Maybe it takes repeated listens to learn to love 'Presto'

Rush Fan in Michigan

I enjoy Presto, almost all of it. The only songs I skip are The Pass and Anagram. All 3 of them play very well and energetically on this album. And Rupert did and excellent job mixing the sounds he was given.

That being said, it's the thinnest sounding album of the entire catalog, and that is the band's fault. Lerxst was entrenched in Signature guitars going through solid state Gallien Kruger amps. Geddy was going direct with the Wal basses which had no balls, no amps involved. Neil had changed some tom sizes and brought a tightness and lack of bottom end to his kit. None of this was Rupert's doing.

Whoever mastered it helped the jazzy thin sound stand out by compressing the whole thing a bit and making it even 'sparklier' if you know what I mean..........

• Like 1

If they do one more album.....i want them to get Terry Brown you may say it's them going backward. I don't care. He knew how to make them sound perfect. Sure Signals is debatable but still.....bring him back.

This! Except the Signals remark. ;)

Aw, Presto really is the redheaded stepchild of the Rush catalogue, LOL.

My first Rush show was the Presto tour. Giant bunny rabbits and all. Loved it. Still dig the album, it's underrated. And all the dislike for Superconductor, I don't get. It's a great riff from Alex. Good arena song.

• Like 1

If they do one more album.....i want them to get Terry Brown you may say it's them going backward. I don't care. He knew how to make them sound perfect. Sure Signals is debatable but still.....bring him back.

This! Except the Signals remark. ;)

I enjoy Signals sound. but some don't so it is a debatable point i guess. Signals sounds awesome though.

Mick

I enjoy Presto, almost all of it. The only songs I skip are The Pass and Anagram. All 3 of them play very well and energetically on this album. And Rupert did and excellent job mixing the sounds he was given.

That being said, it's the thinnest sounding album of the entire catalog, and that is the band's fault. Lerxst was entrenched in Signature guitars going through solid state Gallien Kruger amps. Geddy was going direct with the Wal basses which had no balls, no amps involved. Neil had changed some tom sizes and brought a tightness and lack of bottom end to his kit. None of this was Rupert's doing.

Whoever mastered it helped the jazzy thin sound stand out by compressing the whole thing a bit and making it even 'sparklier' if you know what I mean..........

To a non guitar player, it sounds like you are saying an awesome hard rock band from the 70s stopped liking hard rock?

Presto should have been a monster, the songs are strong, but it sounds tinny and thin. But at least we can hear Alex, unlike some albums of that era.

Broon challenged them, produced crisp hard rock albums that highlighted Rush's strengths as a power rock trio. They struggled post Broon to recapture that crisp hard rock sound since he was fired.

Ya it takes multiple listens to hear the Bass.. Which is the key to liking Presto! Especially "Show Don't Tell". wicked bass lines in the music break around 3- 3 1/2 minutes into the song.

And I'll always love the drums in scars.!

Effin Rupert Hine...he effed it up. The music could have been so much more enjoyable--like Clockwork Angels

thank heaven it's not like CA.....I'd need 5 Tylenol for one listen.

Mick

OMG no kidding. Sometimes I can listen to it until the singing starts. :LOL:

So much of Rush's music could have been stripped down actually. I like to hear the every bass note and drum beat shaking my soul and nice clean guitar floating all around me and nothing more. That's why I love bands like Iron Maiden, UFO and Thin Lizzy!

Yep. That is what strikes me so much every time I listen to a certain live recording. Powerful guitar, bass and drums and I can hear every note from each clear as a bell...

.. And hopefully no one needs to ask which record that is ;)

• Like 1

I still think CA Sounds good. CA Live on the other hand....

Overdone...

Still a step in the right direction from SnA I believe.. Pray for another album (with Neil's new kit!)

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

Didn't happen. Still sounds tinny, and too many of the songs sound like Your Lite Rock Favorites ™. It's hard to believe the same guys who wrote Hemispheres and Permanent Waves put together such a desultory, gray listening experience.

Presto is still better than anything by Crötley Mu, KISS, Poison, Ratt, Anthrax, Duran Duran, The Police, Genesis, Bryan Adams...

Anthrax is great!! They're thrash metal pioneers. How the hell did you end up clumping them in with the rest of those bands?

Ya it takes multiple listens to hear the Bass.. Which is the key to liking Presto! Especially "Show Don't Tell". wicked bass lines in the music break around 3- 3 1/2 minutes into the song.

And I'll always love the drums in scars.!

Effin Rupert Hine...he effed it up. The music could have been so much more enjoyable--like Clockwork Angels

thank heaven it's not like CA.....I'd need 5 Tylenol for one listen.

CA is their best work. It would sound awesome coming out of a toilet bowl, with 5 tons of rat turds going down the pipes

Good one! :laughing guy:

Wait...you're serious?

:sigh:

• Like 2

After getting bigger and bigger with the overall sound with Power Windows(yes!) and HYF(not so much!)and Show of Hands i was happy that they stripped things back a bit with Presto.I was worried that they were thinking of adding a keyboard player at this time(Andy Richards?).I thought they were losing the vision of trio format.The keyboards were back a bit and there seemed to be a bit more urgency to the music.Yes Alex's guitars were thin thanks to the gear he was using.Geddy had a Spinal Tap moment when he commented in a music mag that his black Wal bass was more darker/reflective than his red one.The colour really made a difference!Get back to the Fender or Ricky.Yes the album could have been heavier,a bit too poppy here and there,but a step in the right direction.The title track is one of my faves.
  • Like 1

Didn't happen. Still sounds tinny, and too many of the songs sound like Your Lite Rock Favorites ™. It's hard to believe the same guys who wrote Hemispheres and Permanent Waves put together such a desultory, gray listening experience.

Presto is still better than anything by Crötley Mu, KISS, Poison, Ratt, Anthrax, Duran Duran, The Police, Genesis, Bryan Adams...

Ummmm no I like a few songs on Presto but it is a pedestrian album at best.

I'm assuming your post was made to get attention but I'll play along

I only need one song that's better than anything on Presto.

http://vimeo.com/62530159

• Like 1

Overdone...

Stick a fork in me.... :LOL:

What the fork? :wtf:

The fork? What?

Overdone...

Stick a fork in me.... :LOL:

What the fork? :wtf:

The fork? What?

What? The fork?

Wait, there's a fork in the road.. And I dont kno which way I'm gonna turn.. Lol sorry. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:
  • Like 1

Ummmm no I like a few songs on Presto but it is a pedestrian album at best.

I'm assuming your post was made to get attention but I'll play along

I only need one song that's better than anything on Presto.

http://vimeo.com/62530159

WE HAVE TO SHOUT ABOVE...THE DIN OF OUR RICE KRISPIES!!!!! :dweez:

I like Presto...but it doesn't rate against an album like Synchronicity.

• Like 1

For about a month my truck was looping the Presto cd whenever I was in it. I eventually changed it out.

I like it, and got to do some soul searching mountain road driving to it.

• Like 1