The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

By the way, Mick, that was very funny - the Zumbie High Achievement Award.

We ought to have a thread and hand out TRF High Achievement Awards from time to time. Kind of like our own Tonys or Oscars or Cleos.

i'd get the award for best ranter when angry at an album.

remember those days. that was my thing, lol

Mick

• Like 1

This thread is special to me.

I've discovered a lot of music thanks to this thread and have shared a lot as well.

• Like 3

Mick, you are right that Biffy sound at times like Foos.

But don't let that put you off. If there is one thing Biffy aren't good at, it's following the same formula over and over.

• Like 1

But don't let that put you off. If there is one thing Biffy aren't good at, it's following the same formula over and over.

it actually doesn't put me off.

Cause their what i wanted the Foos to be.

you have to understand i wanted to like the Foos.

it feels like i should. you know bands like that.

Mick

it actually doesn't put me off.

Cause their what i wanted the Foos to be.

you have to understand i wanted to like the Foos.

it feels like i should. you know bands like that.

Mick

Puzzle, and the three albums that follow (four if you consider Opposites was intended to be two, but came out a double instead) are amazing.

Try Folding Stars. Written as a way for Simon to deal with the death of his mother. Playing the live at wembley version now amd its reduced me to tears as i type.

• Like 1

I blew through those 3 and Dirty Mind last night. I think I need to play them again before I go further. It's way too much to digest. Right out the gate I really enjoyed Dirty Mind and Purple Rain. 1999 also had a lot of good in it. Sign O' The Times may take the most time for me but I see room for it to grow.
  • Like 1

I blew through those 3 and Dirty Mind last night. I think I need to play them again before I go further. It's way too much to digest. Right out the gate I really enjoyed Dirty Mind and Purple Rain. 1999 also had a lot of good in it. Sign O' The Times may take the most time for me but I see room for it to grow.

Glad to here Prince is clicking with you a bit.

He has so much to digest your right.

Mick

The only thing that I don't think will grow on me is the woman orgasming during one song or Prince doing the Michael Jacksonesque oh!'s

yea that's part of the package with him.

i know that's a deal breaker for some.

but not really for me.

Mick

Prince is very talented.

But not for me. At all.

Segue, have you ever heard From the Inside by Alice Cooper?

Not sure...I went through a brief period a couple of years back where I spun a few of his works

This thread is special to me.

I've discovered a lot of music thanks to this thread and have shared a lot as well.

I've really liked Insomnium and Swallow The Sun that you rec'd to me a few months ago. I like to get back and indulge some more of those two bands eventually.

I'm doing two nights (well I gotta buy tickets to the 2nd night atm) of Neurosis w/Converge as support in August and this band will be opening for them which is kind of fitting considering I can sort of liken them as Belgium's answer to Neurosis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwcyXLylszw

IDK, if you like Neurosis, Amenra might be to your liking.

Not sure...I went through a brief period a couple of years back where I spun a few of his works

Cooper wrote the album about his experiences and the people he meet while he was in an institution for alcohol rehab. Very good stuff.

• Like 1

Cooper wrote the album about his experiences and the people he meet while he was in an institution for alcohol rehab. Very good stuff.

And he wrote the lyrics with Bernie Taupin. It has a very over the top glam quality to it too

And he wrote the lyrics with Bernie Taupin. It has a very over the top glam quality to it too

I've always wondered what lyrics Taupin contributed since everything on it sounds undeniably Cooper.

So...gonna try and give Alice Cooper a shot!

And Adam! I loved Little River Band!!!!!

And who sang that oddly amazing Airport song?

And Mick, in your honour I plan to listen too some U2 today.

• Like 1

I'm gonna try to take a somewhat of a musical "sabbatical"for a few days. I'll still be listening to a bit of music but not gonna really listen to much metal (at least premeditatedly) to recharge my batteries but once I come out of it, I plan to listen to these bands:

Swallow The Sun (the first album and maybe one other album that I've already heard)

Insomnium (Winter's Gate and Shadows Of The Dying Sun)

Katatonia (cause I can)

Amenra (to familiarize myself in time for August)

In the meantime, I'll be listening to some Steven Wilson in honor of the upcoming album and IDK what else...maybe some ambient/drone music.

• Like 1

By the way, Mick, I had a dream about you last night. Honest.

The only thing I remember is that we were going someplace special that night. We were in a department store and I decided to have my makeup done by one of the makeup artists at the counter rather than do my own makeup.

Not very exciting, but it's the only thing I remember now. Should have written it down when I got up.

• Like 1