2112 vs Moving Pictures vs Clockwork Angels

YYZumbi

67 members have voted

1. 1. 2112 vs Moving Pictures vs Clockwork Angels

Gotta go with Moving Pictures; I feel Tom Sawyer got overexposed but geez, Limelight, YYZ especially, Red Barchetta. . . . . love the way it falls together!
  • Like 1

Moving Pictures>>>2112>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Clockwork Angels

This…hurts. I am an avid Clockwork Angels fan, but I have to say Moving Pictures. It's just so hard to compare anything to MP. CA is fantastic, but it falls a bit short. 2112 is amazing as well—love the title track, and side two is solid. It just feels like it's…missing something.

Is 2112 missing soft-pop synths?

No. I love 2112 to bits, but it sounds kind of hollow sometimes. And The Twilight Zone doesn't really do it for me. :huh:

MP > CA > 2112

All are pretty damn good. 2112 suffers from Twilight Zone, though.

2112 is for the most part, great. Twilight Zone really kills it for me, though. I used to hate Lessons but it's growing on me. Title track and Something For Nothing are among their best work. If 2112 got rid of Twilight Zone, or at least got rid of those irritating whisper vocals, it would be a MUCH closer competition.

Jiminy Crow, all this bashing of the Twilight Zone. Tsk, tsk you guys need some of this :smash: . How can one not simply love the kitchy eeriness that this song involves plus the grooviness and the perfection. I'll never understand it :eyeroll:.

Me either. Gonna read back and I better not see an Lessons bashing... :rage:
  • Like 1

2112 is the most over-rated record in the Rush catalog. C'mon people. Tears, Lessons, Twilight Zone? Half a record doesn't deserve to be among Rush's best. Even the first side has its flaws. It was one of their most IMPORTANT records at the time, but hardly one of their best.

MP

CA

star wars vs empire strikes back vs howard the duck

Got a good chuckle out of this and yes, it sums it up for me. 2112 gets my vote, by a hair, over MP. CA is not bad actually but compared to the other 2 yes, it s howard the duck. Not in their class. BTW - thanks for the laugh.

CA cemented my fandom, but MP is by far the most perfect album the band ever recorded, so MP gets my vote.

2112 is the most over-rated record in the Rush catalog. C'mon people. Tears, Lessons, Twilight Zone? Half a record doesn't deserve to be among Rush's best. Even the first side has its flaws. It was one of their most IMPORTANT records at the time, but hardly one of their best.

MP

CA

I actually prefer side b of 2112 to both sides of Hems.

2112: 10.0

A Passage to Bangkok: 9.8

The Twilight Zone: 6.7

Lessons: 9.0

Tears: 9.0

Something for Nothing: 9.5

• OVERALL: 9.0 •

MOVING PICTURES

Tom Sawyer: 9.5

Red Barchetta: 10.0

YYZ: 10.0

Limelight: 10.0

The Camera Eye: 10.0

Witch Hunt (Part III of "Fear"): 10.0

Vital Signs: 10.0

• OVERALL: 9.9 •

CLOCKWORK ANGELS

Caravan: 10.0

BU2B: 9.5

Clockwork Angels: 10.0

The Anarchist: 9.2

Carnies: 9.6

Halo Effect: 9.0

Seven Cities of Gold: 8.9

The Wreckers: 9.7

Headlong Flight: 10.0

BU2B2: 9.0

Wish Them Well: 9.1

The Garden: 9.9

• OVERALL: 9.5 •

All three are excellent, but Moving Pictures is the most so.