superior to Rush's old school audio/lighting. It was a spectacular performance. Even some of the older songs with which I am not familiar were fantastic. It was a mix of Queen, Bowie, U2 and Metallica. I cannot recommend this band more highly. They've been around for over 15 years, and I've never even heard of them before a couple of years ago.

Alice Cooper is amazing live.