The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Styx is one of those classic rock bands whose songs I know do absolutely nothing for me.

i understand completely. i have periods where i hate them, lol.

Dennis deyoung.....even when i'm in the mood.......has to be one of the most grating voices in rock.

Mick

So i finished my Perry era journey run and i love lists so.

it's a compulsive thing lol

1. Evolution

2. Departure

3. Escape

4. Infinity

5. Raised on Radio (very underrated)

6. Frontiers (side 1 mainly but what a strong side)

7. Trial By fire.

I find Journey Gets much less interesting once Cain shows up. but Escape is a great album. but i'm more a Gregg Rolie era guy. Hell Journey to me didn't become AOR till they hired Cain. Also Raised i almost don't consider Journey it's too close to that 1 Perry solo album than Journey.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Okay so first listen to Iron Maiden- Senjutsu:

1. Senjutsu

First thoughts? Loved it! Anthemic, stately, powerful, and yet there is an urgency that feels really, really infectious. Call me up to battle! I will stabby stab a bitch!

Yeah, one song down, happy. It doesn't immediately sound like Maiden to me, at least not recent Maiden. Gave me X Factor vibes, if X Factor was written in the same sessions as Brave New World.

My first listen and honestly I immediately loved this particular song.

Edited by Segue Myles

2. Stratego

Okay this sounds so much better to me now than it did before. I'm still not huge on this song though, it is solid but not top tier Maiden. Reminds me a tad of the FOTD era, which for me is quite forgettable. But it's good, and always growing on me.

Likely only going to get stronger over time for me.

3. The Writing On The Wall

Yeah loved it when it came out, only love it more now. As far as lead singles goes, this is my favourite of the modern era.

Yeah I nearly skipped it to get to the new songs, but I got hooked all over again and had to enjoy it one more time!

4. Lost In A Lost World

I was a bit thrown off by the vocal effects at the beginning. Something I am noticing about this album, Bruce really truly sounds his age. And that is an amazing thing to hear! His voice is aged and yet, somehow, every bit as powerful. This song is a beauty, it's reminding me of The Final Frontier (one of my favourite albums of the new era).

Atmospheric, emotive, beautifully mixed...so far, I'm having no problems getting into this album.

When the songs kicks into gear around two minutes in, it feels like Iron Maiden getting there groove on remembering just how badass they are. It doesn't sound "safe", it sounds satisfied. Does that make sense? I think it's a splendid song.

Yeah, Lost In A Lost World would have been right at home on Dance Of Death. I love it! I think it's going to only grow on me more with repeat listens.

5. Days Of Future Past

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Could have also been a splendid lead single. Classic Maiden. Nothing new, immediately loveable.

6. The Time Machine

This riffs on this track remind me, for some reason, of Leviathan era Mastodon. Not immediately Maiden like, and that is quite exciting to me!

This sounds like a grower for sure, but the elements that stood out immediately have left me wanting more! And then when the Maiden gallop arrives...HEAVEN!

First listen of disc one over. This disc alone was really good first time around.

My fears for this album were unfounded.

7. Darkest Hour

I think so far, first song on disc two, my absolute favourite has arrived. Wow

This song has weight, it's very emotional, and it's reminding me of Coming Home off The Final Frontier, but even better (hey, I loved that song)

Absolutely incredible. First listen, this gave me instant chills.

8. Death Of The Celts

As someone who secretly loves Virtual XI (it's not a classic, but shut up, I dig it), this reminds me so much of The Clansman (for obvious reasons).

I really like it, but this will take some listens. It's long, it feels a bit strange that they begin the end of the album with the first of three epics.

Again, what is this album? It really does remind me a lot of X Factor and Virtual XI, but so much better! I love the heavier vibe and the darker sound.

Potential favourite here, this song. But it is clearly not an instant hit, there is a lot going on here. I wasn't bored once!

9. The Parchment

OH MY GOD I IMMEDIATELY FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS SONG

The Parchment is like something from the Powerslave album, taken to a proggier and more twisty turny dimension.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

10. Hell On Earth

Hold on, wait...what?

This album is over?

HOOOOOOOOOOOOW

• Like 1

Segue is losing his mind over the new Iron Maiden album in real time. All seems to be right with the world.

Honestly this album is 1 hour, 20 minutes, and I was NERVOUS for it.

These are my findings:

It's got a lot going on, and it's not the same choruses over and over again. Yaaaasss

The band feel like they know what they are good at, and they sound like they want to be the best at what they know. They know a lot. It shows.

The album is so chock full to the brim with instrumental passages I could cry. With joy.

Bruce is the man! He knows his range, he knows his limits, he sings in a lower register and it's f***ing beautiful.

I'm not saying this is an instant classic, or it's the best Maiden album since *insert here*. I'm saying it's Iron f***ing Maiden being badass and once again reminding themselves and us that there is nothing more wonderful than listening to a great band just being everything they are, and then some.

Nothing lazy, tired, or boring here. And I can tell immediately that I have barely scratched the surface, there is a lot to take in and I finished my first listen excited to restart it! Honestly these days, that's rare. Some of my most hotly anticipated metal albums of the last three years have not lingered for me (pop and rock though... different story).

This album is a lot, but I don't find it as intimidating as some reviews make out. Then again I've been playing a lot of Modern Maiden this year, as well as the nineties albums.

• Like 1

For me the worst song on the album is Stratego.

So I call that a success, because it's a very good song.

My favourites? The Parchment, Lost In A Lost World, Hell On Earth and Days Of Future Past.

Segue is losing his mind over the new Iron Maiden album in real time. All seems to be right with the world.

These are my findings:

It's got a lot going on, and it's not the same choruses over and over again. Yaaaasss

The band feel like they know what they are good at, and they sound like they want to be the best at what they know. They know a lot. It shows.

The album is so chock full to the brim with instrumental passages I could cry. With joy.

Bruce is the man! He knows his range, he knows his limits, he sings in a lower register and it's f***ing beautiful.

I'm not saying this is an instant classic, or it's the best Maiden album since *insert here*. I'm saying it's Iron f***ing Maiden being badass and once again reminding themselves and us that there is nothing more wonderful than listening to a great band just being everything they are, and then some.

Nothing lazy, tired, or boring here. And I can tell immediately that I have barely scratched the surface, there is a lot to take in and I finished my first listen excited to restart it! Honestly these days, that's rare. Some of my most hotly anticipated metal albums of the last three years have not lingered for me (pop and rock though... different story).

This album is a lot, but I don't find it as intimidating as some reviews make out. Then again I've been playing a lot of Modern Maiden this year, as well as the nineties albums.

The newest Maiden album I've heard is Brave New World, and I only got that a few weeks ago. Otherwise it's Seventh Son. I feel like, aside from the two singles which I did like, I'm not really sure what kind of expectation I should set for it. I'm also not looking forward to hearing an ad every two songs on Spotify, but that's whatever. If I like it enough after one listen I'll buy it.

• Like 1

These are my findings:

The newest Maiden album I've heard is Brave New World, and I only got that a few weeks ago. Otherwise it's Seventh Son. I feel like, aside from the two singles which I did like, I'm not really sure what kind of expectation I should set for it. I'm also not looking forward to hearing an ad every two songs on Spotify, but that's whatever. If I like it enough after one listen I'll buy it.

I have to say, the modern era is something I always enjoyed, but I used to think "it's not as good as the classic era". Over time, especially the last four years when I got more and more into Maiden, I kinda feel that the new era only gets better with time. This album, for example, is not some bold reinvention. Had it come out when it was first finished, I think I'd have been more critical. But I've really fallen for the modern era hard this past year. So, try this new album, but definitely try and explore the rest of their modern era.

To me, Maiden has all been classic, aside from FOTD-VIX. And even then, I like them.

• Like 1

As for who is better, Maiden or Priest:

My answer is PISS OFF THIS ISN'T SOPHIE'S CHOICE YOU BITCH

• Like 1

My eyes have not deceived me doing my weekly thursday night iTunes check to see what's new. ABBA are releasing a new album.