The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

there's a double CD called Maiden England from the 88 during the seventh Son tour. Bruce is having so much trouble on it. even though it's a great set list.

these rock singers when their young don't really take care of their instrument,

Mick

Some get lucky and keep their voices, some get smart and learn to take better care before it's too late...and some wind up like Robert Plant or Liam Gallagher, shot seemingly beyond repair within a decade of hitting it big.

and geddy lee. who.....screaming in the 70's did him in the long run.

Mick

I feel like it was pretty different for Ged though. He could still hit most of those notes (maybe not Cygnus X-1) well into the 90s when he wanted to, he just chose not to because he knew it would hurt his voice.

• Like 1

Today’s the right day to bump this thread so Mick and Segue can continue their eternal cupcake discussion!

Today’s the right day to bump this thread so Mick and Segue can continue their eternal cupcake discussion!

When I was younger Hostess cupcakes used to my breakfast every day. I would probably be dead by now if I continued down that path lol.

• Like 2

When I was younger Hostess cupcakes used to my breakfast every day. I would probably be dead by now if I continued down that path lol.

Have you ever had one of those Zebra cakes? I think they're Little Debbie's brand. I don't know how anyone can eat a whole one of those in one sitting.

• Like 1

They aren't as good as they used to be. Twinkies used to be delicious. Then they got real sugary.

My favorites were Drakes Cakes.

Have you ever had one of those Zebra cakes? I think they're Little Debbie's brand. I don't know how anyone can eat a whole one of those in one sitting.

Love Zebra cakes! They used to stock those at a vending machine where I worked. I would pretty much buy the whole row. How the hell I didn't become diabetic I will never know.

• Like 1

Love Zebra cakes! They used to stock those at a vending machine where I worked. I would pretty much buy the whole row. How the hell I didn't become diabetic I will never know.

I mean they taste fab! I just can't get through one without feeling sick, and I'm not one to go easy on sugar.

Zebra Cakes used to be my fav as a wee lad. I can't do them too often anymore my tastes have shifted slightly and it's a little too sweet now. but i'll enjoy them every now and then.

Mick

• Like 1

Segue, have you heard this band before?

I've seen them mentioned, they are touring with a band my friend loves (or something like that).

Well colour me impressed I enjoyed this, thank you!

And I take back all I ever said about Brave New World, in fact it's not only improved to me, it's actually made me listen to the whole reunion era in a new light!

Segue, have you heard this band before?

I've seen them mentioned, they are touring with a band my friend loves (or something like that).

Well colour me impressed I enjoyed this, thank you!

And I take back all I ever said about Brave New World, in fact it's not only improved to me, it's actually made me listen to the whole reunion era in a new light!

Spiritbox is touring with Limp Bizkit here next month. I don't understand that combo at all. I believe Spiritbox sees it as a big opportunity but I think Bizkit is just trying to piggyback off a band that is up and coming in hope that people might actually want to see them again.

Spiritbox's debut comes out in September. All they have so far is an EP and a bunch of singles. Really good stuff though and a very unique band. Courtney Laplante has an interesting voice too.

I really can't believe I never loved Lamb Of God like this before. I just always respected them but never truly loved them.
  • Like 1

I'm so not in a metal mood. like summer and metal never mixed with me. check back on me inf winter i might be playing lamb of God as well, lol

oddly me and prog are tight right now. been Loving Yes again and ELP. who'd have thought.

Also Jethro Tull......Not really prog but close in spots.

ick

• Like 1

I'm so not in a metal mood. like summer and metal never mixed with me. check back on me inf winter i might be playing lamb of God as well, lol

oddly me and prog are tight right now. been Loving Yes again and ELP. who'd have thought.

ick

I’d call all of them prog for sure. Except...have you heard This Was through Benefit from Tull yet? More like psychedelic rock of the time, some folk and some heavy rock, plus a healthy dose of jazz.

ick

I’d call all of them prog for sure. Except...have you heard This Was through Benefit from Tull yet? More like psychedelic rock of the time, some folk and some heavy rock, plus a healthy dose of jazz.

the first 2 tull albums aren't my thing.

BUT......Benefit sounds like a singer/songwriter album on acid.....i love it, lol

actually while i'm here my rankings of Tull through 79......i know them well by now it's been almost nothing but tull, lol

1. Thick As A Brick

2. Aqualung

3. Benefit.

4. Songs From The Wood

5. Minstrel In The Gallery

6. Heavy Horses

7. Stormwatch

8. War Child

9. A Passion Play

10. Too Old To Rock n Roll

11. This Was

12. Stand Up.

Haven't heart the 80's yet. people say it's got gems sprinkled about. but more spotty as well

Also i want to love APP but i can see why it flopped, lol.

Mick

• Like 2

ick

the first 2 tull albums aren't my thing.

BUT......Benefit sounds like a singer/songwriter album on acid.....i love it, lol

actually while i'm here my rankings of Tull through 79......i know them well by now it's been almost nothing but tull, lol

1. Thick As A Brick

2. Aqualung

3. Benefit.

4. Songs From The Wood

5. Minstrel In The Gallery

6. Heavy Horses

7. Stormwatch

8. War Child

9. A Passion Play

10. Too Old To Rock n Roll

11. This Was

12. Stand Up.

Haven't heart the 80's yet. people say it's got gems sprinkled about. but more spotty as well

Also i want to love APP but i can see why it flopped, lol.

Mick

I still haven't heard Stormwatch, and I haven't spent enough time with Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses to know where to rank them, but I can try to rank the others from that period:

1. Thick As A Brick

2. Aqualung

3. Minstrel In The Gallery

4. A Passion Play

5. Benefit

6. Stand Up

7. War Child

8. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die

9. This Was

• Like 1

Ok, so I have listened to the entirety of the Styx catalogue a lot lately.

Here is my ranking:

17. Kilroy Was Here

16. Man Of Miracles

15. Edge Of The Century

14. Serpent Is Rising

13. Brave New World

12. Paradise Theatre

11. Cyclorama

10. Crystal Ball

09. Equinox

08. Paradise Theater

07. Styx

06. Styx II

05. Cornerstone

04. Crash Of The Crown

03. The Mission

02. The Grand Illusion

01. Pieces Of Eight

Styx have firmly cemented themselves as one of my favourite bands of all time. Like Rush and Toto, they have been mainstays of the last decade for me, and whilst I have had my downs with them, every time I return to their discography, I discover a new appreciation for something I before didn't like.

• Like 1

Segue is damn hard on Kilroy. like Kilroy owns him money. and he wrote Paradise Theater twice, lol.

my rankings Worst to best

17. Edge of the Centuray

16. A Bigger Bang

15. Serpent is Rising

14. Styx

13. Man of Miracles

12. Brave New World

11. Cyclorama

10. Styx II

9. Paradise Theater

8. Pieces of Eight. (this would be higher but side one is literal dog shit)

7. Kilroy Was Here

6. Crystal Ball

5. The Crash of the Crown

4. the Mission

3. Equinox

2. Cornerstone

1. The Grand Illusion

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1