Rush Albums You Never Listen To

Lorraine

68 members have voted

1. 1. What Rush album(s) do you never listen to?

Caress the Eel, Roll the Boner and Hold Your Nose.

I actually use Feedback to warmup on some simple songs on guitar.

:unsure: If you are Spaghetti, post one of your famous cards! :cool:

ok seriously....who the F is Spaghetti?

I'm more of a pizza guy.

He is a member that got banned a few months ago. Apparently, you reminded LedRush of him.

Debut, Presto, Roll The Bones, and Feedback I NEVER listen to.

All the other albums range from listen to very rarely-listen to a lot.

Whoa, we're not-listen-to twins! Those are my four, too.

I'm more of a pizza guy.

He is a member that got banned a few months ago. Apparently, you reminded LedRush of him.

Must have been the first grade humor and the complete lack of cleverness.

• Like 1

I hope I have them all in the right order. If not, I ask your forgiveness.

The debut actually came after Caress of Steel. Other than that, i think you got them all chronologically correct.

• Like 3

Caress, Presto, Vapor, Feedback and Snakes.

Just listened to Test for Echo twice in 2 days.

Not sure what has changed, I think they will play a couple from it this tour

I'm more of a pizza guy.

Must have been the first grade humor and the complete lack of cleverness.

Oh a superiority complex. That's so unRush.

• Like 1

I don't listen to Test For Echo (I give it a chance every once in a great while, but not the whole album), and I don't listen to Vapor Trails. I didn't own it for years, up until yesterday. Received the remix in the mail, put it on, and made it through two songs. Still a big 'no'!

And I don't own Feedback; I've never heard it.

Those are the only three I can put in this category, though.

The more I hear from the likes of Jethro Tull, Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Starcastle, and other bands who wrote long-form epics, the less thrilled I am with Caress Of Steel, 2112, and Hemispheres.

Sorry, but they just like demo recordings and the more I hear from these other bands peak-periods, the less thrilled I am with Geddy's seventies vocals, and the compositions as a whole. I hate to compare, but the fact of the matter is that these other bands made what I believe to be far superior music, and it has affected my initial sense of awe that first hookd me onto Rush. Permanent Waves onwards, we are talking about an overall much better studio band.

Edited by Segue Myles

The more I hear from the likes of Jethro Tull, Yes, Kansas, Genesis, Starcastle, and other bands who wrote long-form epics, the less thrilled I am with Caress Of Steel, 2112, and Hemispheres.

Sorry, but they just like demo recordings and the more I hear from these other bands peak-periods, the less thrilled I am with Geddy's seventies vocals, and the compositions as a whole. I hate to compare, but the fact of the matter is that these other bands made what I believe to be far superior music, and it has affected my initial sense of awe that first hookd me onto Rush. Permanent Waves onwards, we are talking about an overall much better studio band.

Definitely a matter of taste. I also love some of the bands you mention (Close to the Edge, Supper's Ready, Thick as a Brick and even a Passion Play are all fantastic), but these epics sometimes tend to be meandering and kind of wacky in parts (and I don't mean that in a bad way). Hemispheres has a brilliant, tighter feel throughout most of it. I know some have complained that it recycles riffs, or whatever, but those riffs are magic—and when a story is being told it makes sense to think of riffs in terms of repeating themes. Strangely, I have never really thought of Lamneth as one "side-long song"--in the same way I wouldn't consider Clockwork Angels one long song. Lamneth has the first and last songs that sort of bookend the story, but everything in the middle is a separate work. No One at the Bridge and Panacea and Bacchus Plateau might be little chapters in the story, but they stand alone as separate songs.

I can't agree with your assessment of the quality of the sound, or of Lee's vocals. I think the sound of 2112 and Hemispheres is brilliant, and no one's vocals really compare to the passion of Lee's singing on Hemispheres. When I listen to that record, I can feel in my bones how he's giving it everything he has. It's an unbelievably unique voice. I would say the same thing about their playing, as well. Not to take anything away from Howe, Bruford, Rutherford, Collins—all those freakishly talented prog cats—but there's a furious precision and exquisite inventiveness to the music on those 70s Rush albums that stands alone and apart. Just my opinion, of course, and it's good to know that you have just as deep and profound appreciation for the bands you love.

Maybe these masterpieces really can't be compared. What really compares to Supper's Ready? What really compares to Hemispheres?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

HyF, RtB, Presto, Test for Echo and Feedback!

I never really ever get the urge to grab those five at all! I USED to say Vapor Trails, but since they re-released it, it sits better in my Brain

Edited by Jaminbenb

Definitely a matter of taste. I also love some of the bands you mention (Close to the Edge, Supper's Ready, Thick as a Brick and even a Passion Play are all fantastic), but these epics sometimes tend to be meandering and kind of wacky in parts (and I don't mean that in a bad way). Hemispheres has a brilliant, tighter feel throughout most of it. I know some have complained that it recycles riffs, or whatever, but those riffs are magic—and when a story is being told it makes sense to think of riffs in terms of repeating themes. Strangely, I have never really thought of Lamneth as one "side-long song"--in the same way I wouldn't consider Clockwork Angels one long song. Lamneth has the first and last song that sort of bookend the story, but everything in the middle is a separate work. No One at the Bridge and Panacea and Bacchus Plateau might be little chapters in the story, but they stand alone as separate songs.

I can't agree with your assessment of the quality of the sound, or of Lee's vocals. I think the sound of 2112 and Hemispheres is brilliant, and no one's vocals really compare to the passion of Lee's singing on Hemispheres. When I listen to that record, I can feel in my bones how he's giving it everything he has. It's an unbelievably unique voice. I would say the same thing about their playing, as well. Not to take anything away from Howe, Bruford, Rutherford, Collins—all those freakishly talented prog cats—but there's a furious precision and exquisite inventiveness to the music on those 70s Rush albums that stands alone and apart. Just my opinion, of course, and it's good to know that you have just as deep and profound appreciation for the bands you love.

Maybe these masterpieces really can't be compared. What really compares to Supper's Ready? What really compares to Hemispheres?

I think I am going through a bit of a down period regarding Rush. I honestly find that they don't impress me that much, and I will always love them, and I agree the tightness of tracks like Hemispheres and 2112 is both commendable and part of their greatness, but it lacks a certain magic that other bands have provided me with.

If I could turn back on my Rush Love button I would, but everything that drew me to them in the first place now sounds so dull. It started with a dislike of Hems and spread to the other epics. I really am glad they stopped writing these, and sort of wish they had stopped with 2112.

Its frustrating, losing touch with bands you love, but seventies Rush sounds so tame.

Although lately I have been wondering if the problem is that I do overly compare, as I am no longer certain Rush were ever actually full on prog.

Definitely a matter of taste. I also love some of the bands you mention (Close to the Edge, Supper's Ready, Thick as a Brick and even a Passion Play are all fantastic), but these epics sometimes tend to be meandering and kind of wacky in parts (and I don't mean that in a bad way). Hemispheres has a brilliant, tighter feel throughout most of it. I know some have complained that it recycles riffs, or whatever, but those riffs are magic—and when a story is being told it makes sense to think of riffs in terms of repeating themes. Strangely, I have never really thought of Lamneth as one "side-long song"--in the same way I wouldn't consider Clockwork Angels one long song. Lamneth has the first and last song that sort of bookend the story, but everything in the middle is a separate work. No One at the Bridge and Panacea and Bacchus Plateau might be little chapters in the story, but they stand alone as separate songs.

I think I am going through a bit of a down period regarding Rush. I honestly find that they don't impress me that much, and I will always love them, and I agree the tightness of tracks like Hemispheres and 2112 is both commendable and part of their greatness, but it lacks a certain magic that other bands have provided me with.

If I could turn back on my Rush Love button I would, but everything that drew me to them in the first place now sounds so dull. It started with a dislike of Hems and spread to the other epics. I really am glad they stopped writing these, and sort of wish they had stopped with 2112.

Its frustrating, losing touch with bands you love, but seventies Rush sounds so tame.

Although lately I have been wondering if the problem is that I do overly compare, as I am no longer certain Rush were ever actually full on prog.

No harm in taking a break. If you immerse yourself in Foxtrot (I don't know how you feel about post Gabriel albums like Wind & Wuthering) and A Passion Play and Minstrel in the Gallery—all that other stuff you mentioned, and maybe throw in a bit of Queen II—you might find after a few weeks that the deliciously bludgeoning force of Lifeson's guitar and the triplet-infused bass of Lee will be a welcome treat. I've gone away from bands and come back fairly full on.

One of the things about Rush that makes them stand out among their peers, in any era- whether it's the '70s albums or anytime after that- comparing them to those peers, they are the only band I can name who made their incredible music with only three members. Whether that is more remarkable or not remarkable at all is entirely subjective- but to me, it certainly is.

Last weekend I was watching La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine DVD, and my son was there, and he said, "I can't believe that all those sounds are coming from just three people."

:)

• Like 1

One of the things about Rush that makes them stand out among their peers, in any era- whether it's the '70s albums or anytime after that- comparing them to those peers, they are the only band I can name who made their incredible music with only three members. Whether that is more remarkable or not remarkable at all is entirely subjective- but to me, it certainly is.

Last weekend I was watching La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine DVD, and my son was there, and he said, "I can't believe that all those sounds are coming from just three people."

Have you checked out Muse?

Have you checked out Muse?

If he hasn't, he should prepare for it to be VERY EPIC!!!!