The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Ah well you tried.

I just love it cause for me.......they strayed so far in the 80's and to me....not for the better.......that the new record was so welcome to me.

oh i still love it.

Mick

I love Drastic Measures for being fun, silly AOR.

I don't love it for being great Kansas haha!

But agreed.

• Like 1

Ah well you tried.

I just love it cause for me.......they strayed so far in the 80's and to me....not for the better.......that the new record was so welcome to me.

oh i still love it.

Mick

I love Drastic Measures for being fun, silly AOR.

I don't love it for being great Kansas haha!

But agreed.

Kansas is an intersting band in that they hit the absolute highest of high and the absolute lowest of lows, lol

I don't know why i don't enjoy 80's Kansas. they went full AOR, lol.

it just doesn't fit on them for me i guess.

Mick

I liked Once More almost as much as Leviathan and Crack rhe Skye.

I think this one is going to kick ass.

I don't think they've released a bad album. But the last few haven't impressed me. I'm OK with that, the four albums that please me are four of the best records I have ever heard in my life.

In hindsight, I can name more songs off The Hunter I've enjoyed than songs I've enjoyed off Once More Round The Sun. If it wasn't for the new track, I would've been one of those "Go back to Crack The Skye/Blood Mountain era" fans. It's funny cause while I've thought Mastodon were trending downwards in likability for me, Baroness (another Georgia band) simultaneously have gone the opposite direction for me thanks to Purple. Edited by PolarizeMe

I don't think they've released a bad album. But the last few haven't impressed me. I'm OK with that, the four albums that please me are four of the best records I have ever heard in my life.

In hindsight, I can name more songs off The Hunter I've enjoyed than songs I've enjoyed off Once More Round The Sun. If it wasn't for the new track, I would've been one of those "Go back to Crack The Skye/Blood Mountain era" fans. It's funny cause while I've thought Mastodon were trending downwards in likability for me, Baroness (another Georgia band) simultaneously have gone the opposite direction for me thanks to Purple.

Baroness released Red and pretty much continued where my interest in Mastodon left off.

Odd you compare them as both bands I love equally, if I close of Mastodon with CTS.

I need to get all the Baroness albums. I adore them.

In hindsight, I can name more songs off The Hunter I've enjoyed than songs I've enjoyed off Once More Round The Sun. If it wasn't for the new track, I would've been one of those "Go back to Crack The Skye/Blood Mountain era" fans. It's funny cause while I've thought Mastodon were trending downwards in likability for me, Baroness (another Georgia band) simultaneously have gone the opposite direction for me thanks to Purple.

Baroness released Red and pretty much continued where my interest in Mastodon left off.

Odd you compare them as both bands I love equally, if I close of Mastodon with CTS.

It's easy for me to compare the two because they're both from Georgia, attract what I call the "Decibel" crowd (cause both bands are loved by Decibel Magazine), are (unsurprisingly) friends, and toured with one another on multiple occasions. If you get me to talk Baroness, Red Album I can't remember as well for some reason. Blue Record is awesome, and with Yellow and Green I thought the Yellow half was just as good as the previous two albums but the Green half is when it gets patchy...but Purple is just fantastic (I'm actually in the middle of listening to it right now!).

Both Baroness and Mastodon are part of my "Big Three of Georgia Metal" the other band being Harvey Milk, a much more underground and cult favorite band.

It's easy for me to compare the two because they're both from Georgia, attract what I call the "Decibel" crowd (cause both bands are loved by Decibel Magazine), are (unsurprisingly) friends, and toured with one another on multiple occasions. If you get me to talk Baroness, Red Album I can't remember as well for some reason. Blue Record is awesome, and with Yellow and Green I thought the Yellow half was just as good as the previous two albums but the Green half is when it gets patchy...but Purple is just fantastic (I'm actually in the middle of listening to it right now!).

Both Baroness and Mastodon are part of my "Big Three of Georgia Metal" the other band being Harvey Milk, a much more underground and cult favorite band.

I remember Decibel magazine around 2006 gave Lacuna Coils Karmacode an amazing review and had them as cover stars. Loved that magazine...but then it stopped selling where I live. I use the Internet from time to time to catch up with it.

Another magazine I quite like is Terrorizer. An extreme metal magazine that also loves Paradise Lost and Lacuna Coil?

Bae.

Hey hey...I just got tickets to see Opeth,guys!!! The last time I saw them was in 2006 in Perth, when Ghost Reveries had just come out. April09th in São Paulo!

Awesome! I saw them on tour with Arch Enemy I think in 2007/08 supporting Watershed.

Hey hey...I just got tickets to see Opeth,guys!!! The last time I saw them was in 2006 in Perth, when Ghost Reveries had just come out. April09th in São Paulo!

Awesome! I saw them on tour with Arch Enemy I think in 2007/08 supporting Watershed.

Wow...great bill!!!

Wow...great bill!!!

It was! Also there was 3 inches of blood and another band...I think...or just them three.

Was fantastic!

Winter time and gothic metal make great listening.

Lacuna Coil, The Gathering, Paradise Lost...these three bands...with the cold outside and my mind working way too hard to chill out...all combine to once again create a certain relaxing atmosphere only this music can provide.

I need to throw in some HIM, Sonata Arctica, Leaves Eyes and Within Temptation and then we basically have...my 2006...

I love The Bends.

it's ok, lol.

the songs from it work and sound better live for me.

Mick

I can believe that. The production is a bit flat.

I love The Bends.

it's ok, lol.

Mick

every one goes nuts over that album. i'm just like it's pleasant

To me Kid A is what hooked me after a turd debut and 2 good rock albums.

Mick

• Like 1

I love The Bends.

it's ok, lol.

Mick

every one goes nuts over that album. i'm just like it's pleasant

To me Kid A is what hooked me after a turd debut and 2 good rock albums.

Mick

Let's wait and see...

Playing Khoma and loving them again today made me want more of this vocal style.

Muse are too flamboyant.

The Bends does sound special. The songs are magic.

• Like 1

These are my top ten bands now:

Top six (no real number one anymore):

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

HIM

Within Temptation

Paradise Lost

Sonata Arctica

Then:

Idlewild

The Juliana Theory

Jimmy Eat World

Thrice

Not counting Springsteen. He feels separate to this list somehow...

While it was sort of pricey, I'm really glad I got the 10th anniversary edition of The Great Cold Distance since I've never owned a copy of the original. I've had a few days to sit through all the content and now the album's catapulting into my top tier of Katatonia albums. I think the 10th anniversary edition's main selling point is the 2nd disc of all the B-sides from the long deleted My Twin, Deliberation and July singles finally getting a proper release, and the live disc featuring the album performed live in full with the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra from September of last year. I can't stress enough how good those B-sides are, especially Dissolving Bonds and Unfurl. I think Katatonia's the only band I know of that can do no wrong when it comes to B-sides. And that Live in Bulgaria CD is just awesome to listen to. The orchestra adds some cool dynamics and texture to the songs. Those tracks that were lukewarm to me initially translated better live with the orchestra. The album closer Journey Through Pressure especially wow'd me on the live album.

On a different note, during my search for finding some movies to borrow at the library yesterday, I found Delirium circulating in the rock and metal section and while I've probably heard Karmacode a few times, I never really got Lacuna Coil other than that album, and if I never associated them with being Segue's favorite band, I might've forgotten about them for who knows how long. I figured that since no one ever borrowed it (probably not) and I'm an open minded person, I'd give them a more serious try. Ended up finding the most recent Kate Bush album also and borrowed that too. IDK what to expect, but that's the fun part.

I love The Bends.

Same.

For me OK Computer gets old sometimes, I'm often not in the mood for Kid A, AMSP is rather long and can fade into the background too easily, and In Rainbows is a bit too minimalistic (not as much as KoL though). The Bends is something I can always put on, it's like comfort food.

That said I have no clue what my favorite out of those five is.

This year has blown up into something promising.

Not sure how it happened but I've fallen in love with three current bands, all on the rise, and British:

Mallory Knox

As Lions

Young Guns

My days I am so happy again with new music!

I don't even care if they are generic or not.

While it was sort of pricey, I'm really glad I got the 10th anniversary edition of The Great Cold Distance since I've never owned a copy of the original. I've had a few days to sit through all the content and now the album's catapulting into my top tier of Katatonia albums. I think the 10th anniversary edition's main selling point is the 2nd disc of all the B-sides from the long deleted My Twin, Deliberation and July singles finally getting a proper release, and the live disc featuring the album performed live in full with the Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra from September of last year. I can't stress enough how good those B-sides are, especially Dissolving Bonds and Unfurl. I think Katatonia's the only band I know of that can do no wrong when it comes to B-sides. And that Live in Bulgaria CD is just awesome to listen to. The orchestra adds some cool dynamics and texture to the songs. Those tracks that were lukewarm to me initially translated better live with the orchestra. The album closer Journey Through Pressure especially wow'd me on the live album.

On a different note, during my search for finding some movies to borrow at the library yesterday, I found Delirium circulating in the rock and metal section and while I've probably heard Karmacode a few times, I never really got Lacuna Coil other than that album, and if I never associated them with being Segue's favorite band, I might've forgotten about them for who knows how long. I figured that since no one ever borrowed it (probably not) and I'm an open minded person, I'd give them a more serious try. Ended up finding the most recent Kate Bush album also and borrowed that too. IDK what to expect, but that's the fun part.

Awesome! Because of you I'm still gradually falling in love with Katatonia.

Glad you gave LC a try! I'm rationally in love with them now. No longer the fanboy I was. Which I'm ok with!

Awesome! Because of you I'm still gradually falling in love with Katatonia.

Glad you gave LC a try! I'm rationally in love with them now. No longer the fanboy I was. Which I'm ok with!

While it's not necessarily the kind of metal I listen to, there's plenty of things that LC does which I really like (namely Christina Scabbia's vocals), but IDK if it just fell prey on Delirium but I think the male vocalist is the weakest link in the album IMO...his screaming/growls I didn't have a problem with though I didn't expect to hear screaming male vocals to start off the album, it's when he sings his cleans that for some reason rubs me in an indifferent way. Overall though, for what it's worth, plenty of good stuff on it, and it's something I'm gonna revisit again soon.

Edited by PolarizeMe

I've been listening to a lot of Cult of Luna this week, which is funny because while I sincerely thought their newest album Mariner (a collab with American post-metal vocalist Julie Christmas) was one of the best metal albums last year, for some reason I could never seriously got into them like Isis and Neurosis, so they never really took off for me.I resurrected their older albums from my iTunes this week for the first time in 2 years in hopes that they'll click with me this time and get regular playtime. I've must've tried two previous times to seriously get into this band, and finally the third time's the charm and I've done it. Couldn't come at a better time too cause they've announced they're coming to America in August to play Mariner live in its entirety. I'm kicking myself for not appreciating seeing this band live when they co-headlined w/Katatonia in 2013 but better late than never!

Also, this local band (I say local loosely cause up until recently, he lived in NJ) has possibly become my favorite "new" band of 2017: