Rush Albums You Never Listen To

Lorraine

68 members have voted

1. 1. What Rush album(s) do you never listen to?

The only two albums every Rush fan appears to listen to are Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

Makes real sense they are the band's two best albums with Hemispheres coming in somewhere bewtween ninte and twelve.

One of the things about Rush that makes them stand out among their peers, in any era- whether it's the '70s albums or anytime after that- comparing them to those peers, they are the only band I can name who made their incredible music with only three members. Whether that is more remarkable or not remarkable at all is entirely subjective- but to me, it certainly is.

Last weekend I was watching La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine DVD, and my son was there, and he said, "I can't believe that all those sounds are coming from just three people."

:)

Have you checked out Muse?

If he hasn't, he should prepare for it to be VERY EPIC!!!!

I have never understood the appeal of Muse. To me their music sounds boring. A couple of years ago I downloaded what were supposed to be their most popular songs and put them on a CD. I listened to them in the car to and from work for about a week but they didn't do anything for me.

segue, your taste is wild. starcastle, a yes tribute band, better than RUSH?

Starcastle are the best rip off band ever. If I pretend their first three albums are yes, i love them exactly the same as all the bands pre-Tormato releases.

segue, you should check out the first asia album. I believe it will change your life and make you hate rush forever

i have it on vinyl, and it doesnt impress me half as much as toto or foreigner.
  • Like 1

No, I never have. Should I acquaint myself?

yes, without a doubt. Not as good as Rush, but great on their own merits. Fantastic live as well

segue, you should check out the first Asia album. I believe it will change your life and make you hate rush forever

SEIZE HIM!!!

segue, you should check out the first Asia album. I believe it will change your life and make you hate rush forever

SEIZE HIM!!!

I look forward to it.

SEIZE HIM!!!

I look forward to it.

Hmmmm, candle light and wine?

SEIZE HIM!!!

I look forward to it.

Hmmmm, candle light and wine?

He likes being handcuffed.

You can thank me some other time for the helpful hint. :cool:

• Like 1

One of the things about Rush that makes them stand out among their peers, in any era- whether it's the '70s albums or anytime after that- comparing them to those peers, they are the only band I can name who made their incredible music with only three members. Whether that is more remarkable or not remarkable at all is entirely subjective- but to me, it certainly is.

Last weekend I was watching La Villa Strangiato on the Time Machine DVD, and my son was there, and he said, "I can't believe that all those sounds are coming from just three people."

I have never understood the appeal of Muse. To me their music sounds boring. A couple of years ago I downloaded what were supposed to be their most popular songs and put them on a CD. I listened to them in the car to and from work for about a week but they didn't do anything for me.

Yeah, they're pretty damn overrated in my view, but I will say that they have a few tunes I really enjoy. However, they're borderline gimmicky in a Dream Theater sort of way :LOL:

Yeah, they're pretty damn overrated in my view, but I will say that they have a few tunes I really enjoy. However, they're borderline gimmicky in a Dream Theater sort of way :LOL:

I listened to some of their stuff and it's ok...But I can concur with the DT kind of vibe... (In fact I think the person that told me about them is a big DT head) I downloaded some live stuff just to see if that would trip my trigger, and not really...I'll just stick to the DT stuff I already own if I get into that kind of mood...no need to get on the wife's bad side by ordering another bands entire catalog! (like I did when I got into Spock's Beard several years back!)

I listened to some of their stuff and it's ok...But I can concur with the DT kind of vibe... (In fact I think the person that told me about them is a big DT head) I downloaded some live stuff just to see if that would trip my trigger, and not really...I'll just stick to the DT stuff I already own if I get into that kind of mood...no need to get on the wife's bad side by ordering another bands entire catalog! (like I did when I got into Spock's Beard several years back!)

Yeah DT is something else, I find them hilarious! :LOL: but I will concede that "On the Backs of Angels" is pretty rad. Spock's Beard is a band I've just started to check out lately and so far I'm decently impressed with their stuff! Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

It's a chunk. I'm soooooo not a fan, lol

Rush

Fly By Night

Grace under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Feedback

Vapor Trails

Clockwork Angels.

I apologize.......oh wait no i don't lol

Mick

Why don't you like Grace Under Pressure? Just curious to hear why you don't. :)

Seems like everyone fawns over it. but i just hate the style. i applaud em for branching but the style didn't suit Rush one bit. Whenever they play a grace song in concert.......i say this again!? lol

Mick

It sounds like The Police only with darker lyrics. And Geddy Lee singing instead of Sting.

I didn't really care for the change in their sound, moving away from the chunky fat Rickenbacker bass to the thinner Steinberger and Alex going from distortion to that thin processed sound that he continued to use well into the early '90s. But I understand the band wanted to always update their sound and not get stale.

• Like 1

It's a chunk. I'm soooooo not a fan, lol

Rush

Fly By Night

Grace under Pressure

Roll the Bones

Counterparts

Test For Echo

Feedback

Vapor Trails

Clockwork Angels.

I apologize.......oh wait no i don't lol

Mick

Why don't you like Grace Under Pressure? Just curious to hear why you don't. :)

Seems like everyone fawns over it. but i just hate the style. i applaud em for branching but the style didn't suit Rush one bit. Whenever they play a grace song in concert.......i say this again!? lol

Mick

It sounds like The Police only with darker lyrics. And Geddy Lee singing instead of Sting.

I didn't really care for the change in their sound, moving away from the chunky fat Rickenbacker bass to the thinner Steinberger and Alex going from distortion to that thin processed sound that he continued to use well into the early '90s. But I understand the band wanted to always update their sound and not get stale.

Speaking of the departure from the Rick, do you (or anyone) know what songs he used the Rickenbacker for on Signals?

I think it's very funny that Feedback has forty votes. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

It probably took a whole 2 days for them to record and produce this. If they sold 500 albums, they probably made money. My point is that they did this for the hell of it and not as a serious album. It's sort of like wondering why people don't like 'I think I'm Going Bald'.

• Like 1

Starcastle are the best rip off band ever. If I pretend their first three albums are yes, i love them exactly the same as all the bands pre-Tormato releases.

I love Starcastle. I saw them live back when they opened for Peter Frampton back in 1976. Roxy Music was also on the bill, which was really cool.

• Like 1

I love Starcastle. I saw them live back when they opened for Peter Frampton back in 1976. Roxy Music was also on the bill, which was really cool.

The more early Yes the better. Even if it is Starcastle.

Beautiful music, beautiful vocals, beautiful art...nothing to criticise them for.

• Like 1

MP should be one of mine too. Great record.........killed with over exposure. That one hasn't played in my house in months and months.

Mick

I find that too. I rarely listen to it, not because it isn't great but just because I've hear it so much over the years. Sometimes it's better to let things cool before delving back into them.

• Like 2