The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Hey hey, dudes...

I´ve been binging on King Diamond lately. He´s tacky, he´s scary, annoying but amazing!!!

http://www.metalblade.com/us/mainpics/king-diamond.jpg

He's not bad. I've only listened to "Them" and it's pretty cool. Great instrumentally, but I'm not totally sold on his vocals.

I like that most of his albums are concept albums.

• Like 1

I have to say recently I've realised I've grown very distant from Lacuna Coil. I think discovering so much music in recent years has in a way changed what moves me in music. Still, I love LC but nostalgia aside, the music doesn't hold the same appeal anymore.

Kind of sucks but for a long time they've been a lifeline. Nothing will ever quite match Unleashed Memories or Karmacode for me.

Although Sonata Arctica sure have come close. In fact I'd go as far as to say they are my favourite band now. Them and Nightwish. And that's in spite of a recent boring album haha

I have to say recently I've realised I've grown very distant from Lacuna Coil. I think discovering so much music in recent years has in a way changed what moves me in music. Still, I love LC but nostalgia aside, the music doesn't hold the same appeal anymore.

Kind of sucks but for a long time they've been a lifeline. Nothing will ever quite match Unleashed Memories or Karmacode for me.

Although Sonata Arctica sure have come close. In fact I'd go as far as to say they are my favourite band now. Them and Nightwish. And that's in spite of a recent boring album haha

i think that's normal though. As we grow and change. so does the music we love.

I love the Beatles and i have been listening again to them. but the special high i used to get from then honestly isn't there anymore.

and i think that's ok.......cause it free's space up for new stuff.

If you're a music lover. i think you have this built in tendency to never be satisfied truly.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I love the Beatles and i have been listening again to them. but the special high i used to get from then honestly isn't there anymore.

If you're a music lover. i think you have this built in tendency to never be satisfied truly.

Mick

So true.

It's why I revisit bands I've disliked strongly in the past.

Sonata are a prime example. I never liked them and thought they were overhyped (on the European metal scene that is).

You might not know this but I don't mind them now haha

• Like 1

Mick

So true.

It's why I revisit bands I've disliked strongly in the past.

Sonata are a prime example. I never liked them and thought they were overhyped (on the European metal scene that is).

You might not know this but I don't mind them now haha

Noooooo, lol

but really. i've latched onto ween now. which is great....i have a band now for at least a couple months at most a year, lpl

we'll see.

Mick

I also still really love death metal, extreme metal, and the like...but I find it gets old fast. I really love the style but you need a new top up every week...and I can't be bothered lol

To be honest Metal in general is good for me in short Bursts. and Death growl vocals are still to silly......i laugh i'm sorry, lol even waits. whose is one of death growels fathers, IMO.

i still get more mileage from AOR and pop/rock, lol

and weird art Rock like Zappa, Ween, Waits and the like.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

To be honest Metal in general is good for me in short Bursts. and Death growl vocals are still to silly......i laugh i'm sorry, lol

i still get more mileage from AOR and pop/rock, lol

and weird art Rock like Zappa, Ween, Waits and the like.

Mick

I love growled vocals.

My heart belongs to gothic metal I think, and bands that touch upon this style.

• Like 1

Hey hey, dudes...

I´ve been binging on King Diamond lately. He´s tacky, he´s scary, annoying but amazing!!!

http://www.metalblade.com/us/mainpics/king-diamond.jpg

i need to try him.........as i've heard the name on this forum a lot.

Mick

I would suggest the album Abigail if you give him a try.

Even as a big fan of his, the vocals can take a lot of getting used to. There's even been times where I need to take a break while listening to him. That falsetto can grate on your ears a bit sometimes.

Most of his albums are concepts which is cool. Always thought a few of them would make decent horror flicks.

• Like 1

Yeah, when I said binge I meant I'm reconnecting with King's old material - every week it's a diferente album, and I've revisited quite a few. But I must admit it's hard to listen to more than two of his albums in a row.

Yeah, when I said binge I meant I'm reconnecting with King's old material - every week it's a diferente album, and I've revisited quite a few. But I must admit it's hard to listen to more than two of his albums in a row.

I usually save my King Diamond listening for the month of October. He fits the halloween vibe so well. After that i'm probably good until next October.

First time listen today - what a GREAT album!!!

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

I liked this album a lot! Buuuuut...nothing they have done matches From Mars To Sirius from 2006...Gojira are amazing though. Alter Bridge took everyone by susprise when they invited them to support them in the UK! They are huge Gojira fans.

• Like 1

I have Mars to Sirius, but only gave it a few listens way back in 2008...will check it out again soon. But man, this latest release is INSANELY GOOD!!!

I will play it a few more times. I've been insanely disappointed by 2016 for music so I would like to dig deeper!

My expectations for 2017 are low after this year.

My musical expectations for 2017:

New Deep Purple, Flying Colors and Mastodon albums

Maiden continuing the Book of Souls tour with possible setlist surprises

Dream Theater playing Images & Words in full and other career highlights

New music from Jimmy Page (come on Jimmy, give us ANYTHING new!!!)

New The Darkness album

Geddy and Alex resuming their careers, together or apart, with or without Neil.

Anthrax playing Among the LIving in full on their next tour

The YouTube previews of the Nightwish DVD are very poor. The sound gave off the worrying impression this was going to be a compressed and ugly sounding production...but I played the Blu Ray of Wembley and I was astonished by the clarity. This is by far the biggest treat I have had all year, and almost a year to the day since I actually saw this concert myself in Wembley!

Mick, it comes out in January. I really encourage it. It's Nightwish at their most heartfelt and impassioned. Honestly if you had any questions as to why I love them so very much this release answers them all.

I was in tears numerous times. They really hit me hard in the feels.

I'm about to watch the second concert, from Tampere in Finland. This concert is the biggest stage production of their career and also their biggest. Outdoors as well.

Floor Jansen is the greatest of all the Nightwish ladies. It's hard to believe now that there was a time fans argued between Tarja or Anette. Seriously, their is no competitor here.

Two years in a row, Nightwish release my favourite music related release of the year.

I will say though that Grey remain the album of the year, as in all honesty the Nightwish release barely qualifies as the full CD release of Wembley is essentially a bonus feature on the box set. But hands down this is the best thing I've bought all year.

I was at Wembley and today I felt like I was there again. I cannot believe how much of the magic has been captured for home entertainment.

Superb. Just a shame the US release has been delayed.

The YouTube previews of the Nightwish DVD are very poor. The sound gave off the worrying impression this was going to be a compressed and ugly sounding production...but I played the Blu Ray of Wembley and I was astonished by the clarity. This is by far the biggest treat I have had all year, and almost a year to the day since I actually saw this concert myself in Wembley!

Mick, it comes out in January. I really encourage it. It's Nightwish at their most heartfelt and impassioned. Honestly if you had any questions as to why I love them so very much this release answers them all.

I'm about to watch the second concert, from Tampere in Finland. This concert is the biggest stage production of their career and also their biggest. Outdoors as well.

Floor Jansen is the greatest of all the Nightwish ladies. It's hard to believe now that there was a time fans argued between Tarja or Anette. Seriously, their is no competitor here.

Two years in a row, Nightwish release my favourite music related release of the year.

I will say though that Grey remain the album of the year, as in all honesty the Nightwish release barely qualifies as the full CD release of Wembley is essentially a bonus feature on the box set. But hands down this is the best thing I've bought all year.

I was at Wembley and today I felt like I was there again. I cannot believe how much of the magic has been captured for home entertainment.

i'm all up for buying music Concerts. i LOVE nightwish Sans Tarja.......maybe for my b-day in February. not that far off, lol

Mick

i'm all up for buying music Concerts. i LOVE nightwish Sans Tarja.......maybe for my b-day in February. not that far off, lol

Mick

It's stunning. Now I love every era of Nightwish. A lot of their best work is their early work.

But as a live act this is the best they have ever been! The growth from 2013's still classic Showtime, Storytime is immense! If you thought Floor and the band were on peak for then...well...she seems a totally more at ease front woman now. I think her chemistry with the band is phenomenonal, and the joy and the energy of the band is rejuvenated. Now I loved Anette in the studio, but live she was atrocious. I think this is the reason we never got a live DVD featuring her, but we got an live DVD with Floor recorded before we even had an announcement that she was the new singer for good.

And now we have two more full concerts of extremely high quality, that's three concert DVD's in three years. This tells you something!

Tuomas is the heart and the soul of Nightwish. In Floor they have found the perfect voice and performer. Not even Tarja can compete, as you only need to see The End Of An Era DVD to realise she was entirely separate from the rest of the band onstage.

Floor shares the stage, she owns it alongside a phenomenal team. I am just...enthralled.

I was so nervous this release would not capture the magic of that night but I was beyond surprised.

• Like 1

Mick

It's stunning. Now I love every era of Nightwish. A lot of their best work is their early work.

But as a live act this is the best they have ever been! The growth from 2013's still classic Showtime, Storytime is immense! If you thought Floor and the band were on peak for then...well...she seems a totally more at ease front woman now. I think her chemistry with the band is phenomenonal, and the joy and the energy of the band is rejuvenated. Now I loved Anette in the studio, but live she was atrocious. I think this is the reason we never got a live DVD featuring her, but we got an live DVD with Floor recorded before we even had an announcement that she was the new singer for good.

And now we have two more full concerts of extremely high quality, that's three concert DVD's in three years. This tells you something!

Tuomas is the heart and the soul of Nightwish. In Floor they have found the perfect voice and performer. Not even Tarja can compete, as you only need to see The End Of An Era DVD to realise she was entirely separate from the rest of the band onstage.

Floor shares the stage, she owns it alongside a phenomenal team. I am just...enthralled.

I was so nervous this release would not capture the magic of that night but I was beyond surprised.

it's on my list. if i get a check this Christmas i may just buy it straight off.

I polished off the Coheed DVD box set set i bought so i need something new, lol

Mick

Mick

it's on my list. if i get a check this Christmas i may just buy it straight off.

Mick

Was that set worth the money? I'm sad to say I've no love for them anymore. I just don't think I will ever be into them again. But that won't change the impact they had on me!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Was that set worth the money? I'm sad to say I've no love for them anymore. I just don't think I will ever be into them again. But that won't change the impact they had on me!

it is if your a new fan.

what it is is they perform their first 4 albums live. it was a show over 4 nights

you get a double DVD of the shows and 4 Audio CD'S Of the shows.

i loved it.

Mick

Watching the second Nightwish concert.

They are very different visually, with subtlety different setlists.

TREAT!

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

I liked this album a lot! Buuuuut...nothing they have done matches From Mars To Sirius from 2006...Gojira are amazing though. Alter Bridge took everyone by susprise when they invited them to support them in the UK! They are huge Gojira fans.

I actually haven't listened to this album...but I've heard mixed things about it. Some say it's their best, the rest say it's their worst. I can't say I'm a fan, but I liked a few of their albums. Excellent at their craft, I'll give them that.

I saw them co-headline with Mastodon with Kvlertak supporting almost 3 years ago come next year and to this day I matain it to be the show that forced me to wear earplugs at shows; no exceptions...it was that loud that I had ringing in my ears for a few days that they haven't completely fully recovered (it's fine but I hear very subtle ringing in silent places). All bands were tight that night especially Gojira...I've never heard such excellent drum sounds for a metal band live as good as Gojira's drummer.

I'll look at giving it a listen in the next few days. For better or worse, there's still a few albums released this year I've yet to listen to...

Edited by PolarizeMe

Gojira_magma_artwork.jpg

I actually haven't listened to this album...but I've heard mixed things about it. Some say it's their best, the rest say it's their worst. I can't say I'm a fan, but I liked a few of their albums. Excellent at their craft, I'll give them that.

I saw them co-headline with Mastodon with Kvlertak supporting almost 3 years ago come next year and to this day I matain it to be the show that forced me to wear earplugs at shows; no exceptions...it was that loud that I had ringing in my ears for a few days that they haven't completely fully recovered (it's fine but I hear very subtle ringing in silent places). All bands were tight that night especially Gojira...I've never heard such excellent drum sounds for a metal band live as good as Gojira's drummer.

I'll look at giving it a listen in the next few days. For better or worse, there's still a few albums released this year I've yet to listen to...

I've never seen them live but otherwise you've summed up pretty much all my feelings on this band