The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Segue, listen to the album Eternal Blue from Spiritbox. You should like it. It's a mix of aggressive metal and pop. They somehow make it work.

It's brilliant! An album that takes a few spins, a lot to take in!

• Like 1

i'm doing something LONG overdue. i've been giving my full focus to Alice Coooper. my fault for ignoring such a great artist. And he REALLY is shame on me.

i'm basically taking this a decade at a time.

i started at Love it to Death because the first two are really different i'll get to them later

my favs have been

Love it To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To my Nightmare

From the Inside.

i can't get over how varied he is.

Nightmare Reminds me of a dark Cabaret act. Love it and Killer are 2 great hard rock records. Goes to Hell is more funky and From the inside is very AOR Toto-ish.

So basically i'm righting a wrong in my life.

Mick

• Like 2

i'm doing something LONG overdue. i've been giving my full focus to Alice Coooper. my fault for ignoring such a great artist. And he REALLY is shame on me.

i started at Love it to Death because the first two are really different i'll get to them later

my favs have been

Love it To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To my Nightmare

From the Inside.

Nightmare Reminds me of a dark Cabaret act. Love it and Killer are 2 great hard rock records. Goes to Hell is more funky and From the inside is very AOR Toto-ish.

Mick

On of my all time favorite artists. Been a fan since his comeback in 1986 after he finally got sober. My older brothers friend, who to this day is still a massive Cooper fan, got me Constrictor on cassette for my 9th birthday and that's where my fandom took off. Those albums are among his best. From The Inside is underrated as hell. He is a much more versatile artist than his hits will ever have you believe. He did play it a bit safe in the mid 80s and early 90s by having the standard hair metal type of sound. But for the most part he's one of those songwriters that always tries to give you something different but still remaining one hundred percent Alice Cooper.

Edited by J2112YYZ

my favs have been

Love it To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To my Nightmare

From the Inside.

Mick

On of my all time favorite artists. Been a fan since his comeback in 1986 after he finally got sober. My older brothers friend, who to this day is still a massive Cooper fan, got me Constrictor on cassette for my 9th birthday and that's where my fandom took off. Those albums are among his best. From The Inside is underrated as hell. He is a much more versatile artist than his hits will ever have you believe. He did play it a bit safe in the mid 80s and early 90s by having the standard hair metal type of sound. But for the most part he's one of those songwriters that always tries to give you something different but still remaining one hundred percent Alice Cooper.

i feel like if i played a song like Blue Turk for the average Joe.....they'd go who da fukk????/ that's a smokey jazz club song.

He's incredible. i had heard the mid 80's goes a bit hair metal but there's more than enough pre-that for me to enjoy.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Segue, listen to the album Eternal Blue from Spiritbox. You should like it. It's a mix of aggressive metal and pop. They somehow make it work.

It's brilliant! An album that takes a few spins, a lot to take in!

Yep, they're different but still somehow very appealing. I have never heard a vocalist like Courtney LaPlante. She has a great melodic voice but can also pull off the screams just as good. They have an EP from a few years ago you should check out. It's a bit darker than Eternal Blue. They also have some non album singles like Blessed Be, Rule Of Nines and Belcarra that are all really good.

my favs have been

Love it To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To my Nightmare

From the Inside.

Mick

i feel like if i played a song like Blue Turk for the average Joe.....they'd go who da fukk????/ that's a smokey jazz club song.

He's incredible. i had heard the mid 80's goes a bit hair metal but there's more than enough pre-that for me to enjoy.

Mick

I'm jumping ahead a bit here but you should check out 1994s The Last Temptation. Just a great rock album which was a bit of a transition period for Cooper. He had to move on from the hair metal sound and came out with an album that I would say was a bit more back to Cooper basics for him but it still has a lot of great songs. Two of them were co-written with Chris Cornell. He also does guest vocals on the song Stolen Prayer. Possibly Cooper's best ballad.

• Like 1

my favs have been

Love it To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To my Nightmare

From the Inside.

Mick

Mick

I'm jumping ahead a bit here but you should check out 1994s The Last Temptation. Just a great rock album which was a bit of a transition period for Cooper. He had to move on from the hair metal sound and came out with an album that I would say was a bit more back to Cooper basics for him but it still has a lot of great songs. Two of them were co-written with Chris Cornell. He also does guest vocals on the song Stolen Prayer. Possibly Cooper's best ballad.

The Last Temptation is great!

• Like 1

my favs have been

Love it To Death

Killer

Billion Dollar Babies

Welcome To my Nightmare

From the Inside.

Mick

Mick

The Last Temptation is great!

I'll put it up against any of his revered 70s classics. That's how good I think it is.

• Like 1

one thing i'd like to highlight i think alice is a really underrated vocalist.

you know why? he sings for what the song needs and i like that. he's not like a dio or sammy hagae who just love vocal gymnastics. Every song with Cooper is like a little short story and he sings just what the song needs.

i respect singers like that.

Mick

• Like 2

i'm playing Flush the Fashion. great little album by the way. Anyway i'm like this is giving me vague Queen vibes. i look it up......Roy Thomas Baker. good ears, lol

Mick

Very good ears! Most other projects I've heard Roy Thomas Baker take on don't remind me of Queen at all... in fact some of them I haven't really cared for the production! No doubt those first four Queen albums (and Jazz) are his main legacy.

• Like 1

i'm playing Flush the Fashion. great little album by the way. Anyway i'm like this is giving me vague Queen vibes. i look it up......Roy Thomas Baker. good ears, lol

Mick

Very good ears! Most other projects I've heard Roy Thomas Baker take on don't remind me of Queen at all... in fact some of them I haven't really cared for the production! No doubt those first four Queen albums (and Jazz) are his main legacy.

it was in the drum sound and the backing vocals. it screamed queen, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

You're entering Alice's blackout drunk era of his career. The three albums after this he doesn't even remember due to his drinking being so bad. In the case of the albums Special Forces and Zipper Catches Skin, it's for the best he can't recall doing them. Dada is pretty good even though it's obvious how out of it Alice is when you hear his voice.

Mick

You're entering Alice's blackout drunk era of his career. The three albums after this he doesn't even remember due to his drinking being so bad. In the case of the albums Special Forces and Zipper Catches Skin, it's for the best he can't recall doing them. Dada is pretty good even though it's obvious how out of it Alice is when you hear his voice.

i'm playing special Forces......uh........quite jarring. it's like Alice trying to be Devo. this is bonkers. i can't tell if it's bad or not. it's..........an album, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

it seems natural. i like Bruce more but Mellencamp is no slouch.

together? great great song.......loved it.

Mick

LOVE IT

It didn't knock my socks off, perhaps after another listen or two.

Listened to some samples from the new (!) Doobie Brothers' album. Didn't care for them. Should I listen to it anyway?

This second half of the year is honestly brilliant for me.

I've been blown away by new Trivium, Iron Maiden, The Killers Biffy Clyro and once more pleasantly entertained by the new Dream Theater (which for me is a notch below Distance Over Time).

Then we have new albums coming still from Mastodon (impressive singles), ABBA, Taylor Swift and Adele on the way. This year is covering so many bases for me across all genres and I really do think many older bands/artists have made the most of lockdowns to work on their craft.

I'm so excited for what's to come musically!

• Like 1

Some of my fav albums so far

Epica-Omega

Foo Fighters-Medicine At Midnight (this made me get into them.....LOVED this!!!!!)

Steve Lukather-I Found the Sun

Taylor Swift-Fearless (Taylor's Version)

Olivio Rodrigo-Sour

Styx-Crash of the Crown

John Mayer-Sob Rock (love this!!!)

Jackson Browne-Downhill from Everywhere

Night Ranger-ATBPO

Killers-Pressure Machine

Neal Morse Band-Innocence and Danger

Iron Maiden-Senjutsu (Fukk y'all!!!! lol)

Lindsey Buckingham-Self titled

Tremonti- Marching in Time (played it again deserves to be here)

Trivium-In the Court of the Dragon

Dream Theater-A View from the Top of the World

Banger year for me......with 2 more months left.

Mick

• Like 1

This second half of the year is honestly brilliant for me.

I've been blown away by new Trivium, Iron Maiden, The Killers Biffy Clyro and once more pleasantly entertained by the new Dream Theater (which for me is a notch below Distance Over Time).

Then we have new albums coming still from Mastodon (impressive singles), ABBA, Taylor Swift and Adele on the way. This year is covering so many bases for me across all genres and I really do think many older bands/artists have made the most of lockdowns to work on their craft.

I'm so excited for what's to come musically!

Totally! I picked a great year to start listening to more new releases, because so many artists were just holding back from last year... or just plain using the extra time to make more (e.g. The Killers, two albums in two years? I've only dreamed of living in this timeline).

Epica-Omega

Foo Fighters-Medicine At Midnight (this made me get into them.....LOVED this!!!!!)

Olivio Rodrigo-Sour

Styx-Crash of the Crown

Night Ranger-ATBPO

Killers-Pressure Machine

Mick

I cannot understand the negative reviews I saw for Medicine At Midnight. Is it their best? No, but it's a rocking good time that gets in and out without too much fussing around. Like, what more can you ask of Dave Grohl, invite Andrew WK and Jack Black to join next time? lol

He would too.

• Like 1

Epica-Omega

Olivio Rodrigo-Sour

Styx-Crash of the Crown

Night Ranger-ATBPO

Killers-Pressure Machine

Mick

I cannot understand the negative reviews I saw for Medicine At Midnight. Is it their best? No, but it's a rocking good time that gets in and out without too much fussing around. Like, what more can you ask of Dave Grohl, invite Andrew WK and Jack Black to join next time? lol

He would too.

i can you why i liked it......The foos felt like they had a nice little of slice of music they played. all good. but you knew what you were getting. Medicine felt like they were branching out a good amount. it's ok if you didn't like what they did......but i adored it. some of these songs were really damn funky and groovy.

sue me i loved it, lol

Mick

• Like 1