The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

We ought to start a "Fraroc Music Commentary Thread Featuring Mick and Segue".

That would cheer him up.

:)

oh my that would drive Fraroc looney.

Segue and i are like the Fraroc police. he makes a bullshit claim.

with nothing to back it up mind you.......and we just can't let that go.

lol.

Mick

• Like 1

We ought to start a "Fraroc Music Commentary Thread Featuring Mick and Segue".

That would cheer him up.

:)

oh my that would drive Fraroc looney.

Segue and i are like the Fraroc police. he makes a bullshit claim.

with nothing to back it up mind you.......and we just can't let that go.

lol.

Mick

I like choosing our special guests haha

• Like 2

Let me say it's so nice to have others join in here.

Segue and i can only argue between us for so long, lol

Mick

I've popped in here from time to time but haven't done so in awhile. And that's because...well...there's a bunch of non-related reasons but I'm just so all over the place with what I'm currently listening to (current faves, old faves, new faves, etc.) that IDK where to begin haha.

It might be surprising (well it ain't to me cause I've never been ashamed of always liking the genre), but in between my renewed Katatonia/Full of Hell and newly discovered Caspian high, I've been listening to a lot more hip hop than I have in the past. I've been playing stuff like Vince Staples, Kendrick Lamar, and dälek frequently for the past month or so. Feels weird to say in this kind of forum but I digress...

...that new Gorillaz album is a complete and total disaster...just felt absolutely D.O.A. Misplaced use of guest artists, poor utilization of said guests, and less than average songwriting just makes this album an absolute mess of a dud for me and my sister whom we've been fans of since our teen years. If anything it makes us wanna go back to their first three albums and erase the new one from our listening memory. Yeah, definitely don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon.

Meanwhile, Full of Hell put out what I think is the best extreme metal album of the year. Hands down. You don't get Aaron Turner (SUMAC, Isis the band), Nate Newton and Kurt Ballou (Converge) to guest on your album unless it's (probably) the best extreme metal album of the year.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Im currently loving:

REM

Stone Temple Pilots

Pearl Jam

Lacuna Coil

Temple Of The Dog

Soundgarden

Biffy Clyro

Screaming Trees

Nirvana

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Slowdive

U2

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Placebo

I'm in a real alternative phase. Which is truthfully told my favourite kind of phase.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Im currently loving:

REM

Stone Temple Pilots

Pearl Jam

Lacuna Coil

Temple Of The Dog

Soundgarden

Biffy Clyro

Screaming Trees

Nirvana

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Slowdive

U2

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Placebo

I'm in a real alternative phase. Which is truthfully told my favourite kind of phase.

Looking at your list.......i actually love a good chunk of those bands.

Mick

• Like 2

Im currently loving:

REM

Stone Temple Pilots

Pearl Jam

Lacuna Coil

Temple Of The Dog

Soundgarden

Biffy Clyro

Screaming Trees

Nirvana

Pixies

My Bloody Valentine

Slowdive

U2

The Jesus And Mary Chain

Placebo

Looking at your list.......i actually love a good chunk of those bands.

Mick

Good haha!!

• Like 1

Mick...i really think you could LOVE Biffy Clyro. But I was an idiot to say "play Blackened Sky first!"

Instead I really strongly recommend their 2013 double album Opposites. And the best review of the album I've ever seen that does it justice is on Allmusic, which gave it 9/10:

Biffy Clyro's 2013 album, Opposites, is the band's sixth studio effort and follows up the band's hugely successful 2009 Mercury Prize-nominated release, Only Revolutions. Whether appreciated as a double- or single-disc album (the band released both versions), Opposites is a sprawling, ambitious work that once again finds the Scottish rock trio balancing its prog rock inclinations with its undeniable talent for mainstream, radio-ready pop. In that sense, Biffy Clyro are certainly one of the most album-oriented, '70s-style rock acts of their generation -- though their sound is hardly retro. On the contrary, with lead singer/guitarist Simon Neil belting in a thick brogue over the band's knotty, metal-influenced arrangements, Biffy Clyro come off more like a Scottish version of Fugazi than, say, a classic rock band like Rush, although there is a twinge of nerd-rock power here, too. There is something very concept album-esque about Biffy Clyro's Opposites, especially when taken in the entire two-disc format. It's very laser light show-friendly, as many of the songs here are heavy with loud guitars, frenetic drumming, and intricate, multi-layered arrangements. Primarily, however, the album rides on the kind of anthemic, crowd-pleasing pop songs that made Only Revolutions such a success. Where last time we got the melodic bombast of "Mountains" and "Many of Horror," here we get the equally as wide-eyed "Sounds Like Balloons" and the romantic, soundtrack-ready "Biblical." Ultimately, Biffy Clyro's gift as a band is to craft songs that balance immediately catchy hooks with complex arrangements that only help to reinforce the drama of the pop moment. Thankfully, there are plenty of these dichotomous yet rapturous moments on Opposites.

Mick, how are these three for starting.

1. Purple Rain

2. Sign O' The Times

3. 1999

I have Sign O' The Times on vinyl from my parents' old record collection. Excellent album, deep and never boring.

That's the only Prince album I've heard though. :)

• Like 1

1. Purple Rain

2. Sign O' The Times

3. 1999

I have Sign O' The Times on vinyl from my parents' old record collection. Excellent album, deep and never boring.

Great. I'll be sure to give it the proper attention

1. Purple Rain

2. Sign O' The Times

3. 1999

Great. I'll be sure to give it the proper attention

Purple Rain's great but it's the only one I've heard myself, actually.

Holy hell that guitar solo on Computer Blue

i'm sorry Adam i just saw your question.

those 3 are great

i'd also throw in Around the World in a day.

if you like what you hear. go to Contraversy

Mick

• Like 1

Mick's spot on. And you selected 3 classic Prince albums to start with. Seriously.

Prince entire 80's run is nearly flawless.

i say nearly cause he lost a bit of steam towards the end of the decade.

but he had an Amazing run.

Dirty mind on through at least Sign o the Times is pretty jaw dropping.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Yeah. Sign o' the Times is the gift that keeps on giving... so much music crammed into that album. and it's so varied.

I really need to hear Around the World in a Day again.

I love the song the Ladder on that album.

When he hits his screams in the song.......WHOO!!!!!!! lol.

people talk best screamers in rock. some mentionn prince..........ever hear Do me Baby.

damn that vocal.

Mick

• Like 1

Happy 2nd Anniversary to The Mick and Segue Music Commentary thread! :cheers:

Seems like twenty years ago instead of two that this thread was started, doesn't it? :sigh:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

By the way, Mick, that was very funny - the Zumbie High Achievement Award.

We ought to have a thread and hand out TRF High Achievement Awards from time to time. Kind of like our own Tonys or Oscars or Cleos.

• Like 1

Happy 2nd Anniversary to The Mick and Segue Music Commentary thread! :cheers:

Seems like twenty years ago instead of two that this thread was started, doesn't it? :sigh:

i remember being blown away when you made this.

it seems forever ago indeed. i'm happy to have more people participate in recent days. i invited fraroc in one time......but i think we both intimidate him, lol

Mick

• Like 1