The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Nothing special or new going on in my end, mostly revisiting favorite bands of mine.

I've been revisiting the Alcest discography the past week or so with Kodama being in my top 5 albums last year I thought it'd be nice to revisit the other stuff (including a few stuff I seemed to have overlooked like their debut EP and a 3 song live EP).

I wasn't expecting enjoy Kodama as much as I do...I liked the previous album Shelter as non-Alcest it was, but up until late last year I thought my "phase" with the band was well past me. I guess it was the album I needed in late 2016, as the more I listen to it, the more emotional I feel. Really looking forward to seeing them live again next month.

• Like 1

I re-Discoverd Tom Petty thanks to that poll. and i think his music is just what i need.

I never really seem to remember how good he is.

also AFI's Crash Love is been a regular album for me recently.......that may be my fav of theirs.

Mick

I'm not into Petty at the moment. However, when I am into Springsteen that's when I most get into Petty! Odd? Yeah...

And it makes me happy you love Crash Love. It has always saddened me how little love that one received when it came out. I did at first have to hold in my dismay when I first played it...but it's a terrific stadium rock album that I think has a lot of AFI style quirks. Too Shy To Scream has been my morning alarm for years and I never tire of it!

Because this album flopped, they tried to recreate the darkness of old with the next album and totally misfired in my honest opinion. I just feel that album is fake. The new album is like a scrapbook of everything they have ever done and feels celebratory to my ears. Is it as great as Crash Love? Not sure...but it's top five for me.

1. Sing The Sorrow

2. Decemberunderground

3. The Art Of Drowning

4. Black Sails In The Sunset

5. AFI (or Crash Love...I need time!)

I re-Discoverd Tom Petty thanks to that poll. and i think his music is just what i need.

also AFI's Crash Love is been a regular album for me recently.......that may be my fav of theirs.

Mick

I'm not into Petty at the moment. However, when I am into Springsteen that's when I most get into Petty! Odd? Yeah...

And it makes me happy you love Crash Love. It has always saddened me how little love that one received when it came out. I did at first have to hold in my dismay when I first played it...but it's a terrific stadium rock album that I think has a lot of AFI style quirks. Too Shy To Scream has been my morning alarm for years and I never tire of it!

Because this album flopped, they tried to recreate the darkness of old with the next album and totally misfired in my honest opinion. I just feel that album is fake. The new album is like a scrapbook of everything they have ever done and feels celebratory to my ears. Is it as great as Crash Love? Not sure...but it's top five for me.

1. Sing The Sorrow

2. Decemberunderground

3. The Art Of Drowning

Since i'm huge on their punk years......i think i'd rank what i enjoy like this.

Crash Love

Discemberunderground

AFI

Sing the Sorrow

Burials

Mick

Mick

1. Sing The Sorrow

2. Decemberunderground

3. The Art Of Drowning

Since i'm huge on their punk years......i think i'd rank what i enjoy like this.

Crash Love

Discemberunderground

AFI

Sing the Sorrow

Burials

Mick

I love you.

BUT YOU ARE WRONG TO RANK SING THE SORROW SO DAMN LOW!!

Lolsies

Mick

1. Sing The Sorrow

2. Decemberunderground

3. The Art Of Drowning

Crash Love

Discemberunderground

AFI

Sing the Sorrow

Burials

Mick

I love you.

Lolsies

lol.......doestn't mean i don't enjoy it.

but it's still a punk type album....albeit more pop punk. and i have to really be in the mood for it.

Mick

Mick

1. Sing The Sorrow

2. Decemberunderground

3. The Art Of Drowning

Crash Love

Discemberunderground

AFI

Sing the Sorrow

Burials

Mick

I love you.

Lolsies

lol.......doestn't mean i don't enjoy it.

but it's still a punk type album....albeit more pop punk. and i have to really be in the mood for it.

Mick

I am glad you enjoy them. They are the most unknown platinum selling band I've ever come across this side of 2000!

• Like 1

Miss Murder is one of my favorite guitar hero songs.

When that song came out it was like nothing they'd ever done before. Brave move. Love that song and the album it's from so much! (Decemberunderground).

I will always love AFI. Another band from my teens that I am delighted to say haven't lost impact with me over time.

Kansas...back on my radar...played three albums today and I forgot just how much I love them!

Still the best non-Springsteen band of the seventies for me.

And I flipping love their eighties work as well!

Kansas are better than Rush on the whole for me now. Oh my days...KANSAS!

• Like 1

Kansas...back on my radar...played three albums today and I forgot just how much I love them!

no just for fun replay the new one. i'd love your view on it now, lol

Mick

no just for fun replay the new one. i'd love your view on it now, lol

Mick

I started and I felt the same as before...

• Like 1

My Paradise Lost collection is finally growing beautifully. They do gorgeous deluxe editions and soon I'm collecting all the b-sides via singles and EPs and whatnot.

I can safely say that Paradise Lost are one of the most important bands to me now. I think, like Sonata Arctica, they are the band to have saved my life this past year.

Honestly the lyrics to Don't Belong have helped me through a mentally savage week.

New Mastodon album cover art...

mastodon-emperor-of-sand.jpg?quality=80&w=600

They've pressed the "REBOOT" button. The snippet on their website sounds fantastic and IMO harkens back to Crack The Skye. Might flirt with the idea of seeing them live this spring...Russian Circles are opening for them and I've been wanting to see them live also.

They've pressed the "REBOOT" button. The snippet on their website sounds fantastic and IMO harkens back to Crack The Skye. Might flirt with the idea of seeing them live this spring...Russian Circles are opening for them and I've been wanting to see them live also.

I would prefer an album that hearkens back to their earlier sound. Crack The Skye still sounds to normalised for my liking after what they did with Blood Mountain.

But hey! Great artwork and I'm now looking forward to new Mastodon for the first time in a very long time!

I would prefer an album that hearkens back to their earlier sound. Crack The Skye still sounds to normalised for my liking after what they did with Blood Mountain.

But hey! Great artwork and I'm now looking forward to new Mastodon for the first time in a very long time!

I actually a listen to Blood Mountain yesterday and it was WAY less heavier that I remembered it being...felt like Crack The Skye without the prog. The lead single sounds sort of like those two albums and The Hunter and Once More Around The Sun had a foursome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og39iIBeOHI

If there's one thing the band became better at after Crack The Skye, it's that they all became better vocalists. Every live I see of them before The Hunter has their clean vocals sounding like a pile of sludgy caca (Brent was the worst of the three).

I count Crack The Skye as the bands last masterpiece. And my least favourite of their four masterpieces. Each album is so different from the other and totally amazing.

Then after CTS Mastodon just became...ordinary...so damn ordinary...never liked them much after that.

Looking forward to them regaining their mojo.

I liked Once More almost as much as Leviathan and Crack rhe Skye.

I think this one is going to kick ass.

I don't think they've released a bad album. But the last few haven't impressed me. I'm OK with that, the four albums that please me are four of the best records I have ever heard in my life.

• Like 2

Bored.

Gonna rate my favourite Paradise Lost albums to pass time:

Lost Paradise (6/10)

Gothic (7/10)

Shades Of God (8/10)

Icon (8/10)

Draconian Times (9/10)

One Second (8/10)

Host (9/10)

Believe I'm Nothing (9/10)

Symbol Of Life (9/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us (10/10)

Tragic Idol (9/10)

The Plague Within (7/10)

Yeah. Me loves them.

• Like 1

Bored.

Lost Paradise (6/10)

Gothic (7/10)

Shades Of God (8/10)

Icon (8/10)

Draconian Times (9/10)

One Second (8/10)

Host (9/10)

Symbol Of Life (9/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Tragic Idol (9/10)

The Plague Within (7/10)

Yeah. Me loves them.

that band for me starts at one Second

One Second (7/10)

Host (10/10)

Believe I'm Nothing (8/10)

Symbol Of Life (7/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Tragic Idol (8/10)

The Plague Within (5/10)

Mick

Bored.

Lost Paradise (6/10)

Gothic (7/10)

Shades Of God (8/10)

Icon (8/10)

Draconian Times (9/10)

One Second (8/10)

Host (9/10)

Symbol Of Life (9/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Tragic Idol (9/10)

The Plague Within (7/10)

Yeah. Me loves them.

One Second (7/10)

Host (10/10)

Symbol Of Life (7/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Tragic Idol (8/10)

The Plague Within (5/10)

Mick

I think you might be right about Plague.

5/10 is about right...

Symbol Of Life has really been blowing me away lately. Pray Nightfall, Mystify and Isolate have really connected with me.

Biggest surprise for me has been the self-titled. Never been hooked on that one before. Never had a reason to feel this way. Now?

It's likely my favourite.

Bored.

Lost Paradise (6/10)

Gothic (7/10)

Shades Of God (8/10)

Icon (8/10)

Draconian Times (9/10)

One Second (8/10)

Host (9/10)

Symbol Of Life (9/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Tragic Idol (9/10)

The Plague Within (7/10)

Yeah. Me loves them.

One Second (7/10)

Host (10/10)

Symbol Of Life (7/10)

Paradise Lost (10/10)

In Requiem (10/10)

Tragic Idol (8/10)

The Plague Within (5/10)

Mick

I think you might be right about Plague.

5/10 is about right...

Symbol Of Life has really been blowing me away lately. Pray Nightfall, Mystify and Isolate have really connected with me.

Biggest surprise for me has been the self-titled. Never been hooked on that one before. Never had a reason to feel this way. Now?

It's likely my favourite.

the Self titled is a transition album. that i too tossed aside. but it just clicks with me now for some reason.

this is a great band that i need to revisit sometime.

Mick

I've been playin more Kansas recently.

I enjoy them more with every revisit. But

..not sure why...I love Drastic Measures but after that I lose all interest.

I tried the latest again and it's well played and all that but...if I want a seventies sounding Kansas album I want a seventies Kansas album. It just feels like they followed the rule book to pull off a "great album".

It just doesn't impress me. And I was hyped for it.