The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I've basically had a morning of Peter Gabriel.

this man's music is so damn captivating......i'm talking solo.

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

LOL! Yeah, PG's solo stuff is a different animal. So much of it is wonderful.

it's amazing the difference between Genesis peter and solo.

i feel like his Genesis stint was WAY to shtick-y

He really explored musically so i feel.

Mick

He got more direct as an lyricist...even when telling a story. That was definitely a key element.

Also, he didn't write all the Genesis lyrics during his tenue. Sure, he wrote a lot of them (The Lamb in particular, Supper's Ready) but many of them were handled by Banks and Rutherford.

Banks and Rutherford lyrics, lol. Sure they're fine, but when you have a PG in the band, why don't you let him handle it? That aside, I love Watcher Of The Sky, so whatever.

Gabriel's voice is magic. It's the sound of wisdom and soul.

• Like 2

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

Mick

He got more direct as an lyricist...even when telling a story. That was definitely a key element.

Also, he didn't write all the Genesis lyrics during his tenue. Sure, he wrote a lot of them (The Lamb in particular, Supper's Ready) but many of them were handled by Banks and Rutherford.

Banks and Rutherford lyrics, lol. Sure they're fine, but when you have a PG in the band, why don't you let him handle it? That aside, I love Watcher Of The Sky, so whatever.

good musician but Banks is a right jackass. He basically has nothing good to say about Peter's time in the band. he apparently hated that era. and is not fond of peter himself.

Not my fav era......but it wasn't awful.

Mick

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

Mick

good musician but Banks is a right jackass. He basically has nothing good to say about Peter's time in the band. he apparently hated that era. and is not fond of peter himself.

Mick

He's probably still mad that Peter often took a song Banks had just written and put words all over it which covered up all of the bit in the keys that Banks was really proud of. Case in point: Battle Of Epping Forest. He also said this about Supper's Ready, but then realized how great the vocals worked over the keyboard part and dropped it.

His fav Genesis record is Wind And Withering for a reason, lol.

• Like 2

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

Welll...that's a bit oversimplified. I know that Tony loves a lot of the older stuff... especially the music that he had a big part in creating (Supper, Firth, Cinema Show, Watcher etc)...

Genesis were a songwriters collective. It was always this way.. so that's a big reason why even with someone like PG in the band, they all wrote music and lyrics. The fact that Peter insisted on writing the whole story/lyrics for "The Lamb" was a real change-up to how they had previously worked.

Tony.... eeehhhh.... I love his writing, he's one of my favorite keyboardists in the "rock" era.. but ... I'm still pissed at him for what was done with the 2007 remixes. Frankly, they sound awful. Most of the original light and shade/dynamics were basically destroyed (especially on the Trick-Duke period.)

Mick - I gotta know... which versions of these albums have you heard ? Did you get into Genesis a long time ago , or at least before 2007? :)

• Like 1

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

Welll...that's a bit oversimplified. I know that Tony loves a lot of the older stuff... especially the music that he had a big part in creating (Supper, Firth, Cinema Show, Watcher etc)...

Genesis were a songwriters collective. It was always this way.. so that's a big reason why even with someone like PG in the band, they all wrote music and lyrics. The fact that Peter insisted on writing the whole story/lyrics for "The Lamb" was a real change-up to how they had previously worked.

Tony.... eeehhhh.... I love his writing, he's one of my favorite keyboardists in the "rock" era.. but ... I'm still pissed at him for what was done with the 2007 remixes. Frankly, they sound awful. Most of the original light and shade/dynamics were basically destroyed (especially on the Trick-Duke period.)

Mick - I gotta know... which versions of these albums have you heard ? Did you get into Genesis a long time ago , or at least before 2007? :)

i have Original CD pressing's but........i have heard the 2007 sets via my uncle.

the gabriel box Sounds amazing to me.

Collins era box............wow it sounds so bad.

lol. i hate that collins box. pissed all over my fav era, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

i have Original CD pressing's but........i have heard the 2007 sets via my uncle.

Mick

OK good.. I'm glad you have the original CDs!

Yeah, the Gabriel box is decent in terms of sound quality... I admit to having some trouble adjusting to some of the remixes because I'm so used to the orignials.

That Collins-era box... GAWD... I bought the remixed Trick, mostly to get the In Concert 1976 footage. 15 seconds into "Dance on a Volcano" I nearly threw the disc out the car window. LOL. WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY LOVELY MUSIC? :LOL:

Genesis.......meh, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

Mick

OK good.. I'm glad you have the original CDs!

Yeah, the Gabriel box is decent in terms of sound quality... I admit to having some trouble adjusting to some of the remixes because I'm so used to the orignials.

That Collins-era box... GAWD... I bought the remixed Trick, mostly to get the In Concert 1976 footage. 15 seconds into "Dance on a Volcano" I nearly threw the disc out the car window. LOL. WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY LOVELY MUSIC? :LOL:

Adam had a great comparison. Trick of the tail remix was Genesis going Vapor Trails.

DID THE BAND ACTUALLY SIGN OFF ON THESE??!!!

awful.

The live box sounds good though

Mick

• Like 1

I want the Live box, big time. I'll splurge for that one.

Otherwise, I'll wait until the band come to their senses and FIX the Collins-era boxes

i'm sure i could have done better and i know nothing about mixing, lol

Did you ever read the genesis book Chapter and verse? it's their bio. but told all in interviews. they go through their entire career. it is awesome.

Mick

• Like 1

Segue, I know you are upset, but keep your private life private on here. A word to the wise and all that.

Good advice

• Like 1

I want the Live box, big time. I'll splurge for that one.

Otherwise, I'll wait until the band come to their senses and FIX the Collins-era boxes

i'm sure i could have done better and i know nothing about mixing, lol

Did you ever read the genesis book Chapter and verse? it's their bio. but told all in interviews. they go through their entire career. it is awesome.

Mick

I love that book. Lost it in the divorce! :LOL: I need to re-purchase it.

I do have a couple other Genesis books which are good... but I gotta get new copies of the Armando Gallo books (and Chapter & Verse).

• Like 1

Waking up to REM people.

Albums i have heard.

Murmur

Rekoning

Life's Rich Pageant

Document

Green

Out of Time

Bolded are early favs

so all but the first 2, couldn't get behind thoughs

and i spun them 4 times each now.

everything else is awesome

Mick

• Like 3

Waking up to REM people.

Albums i have heard.

Murmur

Rekoning

Life's Rich Pageant

Document

Green

Out of Time

Bolded are early favs

so all but the first 2, couldn't get behind thoughs

and i spun them 4 times each now.

everything else is awesome

Mick

Yay!

Favourite songs for me are:

Fall On Me

Near Wild Heaven

The Great Beyond

And then pretty much everything else haha

But those three are my current faves

• Like 1

Listening to "Closer to an Animal" and "Life" I'm still bewildered that The Ninth Hour turned out to be as bad of an album as it did.

Agreed. Its...lifeless after those two. All the good stuff is only really good in context with that release.

I feel like my music taste has changed 180° back to my childhood.

Top ten bands:

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

HIM

Paradise Lost

REM

Pearl Jam

Biffy Clyro

REM

U2

Jimmy Eat World/The Juliana Theory (both make it 11)

• Like 1

I might as well be 16

Hey, I'm in my mid-40s, but a lot of the time, I feel like I'm about twenty years younger.

:cheers: for regression!

(And I have also, thanks to various people and comments on this forum, gone back to listening to certain things I had not heard in ages and ages).

(But that's not what makes me 'feel' young...that's different).

(I promise, this is the last time I'll speak parenthetically...in this post, at least).

• Like 3

Top ten bands:

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

HIM

Paradise Lost

REM

Pearl Jam

Biffy Clyro

REM

U2

No...that's still just ten.

:LOL:

Top ten bands:

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

HIM

Paradise Lost

REM

Pearl Jam

Biffy Clyro

REM

U2

No...that's still just ten.

:LOL:

Or twice as much REM haha