The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Maiden had a far far better late period....albeit needing of editing...then priest. BUT......honestly and some will disagree......ii like Firepower over ANY late Maien.

Mick

Firepower blows the last four Maiden albums away. I would also take Angel Of Retribution and Redeemer over those albums too. Priest gets to the point on those albums and doesn't turn it into an over bloated self love affair like Maiden has to do. Not everything needs to be this huge prog masterpiece in order to be good.

i love late period Madien i do. but i have to mentally prepare myself each time for an hour plus of.....Slow Beginning......verse Chorus, verse Chorus, guitar solo, repeat chorus, bigger guitar solo, Chorus Chorus, Chorus.........slow end.....wind effect. Exhausting just reading that right? lol.

Firepower.....i'd take over any later Maiden.

Mick

I don't mind that format but somebody needs to tell them that one song per album like that is good enough.

and they played in full A Matter of life and Death live........holy.......HELL, lol

i'd have taken a bathroom break honestly.

Mick

I didn't see them on that tour. They were in a period around that time where they weren't touring north America extensively and only hitting the main markets during this album cycle. They did the same when touring for Dance Of Death and Final Frontier too. I know a lot of people were pissed when they did the whole album live though. Even people who liked the album were like what the f**k is that?

I don't mind if a band wants to play a whole new album live. But you got to sprinkle in the classics every three or four songs to keep their attention. I remember when reading reviews for that tour and people kept saying that the crowd didn't wake up until the band started Fear Of The Dark which was like 80 mins into the show.

Rush did a full hour of Clockwork Angels and various deep cuts. It certainly pissed some people off.

Maiden had a far far better late period....albeit needing of editing...then priest. BUT......honestly and some will disagree......ii like Firepower over ANY late Maien.

Mick

Firepower blows the last four Maiden albums away. I would also take Angel Of Retribution and Redeemer over those albums too. Priest gets to the point on those albums and doesn't turn it into an over bloated self love affair like Maiden has to do. Not everything needs to be this huge prog masterpiece in order to be good.

i love late period Madien i do. but i have to mentally prepare myself each time for an hour plus of.....Slow Beginning......verse Chorus, verse Chorus, guitar solo, repeat chorus, bigger guitar solo, Chorus Chorus, Chorus.........slow end.....wind effect. Exhausting just reading that right? lol.

Mick

I don't mind that format but somebody needs to tell them that one song per album like that is good enough.

and they played in full A Matter of life and Death live........holy.......HELL, lol

Mick

I didn't see them on that tour. They were in a period around that time where they weren't touring north America extensively and only hitting the main markets during this album cycle. They did the same when touring for Dance Of Death and Final Frontier too. I know a lot of people were pissed when they did the whole album live though. Even people who liked the album were like what the f**k is that?

I don't mind if a band wants to play a whole new album live. But you got to sprinkle in the classics every three or four songs to keep their attention. I remember when reading reviews for that tour and people kept saying that the crowd didn't wake up until the band started Fear Of The Dark which was like 80 mins into the show.

Rush did a full hour of Clockwork Angels and various deep cuts. It certainly pissed some people off.

At least Rush did give us an hour of older stuff first before bludgeoning everyone over the head with an hour of new material.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Thoe AMOLAD your was a huge success with fans and critics in the UK. The album is really popular over here, and everyone I know who went on that tour had an amazing time.

AMOLAD is a masterpiece.

Mick

Mick

Mick

At least Rush did give us an hour of older stuff first before bludgeoning everyone over the head with an hour of new material.

Most of those were 80s deep cuts. The only hits in that first hour was The Big Money and Subdivisions.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Thoe AMOLAD your was a huge success with fans and critics in the UK. The album is really popular over here, and everyone I know who went on that tour had an amazing time.

AMOLAD is a masterpiece.

Just another thing that shows how different music is between North America and Europe. I'm guessing that AMOLAD was promoted quite well over there and people were well aware of it's existence long before the shows happened. Thus giving them the chance to get to know the album before seeing it live. Plus, with Maiden being from the UK there is obviously a very dedicated and diehard fan base for them there who loved hearing all that new material.

Things aren't the same over here. The US doesn't promote new albums from classic bands very well. So the end result when a band like Maiden tours here is that 95 percent of the crowd is there to hear the stuff from the 80s and couldn't care less about a new album. So, Maiden was pretty much playing an album that most people who came to see them didn't even hear before the show. It's pretty sad but that's how pathetic US concert going audiences are.

Mick

Mick

Mick

AMOLAD is a masterpiece.

Just another thing that shows how different music is between North America and Europe. I'm guessing that AMOLAD was promoted quite well over there and people were well aware of it's existence long before the shows happened. Thus giving them the chance to get to know the album before seeing it live. Plus, with Maiden being from the UK there is obviously a very dedicated and diehard fan base for them there who loved hearing all that new material.

Things aren't the same over here. The US doesn't promote new albums from classic bands very well. So the end result when a band like Maiden tours here is that 95 percent of the crowd is there to hear the stuff from the 80s and couldn't care less about a new album. So, Maiden was pretty much playing an album that most people who came to see them didn't even hear before the show. It's pretty sad but that's how pathetic US concert going audiences are.

I have noticed US metal fans in general are more fickle lol

The UK and Europe has amazing rock and metal scenes, and over the pond you guys tend to if not shit on our killer bands, but underestimate their impact over here.

Edited by Segue Myles

Mick

Mick

Mick

AMOLAD is a masterpiece.

I have noticed US metal fans in general are more fickle lol

The UK and Europe has amazing rock and metal scenes, and over the pond you guys tend to if not shit on our killer bands, but underestimate their impact over here.

What bands do US fans shit on from over there and whose impact do we underestimate?

i don't think we shit on european bands so much as we just know little about them.

or that most of them exist.

if i hadn't met Segue i'd not know HALF the bands i do.

Mick

America is very America centric. If it wasn't for The Beatles I don't think we'd even listen to British music tbh.

• Like 1

i don't think we shit on european bands so much as we just know little about them.

or that most of them exist.

if i hadn't met Segue i'd not know HALF the bands i do.

Mick

You've also introduced me to a tonne of killer bands that are barely a thing here too

It's why I love this forum

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

Mick

Most of those were 80s deep cuts. The only hits in that first hour was The Big Money and Subdivisions.

Force Ten was a hit too. At least the radio around here used to play it a lot. Yeah, those songs are deep cuts. But they're also songs that all come from platinum albums. It's not like they were playing deep tracks off albums that bombed. Finally, at that point in Rush's career, you have no business seeing them if you're not into just about everything they've done. They were never a greatest hits touring act. By 2012 if people were going to see Rush who didn't appreciate and know most of their catalog then they're an idiot for wasting money on seeing a band that they barely know anything from.

Top five albums this year so far:

1. Fleet Foxes- Shore

2. Biffy Clyro- A Celebration Of Endings

3. Taylor Swift- folklore

4. Nightwish- Human Nature

5. Trivium- What The Dead Men Say

Biggest grower this year is Nightwish. The album that sadly hasn't lasted for me is Paradise Lost's Obsidian.

The latest Killers album is fantastic, as is the debut of Rina Sawayama.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

1. Neal Morse-Sola Gratia

2. Taylor Swift-folklore

3. Trivium- What The Dead Men Say

4. Green Day- Father of All Motherfukkers

5. The Killers-Imploding The Mirage.

Still not thrilled over Nightwsh and Biffy dropped off fast too.

Mick

• Like 2

2. Taylor Swift-folklore

Mick

Still a killer top five

Not a fan of Morse, I can't get passed the preachy lyrics. But I do appreciate the musicality of it all. I'm not detached enough from my JW side to be able to listen to those themes.

2. Taylor Swift-folklore

Mick

Still a killer top five

Not a fan of Morse, I can't get passed the preachy lyrics. But I do appreciate the musicality of it all. I'm not detached enough from my JW side to be able to listen to those themes.

i get ya. Though i'll say. i never feel i'm being preached AT with Neal. he's sharing what his passion is.

but i get ya. i just don't even hear the lyrics. it's just gibberish. love his musicality though.

Mick

2. Taylor Swift-folklore

Mick

Still a killer top five

i get ya. Though i'll say. i never feel i'm being preached AT with Neal. he's sharing what his passion is.

but i get ya. i just don't even hear the lyrics. it's just gibberish. love his musicality though.

Mick

I don't feel offended by him, and actually dig what he's trying to do. If it was about ANYTHING else, I could enjoy it more. That's not me knocking his style, his music or his craft. I'm not deaf, it's fantastic. Maybe in time I can get past it!

• Like 1

My copy of The Book Of Souls arrived today, it's in the same style as the recently released 2015 remasters of all their other albums. The set looks so nice altogether.

But most importantly, it's now great to finally be able to say, I own every Maiden album!

I can't say the same for Priest, as I lack the Ripper albums. Not really fussed about that, I only love one song between them, and can do without the rest.

Are the Maiden live albums worth collecting? I've already got most of Priests.

• Like 1

I thought i'd rank Priest Albums minus the ripper and Nostradamus albums.

1. Killing Machine

2. Screaming For Vengeance

3. Stained Class

4. Firepower

5. Painkiller

6. Angel of Retribution

7. Sin After Sin

8. Sad Wings of Destiny

9. British Steel

10. Rock A Rolla

11. Defenders of the Faith

12. Turbo

13. Ram it Down

14. Redeemer Of Souls

15. Point of Entry

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I thought i'd rank Priest Albums minus the ripper and Nostradamus albums.

1. Killing Machine

2. Screaming For Vengeance

3. Stained Class

4. Firepower

5. Painkiller

6. Angel of Retribution

7. Sin After Sin

8. Sad Wings of Destiny

9. British Steel

10. Rock A Rolla

11. Defenders of the Faith

12. Turbo

13. Ram it Down

14. Redeemer Of Souls

15. Point of Entry

Mick

I think Angel is still ranked outside my top twelve lol but I loved it today!

• Like 1

My copy of The Book Of Souls arrived today, it's in the same style as the recently released 2015 remasters of all their other albums. The set looks so nice altogether.

But most importantly, it's now great to finally be able to say, I own every Maiden album!

I can't say the same for Priest, as I lack the Ripper albums. Not really fussed about that, I only love one song between them, and can do without the rest.

I have Maiden Live After Death digitally and I think it's really good. Bruce's voice is a bit off most of the night, but he makes up for that in charisma and the rest of the band just shines. Not to mention it's an incredible setlist. The bonus tracks from a different show at the end see Bruce's voice in better shape and have a killer rendition of Phantom Of The Opera.

I have Maiden Live After Death digitally and I think it's really good. Bruce's voice is a bit off most of the night, but he makes up for that in charisma and the rest of the band just shines. Not to mention it's an incredible setlist. The bonus tracks from a different show at the end see Bruce's voice in better shape and have a killer rendition of Phantom Of The Opera.

Bruce's voice is off a bit live on everything before the live in Rio album for BNW tour. He always struggled live back in the 80s. I'm guessing it wasn't properly warming up and taking care of his voice. It always sounded like he needed half the show to find his proper pitch and tone. He's become much better with his vocal discipline as he's gotten older.

• Like 2

Bruce's voice is off a bit live on everything before the live in Rio album for BNW tour. He always struggled live back in the 80s. I'm guessing it wasn't properly warming up and taking care of his voice. It always sounded like he needed half the show to find his proper pitch and tone. He's become much better with his vocal discipline as he's gotten older.

Must say, I saw a recentish live show on tv sometime in the past year and Bruce sounded excellent, running around and everything.

there's a double CD called Maiden England from the 88 during the seventh Son tour. Bruce is having so much trouble on it. even though it's a great set list.

these rock singers when their young don't really take care of their instrument,

Mick

• Like 1

there's a double CD called Maiden England from the 88 during the seventh Son tour. Bruce is having so much trouble on it. even though it's a great set list.

Mick

Some get lucky and keep their voices, some get smart and learn to take better care before it's too late...and some wind up like Robert Plant or Liam Gallagher, shot seemingly beyond repair within a decade of hitting it big.

• Like 1

Mick

Some get lucky and keep their voices, some get smart and learn to take better care before it's too late...and some wind up like Robert Plant or Liam Gallagher, shot seemingly beyond repair within a decade of hitting it big.

and geddy lee. who.....screaming in the 70's did him in the long run.

Mick