Deep Purple's best album is...

ReRushed

And I'll raise this beef with both the Mk II and Mk III versions of the band: I don't care for the overindulgent live material. Sadly, Blackmore continued that when he formed Rainbow. Two disc live albums with 4 songs? No thanks.

it goes both ways with me. sometimes the jam goes somewhere, sometimes the jam doesn't. made in japan works for me, on stage sounds like they're trying to recreate made in japan and it doesn't really work.

• Like 2

but man I'll say this - the version of kill the king from on stage is perfect

Rainbow "On Stage" it's too short and suffers mainly of Stargazer omission (a real crime!)

You should check the 1976 German dates and Munich 1977 relesead some years ago.

Munich 1977 is also available in DVD and it remains one of my top five music homevideo.

Rainbow with Dio on vocals have nothing to envy to any Deep Purple line up IMO; it's where Ritchie reaches his zenith.

• Like 1

Rainbow "On Stage" it's too short and suffers mainly of Stargazer omission (a real crime!)

On Stage never had much allure for me for this very reason. Stargazer is the best thing Rainbow did, IMO.

• Like 1

but man I'll say this - the version of kill the king from on stage is perfect

You should check the 1976 German dates and Munich 1977 relesead some years ago.

Munich 1977 is also available in DVD and it remains one of my top five music homevideo.

Rainbow with Dio on vocals have nothing to envy to any Deep Purple line up IMO; it's where Ritchie reaches his zenith.

Lots of people hate On Stage, which was kind of rush released because of all the bootlegging of their shows. I enjoy it because I love Rainbow (all eras, really) but the Germany sets have the same problem. I don't need a 20 minute Little Wing, errr, Catch the Rainbow.

And I'll raise this beef with both the Mk II and Mk III versions of the band: I don't care for the overindulgent live material. Sadly, Blackmore continued that when he formed Rainbow. Two disc live albums with 4 songs? No thanks.

it goes both ways with me. sometimes the jam goes somewhere, sometimes the jam doesn't. made in japan works for me, on stage sounds like they're trying to recreate made in japan and it doesn't really work.

I'm not really a fan. I can deal with them when I'm in the mood to listen to a band's live stuff. But given the choice, I'd prefer a couple more songs rather than listening to, for example, Blackmore noodle on his guitar for 7 minutes.

Been giving Deep Purple a lot more attention lately, and had to revise my top 5.

1. Burn will never leave this spot

2. In Rock TUTTI FRUTTI WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3. Come Taste The Band

4. Machine Head

5. Perfect Strangers

Honorable mention: Purpendicular. Morse is incredibly underrated and is a far better band member than Blackmore.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, just watch this documentary on Big Star. It's a great commentary on the early to mid seventies music critic mindset . Bands like Zeppelin and Purple really weren't very well liked by the critics then. And it's carried on for 40 years appearently.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2290151/

I just wTched it recently. And one of the reasons for Big Star not hitting big was the climate of " loud" arena type bands ( i.e deep purple) .. So critics f***in just hated them for that

Edited by Xanadoood

In all seriousness, just watch this documentary on Big Star. It's a great commentary on the early to mid seventies music critic mindset . Bands like Zeppelin and Purple really weren't very well liked by the critics then. And it's carried on for 40 years appearently.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2290151/

I just wTched it recently. And one of the reasons for Big Star not hitting big was the climate of " loud" arena type bands ( i.e deep purple) .. So critics f***in just hated them for that

I love Big Star and Deep Purple. Both bands are friggin' great.

Machine Head is my favorite album of all time! In Rock is a wicked record too!

No votes for Book of Taliesyn? ;)

No, it's not my favorite DP album, but I love the first 3 albums with Rod Evans.

Also, I might be the only person who holds the unpopular opinion that House of Blue Light is better than its predecessor Perfect Strangers. Not more important or impactful, and there's nothing on HOBL better than Knocking At Your Back Door or Perfect Strangers, but it's a better album overall.

• Like 1