Jacob's Ladder

Lorraine

If you ever have the chance to listen to it loudly during a summer thunderstorm it will make an impression. :)

You don't need the thunderstorm - just turn it up loud and close your eyes.

Yeah that was corny.

• Like 2

Now, to the thread topic!

I absolutely love Jacob's Ladder. Whether just listening to it, playing along with it, or especially driving. It is a magnificent driving song, especially if you find yourself headed into a thunder storm. It creates an atmospheric mood perhaps better than any other Rush song (and that is saying something.) I would be very surprised, and very disappointed, if they didn't bring this one out for this tour. Apparently they planned to play it on the S&Z tour, but it got left off at the last minute. Maybe someone knows more about this?

It makes sense just for giving Lee a bit of a break. No deadly high notes, not a lot of singing at all, really.

Definitely not a tough one for him to sing. It would even be cool if he used a bit of auto-tune during the interlude section when he sings along with the keyboards.

Or maybe not.

:LOL:

Vocoder is acceptable

It always sounds out of place on Permanent Waves to me. As if it was put on the album as a reminder and a farewell to what they were in the seventies.

No no no no no! Side 1 of Permanent Waves is Perfect. Side two is all mucked up with Different Strings. While a nice ditty it is the odd man out on that record.

And yes... Permanent Waves is a record.

It always sounds out of place on Permanent Waves to me. As if it was put on the album as a reminder and a farewell to what they were in the seventies.

It is definitely more like something that would have appeared on AFTK or Hemispheres. But I think you could say the same for Natural Science, as well. PeW was a transition album for sure.

It was a distinct move away from extra high vocals after not realizing the music for Hemispheres was in keys too high for him to sing during the recording process.

I think Jacob's Ladder is a favorite song of people who like to count when they play.

Those who can count past 4.

Jacob's Ladder is such a high point from a songwriting, arrangement and musical execution that if you don't get it you can't. The alternating 7/8-6/8 guitar part that Alex plays is one of the (if not THE) best executions of raindrops in music of all time. There is so much going on under the hood in this song from the top to the out. This song could not be on any other album. IF you think otherwise then you don't understand the history of Rush in the slightest, especially from a musical standpoint. Without Permanent Waves there is no Moving Pictures. Without Hemispheres there is no Permanent Waves. Hemispheres is a continuation of AFTK. Literally. It all started with The Fountain.

I know a lot of people wanna see this live, not me. It's slow and plodding and I think would be a big life drain on a live show

I don't know. I suspect the crowd would go bugfuck.

Diehards would, but the bulk of the audience would be :eh:

Let 'em. If they play Jacob's Ladder live and I get to witness one play of it myself I can die a happy man. I have wanted to hear this song in particular live since I first heard it. Closest I've got is ESL. Said the same thing about Science until they decided to play it to death and mess with arrangement.

I don´t see the big thing with this song... to me Natural Science is ten times better.

This coming from the guy who wants Rush to play every shitty song they ever did on the next next.

This isn't a "Jacobs Ladder vs. Natural Science" thread, Numbi. This is a thread about Jacob's Ladder. Normally you don't have any problems praising and Rush song. Are you just choosing to be a dink here?

Fuuck you, ok? I don´t want Rush to play every song they have made. Just please leave this forum, it would be a lot better place whitout you....

"Leave the forum?" "It would be a better place without you?"

Grow some thicker skin. Seriously.

Yes, Sheldon gives you a hard time around here, that much is obvious (even if you make it easy), and I don't really like the dickery. If people were nice to you, yes that would be better. You would have my sympathy on that. But personal attacks don't make you any better.

But I suppose you don't care when you think "90% of the f***ing forum is a jerk".

I agree. I've had problems with other members of this site (cough)Tony R, Turbine Freight (cough) but I don't mean any ill will or want them to leave the forum. They have just as much of a right to be here as I do.

Edited by fraroc

In the spirit of transparency, PeW is far and away my favorite album. I quite enjoy every song on it and I actually think each song on the album is unique its own way, yet the album flows. Still, Jacob's Ladder stands out for a lot of reasons mentioned in the thread.

That said, I can't listen to the song anymore without thinking about a very long extended stay in the hospital. A couple of years ago I had a major surgery that had some pretty awful complications. I developed a brutal infection and the doctors were having some pretty serious conversations with my loved ones about how things could go south really quickly without some less-than-pleasant action. Long story short, in order to deal with the infection, they had to reopen the incision (27" vertical up my abdomen) and put me on a wound vac and let it heal openly and naturally. No staples, no stitches, just time.

Obviously, I survived it (and am very thankful to the great medical staff at the University of Texas Health Science Center). But it wasn't fun, especially the first night. They put me on some extremely high level pain killers that they warned me could cause hallucination. Anyway, to try to relax and sleep that night, I put on some headphones and my favorite Rush album. By the time I got to Jacob's Ladder, the hallucinations took effect.... I am convinced the song was part of the trigger.... it was bizarre.... I ended up pulling the earphones off and I am pretty sure I threw them into the hall.... but every time I hear that song now, I can't help but think I am being watched by a dragon!

In the spirit of transparency, PeW is far and away my favorite album. I quite enjoy every song on it and I actually think each song on the album is unique its own way, yet the album flows. Still, Jacob's Ladder stands out for a lot of reasons mentioned in the thread.

That said, I can't listen to the song anymore without thinking about a very long extended stay in the hospital. A couple of years ago I had a major surgery that had some pretty awful complications. I developed a brutal infection and the doctors were having some pretty serious conversations with my loved ones about how things could go south really quickly without some less-than-pleasant action. Long story short, in order to deal with the infection, they had to reopen the incision (27" vertical up my abdomen) and put me on a wound vac and let it heal openly and naturally. No staples, no stitches, just time.

Obviously, I survived it (and am very thankful to the great medical staff at the University of Texas Health Science Center). But it wasn't fun, especially the first night. They put me on some extremely high level pain killers that they warned me could cause hallucination. Anyway, to try to relax and sleep that night, I put on some headphones and my favorite Rush album. By the time I got to Jacob's Ladder, the hallucinations took effect.... I am convinced the song was part of the trigger.... it was bizarre.... I ended up pulling the earphones off and I am pretty sure I threw them into the hall.... but every time I hear that song now, I can't help but think I am being watched by a dragon!

That sounds like a brutal experience - maybe not something you want to relive, even in words. Normally I would say that it's cool if a song can evoke a strong response in the imagination, but you'd probably rather it didn't! Glad you pulled through.

When I first seriously got into Rush as an early teenager I loved Jacob's Ladder. But along with Witch Hunt it's a song that just doesn't grab me the way it once did. I actually think Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science are both overrated. Natural Science is quite impressive live. I like watching it on the concert DVDs, but that's mostly due to how I marvel at their musicianship. I mean, I would never deny that Natural Science is masterful where technique and dexterity are concerned. But both songs tend to strike me as a bit regimented and aloof. Edited by Powderfinger

Jacob's Ladder definitely tops Natural Science imo. Caress of Steel, my favorite Rush tribute band, always does a fantastic job when they play it. That song is one of the reasons why I look forward to seeing them.

The tone that drips off Lifeson's guitar solo is thick as honey. This, Limelight, and La Villa are his best solo guitar tones for me. Everything about this song is perfect. Part of me wants to hear it live and part of me wants it preserved in the early 80's.

I do agree with this. A Farewell to Kings, the whole album, had great tone too. His best period. I've been contemplating his tone quite a bit lately, and thinking of starting a thread about his tone. Appreciate this post.

I don´t see the big thing with this song... to me Natural Science is ten times better.

This coming from the guy who wants Rush to play every shitty song they ever did on the next next.

This isn't a "Jacobs Ladder vs. Natural Science" thread, Numbi. This is a thread about Jacob's Ladder. Normally you don't have any problems praising and Rush song. Are you just choosing to be a dink here?

Fuuck you, ok? I don´t want Rush to play every song they have made. Just please leave this forum, it would be a lot better place whitout you....

Zumbi, Sheldon was a tad rough on you there, but your response was worse.

who reported who?

A third party reported it.

JARG? :D

I know a lot of people wanna see this live, not me. It's slow and plodding and I think would be a big life drain on a live show

I don't know. I suspect the crowd would go bugfuck.

Diehards would, but the bulk of the audience would be :eh:

first 5 or 6 rows would go wild, everyone else would go piss or get beer. but that can be said about all songs except tom sawyer, limelight and TSOR, so I say they should play it anyway.

It's really a shame if people nowadays has so little attention span that they wouldn't be able to appreciate JL, even when it's not so fast paced and "jammy". A variation in mood and tempo wouldn't hurt their live shows.

And by people I mean generally, not you too ;)

I love Jacobs Ladder, maybe even more so than Natural Science. I've always had a problem with the transitions in Natural Science, maybe because I'm a musician and I feel it lacks a natural flow between the parts.

But two great songs nonetheless.

• Like 1

I think most of Rush's audience would appreciate it live. Now playing Losing It might cause people to go piss but not me, I wear an adult diaper to Rush concerts. I t'aint missing a note of music.

It's really a shame if people nowadays has so little attention span that they wouldn't be able to appreciate JL, even when it's not so fast paced and "jammy". A variation in mood and tempo wouldn't hurt their live shows.

I agree about people's attention span, but also altering arrangement for setlist time. Jammy gives the impression of a band like the Greatful Dead whose songs tend to meander and have no real point. Every note in Jacob's Ladder is deliberate and intentional. :)

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 3

Yes, Sheldon gives you a hard time around here, that much is obvious (even if you make it easy). But personal attacks don't make you any better.

Sheldon hasn't bothered Zumbi in a long, long time.

And what do you know about that?

Zumbi, Sheldon was a tad rough on you there, but your response was worse.

I don´t care. Hes been a idiot and been making fun of me ever since I started to write on this forum. And I am damn tired on that, so either you ban him or I will continue to say what I think!