Best music of the '90s

Rutlefan

I saw AC/DC on the For Those About to Rock tour in high school (at the Cap Center Narpski) and the next day I could barely understand the teachers as my ears were still ringing. I've been to a lot of concerts, most loud-ish, incl Van Halen around the same time, but that was the only one that had me worried.

Not big on the 90's music. Shoegaze isn't my thing. I don't like Nirvana one bit, but I love the Foo Fighters. I think Dave transitioned away from the grungy noise into cleaner sounding hard rock, and as such the Foos have gotten progressively better over the years, with their best album, Wasting Light, back in 2011.

Pearl Jam's first 3 albums are great.

The 90's brought out a huge revival in the blues, from Buddy Guy, who I consider one of my greatest idols, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd (the guy who wrote Blue on Black).

Then of course, I enjoy Counterparts and most of Test For Echo.

I was a big fan of the grunge moment, before it became ubiquitous. For me grunge was about a return to a more organic sound, as the late 80's had really sunk into what I consider one of the worst-sounding periods of music ever. Noise gate snares, overly boomy toms, and some of the worst synth sounds ever imagined. When grunge hit I was excited to see a bunch of long-haired bands playing with guitars and drums that sounded like they grew up on the rock music I grew up on, but also with a punk sensibility that was familiar. Then, yeah, it really exploded, and like anything that makes money people start copying the elements that made money, and soon the idea of genre is constrictive. But the first time I heard Nevermind playing in a record store, a full year before it broke big, and asked the clerk "What is this?" only to buy it sight unseen on his recommendation--that was a pretty awesome moment. :)

Excellent post!
  • Like 1

I was a big fan of the grunge moment, before it became ubiquitous. For me grunge was about a return to a more organic sound, as the late 80's had really sunk into what I consider one of the worst-sounding periods of music ever. Noise gate snares, overly boomy toms, and some of the worst synth sounds ever imagined. When grunge hit I was excited to see a bunch of long-haired bands playing with guitars and drums that sounded like they grew up on the rock music I grew up on, but also with a punk sensibility that was familiar. Then, yeah, it really exploded, and like anything that makes money people start copying the elements that made money, and soon the idea of genre is constrictive. But the first time I heard Nevermind playing in a record store, a full year before it broke big, and asked the clerk "What is this?" only to buy it sight unseen on his recommendation--that was a pretty awesome moment. :)

Excellent post!

Thank you! :D

My Top Five bands of the 90s:

Type O Negative (Peter Steele was a genius! "Bloody Kisses" is a timeless masterpiece)

Tiamat ("Wildhoney": where metal first met Floyd)

Monster Magnet (Hawkwind Y2K and more)

The Gathering (Anneke, I still love you!)

Cathedral (Doom!)

We have a lot in common. Every one of these bands!

Although I would swap Tiamat for Paradise Lost if I was too keep this at five!

I liked Paradise Lost until 1995 (Draconian Times) then I was shocked by their turn and when I had tried to approach them again the spark was gone

While the roots of it go back pretty far, I loved a lot of the cowpunk bands that hit their stride in the 90s ... Dash Rip Rock, Supersuckers, Jason And The Scorchers, Rev Horton Heat - and bands like Social Distortion who began to incorporate country into their music ..

Mike Ness really came into his own during that time - I love the guy

The first half of the 90's was a great time for music, just as good as anything that came before it...

Yup. Up until about 95 or so, it was great, with creative, unique bands. I consider that era to be the last gasp for Rock music, as far as mainstream coolness.

• Like 1

The first half of the 90's was a great time for music, just as good as anything that came before it...

Yup. Up until about 95 or so, it was great, with creative, unique bands. I consider that era to be the last gasp for Rock music, as far as mainstream coolness.

Yes (1990/1995)

Looking back on that early 90s period, rock and rap were very much hanging out together and both popular. It's funny how rap just took over the mainstream in the coming years.

Stone Temple Pilots

Foo Fighters

Kyuss

Marilyn Manson

Robert Plant's music

Black Crows

Candlebox

Deftones

Down

... there are more but can't remember.

Edited by custom55

Beck, The Smashing Pumpkins

Need I Say More?

I was really into hip hop in the 90s...early on it gangsta rap and Wu-Tang, later Outkast and some underground shit. Also got in to a lot of trip hop type stuff during that period...early Bjork, Portishead, Massive Attack. I was into punk and metal then too, but not a lot of rock from the 90s (except for Built to Spill and Danzig, who I still love). I was in high school when nu metal really hit and I was the odd one out of my group of friends still listening to 80s thrash and NWA. Edited by Stormtron

Watched "Montage of Heck" last night. Whatever else he might or might not have been, Kurt sure had a way of sneaking catchy hooks into what otherwise might have sounded sound like atonal dirge rock (thinking mainly of the pre-Nevermind material).

Reminded me too of how amazing is Nevermind. It's kind of like Moving Pictures, Dark Side of the Moon or LZ IV for me; it's just so good that at one time I barely gave it a rest and now I rarely find myself listening to it because the nostalgia is too intense (or something like that). At any rate, the whole album is great, but it's just ridiculous how great are the opening three tracks of each side, esp for me, Drain You and Lounge Act.

I dont like much of the Brit pop genre but there is a band I love from that era. Supergrass. They are bloody brilliant.

Very very underated band, Mr coombes is a great songwriter, i should coco, and in it for the money are class.

• Like 1

Pavement is good stuff..

What about the voice of Geddy Lee

How did it get so high?

I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?

(I know him and he does!)